NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

BENGALS orange throwback jerseys: confirmed

REDSKINS: will be wearing yellow pants with the white jersey for the first time ever with that current logo ... last wore them against NY GIANTS when wearing their

old 'R' logo helmet

The Bengals jersey is an alternate, not a throwback.

The Redskins did wear yellow pants and white jersey with that logo back in the '70s...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BENGALS orange throwback jerseys: confirmed

REDSKINS: will be wearing yellow pants with the white jersey for the first time ever with that current logo ... last wore them against NY GIANTS when wearing their

old 'R' logo helmet

The Bengals jersey is an alternate, not a throwback.

The Redskins did wear yellow pants and white jersey with that logo back in the '70s...

You know, I can live with the four unmatched stripe sets when the Redskins wear the gold pants with the burgundy jerseys...but the white over gold set is a bridge too far for me. Bruce Allen may think he's honoring his daddy with this mess, but George Allen's only contribution to the 70s Redskins set is the helmet, which they've worn ever since. The pants...those were Vince Lombardi's idea...he basically put the Skins in re-colored Packers unis. What did the Skins win in that set? One NFC title. What did they win in the set they've worn since '79? One NFC title...and THREE SUPER BOWLS. All you need to do with the Skins regular set is narrow the pants stripe. If you want to drop the white pants for gold...OK, I guess. BUT DON'T WEAR 'EM WITH THE WITH THE WHITE JERSEYS!

62e7d4a5ac15a281ff0d1a28f2e3b9b8-getty-98708134gh006_washington_re.jpg

Please, Washington, never again.

Mismatched mishmash.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Fox just pointed out that one of the Vikings' many Williamses is going by "WILLAIMS" on his jersey this week.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Today's best: Raiders-Steelers. No other matchup comes close.

Today's worst: Redskins-Titans in a landslide! It was like the Smurfs vs Ronald McDonald.

Honorable mention: Bills-Bengals was also quite fugly.

6uXNWAo.png

Please, Washington, never again.

Mismatched mishmash.

Why don't they just wear the solid burgundy socks and ax the striped socks. That would look better in my opinion.

I agree. I also wish they'd lose the yellow facemask. I know they've had it since the advent of colored facemasks, but it's so garish. A burgundy or white facemask would look much better.

I prefer the burgundy pants on the road, but I actually like the yellow pants with the white jerseys. They're a nice change from the norm and I prefer them to how they look when they go all-white.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love this.

EDIT: I guess I don't wanna waste a post by just having 3 words, so I'll say this: The Cincinnati Bengals' orange alternate is my guilty pleasure. Has been for a long time now.

It's that time again kids... And now without further adieu it's this week's episode of... yeah, you know what? I'm not giving him the attention anymore.

Here are my picks for best and worst looking games of the week.

This week's best:

1. Raiders - Steelers: (Gotta go with Cujo on this one) Two of the best looks in the NFL facing off. The Raiders simply have the perfect football uniform. It is flawless. Great helmets on both sides. The only problem, and it's a minor one, is Pittsburgh's number font. This is what "professional" football is supposed to look like. Also, am I the only one who thinks the Raiders road look is even better than the home look?

Raiders_Steelers_Football.sff_75399_game.jpg

2a. Buccaneers - 49ers: Great game between a modern look and a traditional look. When it comes to "updates", no one has done it better than Tampa Bay. It's just a great looking uniform. The 49ers look is perfect.

Buccaneers_49ers_Football.sff_75702_game.jpg

2b. Colts - Patriots: Speaking of great match ups between modern and traditional, here's another one. Like Tampa Bay, New England did a damned fine job of "updating" themselves. You'd think teams like Arizona, Cincinnati, Minnesota, etc. could have followed the example set by the Bucs and Pats. Instead they decided clown suits were the way to go.

Colts_Patriots_Football.sff_75634_game.jpg

3. Giants - Eagles: Yet another good looking modern/traditional match up. The Eagles are yet another team that got their "update" right. The Giants are another team whose uniform is damn near perfect. The Eagles look is what I'd call a really good look but not a great look. Their shade of green just seems a little drab to me but it still looks pretty good.

Giants_Eagles_Football.sff_75728_game.jpg

4. Bears - Dolphins: I'm not crazy about dark pants but I can't deny the Bears still look pretty good with them. Great helmets and the Dolphins uniforms make up for the small issue I have with the Bears road look.

Bears_Dolphins_Football.sff_75282_game.jpg

This week's worst:

1. Bills - Bengals: Allow me to present the perfect storm of hideous uniforms. If we kept track of these things then I'd have to guess that this game holds the record for most ridiculous stripes and unnecessary panels in one game. This is what NFL football is never supposed to look like. To paraphrase Spinal Tap; "this game was an Australian's nightmare.

Bills_Bengals_Football.sff_75360_game.jpg

2. Broncos - Chargers: Since they haven't played it yet, there are no pictures for this one. For that, we should consider ourselves fortunate.

Other notes: There were a few "what might have been were it not for monochrome" games this week. Seahawks - Saints would have looked great but the Saints had to ruin it with the all black look. Same thing with Texans -Jets. The Jets need to send those green pants to a New Jersey landfill. Falcons - Rams could have looked good but the Rams blew it with the blue pants. Finally, Packers - Vikings would have been off the charts if the rumors about Minnesota wearing the throwbacks would have been true.

Screw the "problems" with them, the Redskins looked really good with the gold pants.

That's it for this week. Thanks for tuning in.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived