1994 NFL Throwbacks

CoasterLine

Are you sure that's from 1947? I'm not saying it's completely out of the question, but why would Hutson be in full gear when he retired two years prior? Either way, the unis from my pic are much more aesthetically pleasing, I don't know why they wouldn't just go with those.

Actually, I mis-typed. They say 1947, I think it's 1946. But in any case, it wouldn't have been unheardof for Hutson to wear a jersey in practice as a coach - somewhere I have a wire photo of him doing that in his first year post-retirement (I think it was because he threatened to retire many times before becoming a full-time coach).

Geesh... are there ANY Packer all-time greats who didn't have retirement snafus?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dallas Cowboys

mt92.jpg

Bad attempt. They fixed the inaccuracies in these a few years later, and currently wear the correct throwback as an alternate. This set contained their normal helmet, with the smaller star, and the wrong shade of blue between the shoulders and the helmet.

I should mention that the shade of Blue here in their uniforms WAS the correct shade of Blue used in the original unis.

Oh - and if anyone's interested, I do have the official Pantone values for all of these 1994 throwbacks...I could post a "retrospective" of the colors.

I worded it poorly, I meant more so that the current blue in their helmet logo didn't match the shoulders, not really that the shoulder color was wrong. That was my mistake.

As for posting a retrospective of the 1994 throwbacks, I'd love it see it :)

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

Uni Watch has the style sheets from all 28 teams here:

There are some differences from the final product (the Niners' helmet was intended to be logo-less).

And, the actual Niners helmet was intended to be Silver...they wore Gold nonetheless...

The back of the Bears was plain midnight blue. Cardinals had the small numbers on the front and I almost remember them having smaller than normal numbers on the back

The Cardinals' uniforms had small white numerals (maybe 8") on the upper right chest, and it had normal, full-size white numbers on the back. Three white sleeve stripes spaced rather far apart with the 'Cc' logo in between the top two. Five white stripes on the socks. Khaki pants. Blank white helmets with gray facemasks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The back of the Bears was plain midnight blue. Cardinals had the small numbers on the front and I almost remember them having smaller than normal numbers on the back

No, the Bears used their normal numbering and lettering for the backs of their jerseys, and what looks to be TV numbers for the fronts. This image is of a game used jersey, by the way.

NFL jerseys MUST have front and back numerals. No exceptions. That's the only reason why these Bears and Cardinals throwbacks had front numbers at all. The original uniforms they were based on did not.

16586_01_lg.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The Vikings sleeve design also ended up being different. The graphic shows the 3-stripe design, similar to the throwbacks they currently wear. In '94, they only had 2 stripes.

28445_01_lg.jpg

I'm not sure but I think that most players just cut their sleeves so the wider middle stripe was missing.

The Buccaneers wore their regular uniforms... but that was typical Bucs. Last year they wore an actual correct throwback. The Orange had changed between 1976 and 1994.

The orange changed between 1976 and 1977 and the actual 1976 orange jersey was only worn for one pre-season game. In 1994 no one wanted to go back to the original winless season so the Bucs "threw back" to 1979 when they made the playoffs for the first time - which meant their uniform was unchanged from the throwback year. That made the Bucs, Colts and Browns was the teams who really didn't have a unform to "throw back" to because they wore the same uniform (except for the Browns and Colts wearing white facemasks instead of grey). The Chiefs only had to remove the stripes from their jersey.

The Seahawks only used throwback jerseys; the helmet (blue facemask instead of grey) and pants (wider green stripes in 1994 than in 1976) were essentially the same.

I wonder which unis the teams will pick come 2019 for the 100th anniversary lol.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

The Buccaneers wore their regular uniforms... but that was typical Bucs. Last year they wore an actual correct throwback. The Orange had changed between 1976 and 1994.

The orange changed between 1976 and 1977 and the actual 1976 orange jersey was only worn for one pre-season game.

As I've mentioned in other threads, all NFL teams used custom ink matches for their colors prior to circa 1980. So when Pantone colors were finally implemented, teams began matching these custom inks to Pantone values, and sometimes there were close matches, sometimes there weren't.

Here is the color palette for the Buccaneers from 1976 through 1996:

TampaBayBuccaneers_FRC_1996_SOL_SRGB.png

However, when the Bucs unveiled their "Classic Throwback" uniforms, they used the following colors:

TampaBayBuccaneers_AUC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Note that the primary Orange is an exact match to the official version used in subsequent seasons. And, they used a custom lighter Orange (called "Orange Glaze") for the uniforms themselves. And a darker Red (for some reason).

I have an official Style Guide sheet for those 1976 uniforms. On this particular sheet, I would characterize the Orange as somewhere between the two Oranges in the throwback unis. And I would also say that the Red matches up almost exactly to the Red shown in the 1976-1996 palette. However, what was worn on-field doesn't always match what was intended; I'm sure the NFL decided to re-create the throwbacks based on what was actually worn, not what was shown in a Style Guide.

Archived