EBA - Elite Basketball Alliance

jaha32

Oh man... I love everything about these (especially the chest band) except the colors. I get that they're the colors of the Texas flag, but this set looks like something that belongs on a team from the east coast, not Austin. And they don't exactly evoke the "wild west" imagery you'd expect from a team call the Outlaws. I don't think you have a brown team yet and I can't get over how nice this package would look in brown and burnt (Texas) orange or perhaps some kind of gold (if you felt a need to downplay the connection to the Longhorns).

^_^

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the Racers and Claws. Great series.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Great logos jaha32, I just wanted to make you aware that I also used Austin Outlaws in my concept league. It does not bother me if it does not bother you, obviously, our logos are very different, and I just wanted to make you aware. Also, you mentioned that you were thinking about Buffalo Wings, that?s a name I?ve been tossing around too for my Buffalo team (I was going to use Braves but I don?t want to just reuse the Braves logo..). I will stay away from Wings if you are serious about using it and I will try to come up with something else. I am having fun watching your league progress, as I mentioned in a previous post, it?s a lot of fun seeing a different take on the same market.

My Outlwas logo

austin.png

Oh sorry to do another Austin Outlaws, but hopefully there's enough room in the universe for two teams with that name :P . I remember seeing that logo when I checked out your league, but I forgot the name was the same. I like the basketball with eyes and the bandana/hankerchief over it. If you want to do Buffalo Wings, that's fine. I probably wont be doing a Buffalo team for a while yet, and I dont mind if we both use the same name if you dont mind.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I will try to add the primary on the side pants and the A logo on the back of the jersey as well as on the court and post the changes in a day or two.

I will also look into changing the colors to something more western like illwauk and funkatron suggested. What about blue and brown? or should blue be out all together? black and orange?? Im not sure at this point...

I tried some brown and blue combos but nothing really looked good to me. Brown is a bit of a difficult color to work with in that you need a pop color to compliment it, but can't go overboard otherwise it starts to clash.

Perhaps if you go with a really dark brown (almost black but not quite), it will open your options up more.

Maybe black (or really dark brown), rust and a gold color?

I like the Outlaws set as a starting point, though I think it could be improved with more detail. The colors look okay to me and I completely get the reasoning behind them, but they could be improved (as others have said). I'd love to see more of a "western" palette, maybe with a dark, slightly desaturated brown, a bright orange, and two tones of silver. Just a thought.

It also seems like the logos are a bit generic. It seems like every time someone does an Outlaws/Bandits/whatevers concept, we see the same sort of mean cowboy with his mask. (This is not a knock on you or the work, by the way. I've done the exact thing myself.) So it would have been great so see a different visual representation here. But, I think if you go back and maybe give us a more "menacing" pose for the face (more pointed down, with an eye glaring from under the brim of the hat, perhaps?) and add a more detailed/stylized star (I was thinking of a beveled look like you're sort of using in the A logo, which is where two tones of silver would look nice), then this will be much improved.

I do really like the typography and the uniforms.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Did you use the Angels "A" logo for the outlaws? It looks very similar to the bottom of their logo. I don't know that there is anything wrong with that though.

Good question. Im surprised no one said anything earlier about the similarites. I dont have many fonts on my computer really so I end up making most of them from scratch and that's what I did here. I just drew the letters and then added the triangular-shaped things that go outward half up each letter to spice it up a little, and as I started to make the A secondary I was like,"damn, this looks too much like the Angels" but just kept going with it and even added the highlights similar to the Angels. If you look at the Angels A it is slightly different in that it has serifs (I think that's the word) on the bottom of each leg on the A and mine doesnt. but other than that, you're right, they are very very similar.

Did you use the Angels "A" logo for the outlaws? It looks very similar to the bottom of their logo. I don't know that there is anything wrong with that though.

Good question. Im surprised no one said anything earlier about the similarites. I dont have many fonts on my computer really so I end up making most of them from scratch and that's what I did here. I just drew the letters and then added the triangular-shaped things that go outward half up each letter to spice it up a little, and as I started to make the A secondary I was like,"damn, this looks too much like the Angels" but just kept going with it and even added the highlights similar to the Angels. If you look at the Angels A it is slightly different in that it has serifs (I think that's the word) on the bottom of each leg on the A and mine doesnt. but other than that, you're right, they are very very similar.

The only reason I probably noticed is that I am an Angels fan. I love their logo so I am not complaining, just wondering if you were doing it on purpose or if it was completely accidental.

I like the set though.

gyoung8.png

I like the Outlaws set as a starting point, though I think it could be improved with more detail. The colors look okay to me and I completely get the reasoning behind them, but they could be improved (as others have said). I'd love to see more of a "western" palette, maybe with a dark, slightly desaturated brown, a bright orange, and two tones of silver. Just a thought.

It also seems like the logos are a bit generic. It seems like every time someone does an Outlaws/Bandits/whatevers concept, we see the same sort of mean cowboy with his mask. (This is not a knock on you or the work, by the way. I've done the exact thing myself.) So it would have been great so see a different visual representation here. But, I think if you go back and maybe give us a more "menacing" pose for the face (more pointed down, with an eye glaring from under the brim of the hat, perhaps?) and add a more detailed/stylized star (I was thinking of a beveled look like you're sort of using in the A logo, which is where two tones of silver would look nice), then this will be much improved.

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen your work and hockey series, which is amazing, by the way. I will try to come up with a more western color palette, and funkatron has been giving me some suggestions too. I agree with you, that this set is pretty generic and there's nothing ground-breaking about it. It was originally a logo I did a few years ago and just cleaned it up recently, kind of playing it safe. Next time I sit down on Illustrator I'll see if I can change it some, not sure, although I dont want to over-do detail either, just as long as it's not as bland as the Rockets current logo.

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen your work and hockey series, which is amazing, by the way. I will try to come up with a more western color palette, and funkatron has been giving me some suggestions too. I agree with you, that this set is pretty generic and there's nothing ground-breaking about it. It was originally a logo I did a few years ago and just cleaned it up recently, kind of playing it safe. Next time I sit down on Illustrator I'll see if I can change it some, not sure, although I dont want to over-do detail either, just as long as it's not as bland as the Rockets current logo.

I suggested brown with either burnt orange or gold.

And not every use of the name Outlaws has to be a cowboy... case in point :D (last one on the page). I don't have a problem with the current logo, but if you wanted to avoid being "typical," you could go with a musical theme since Austin is the birthplace of "outlaw country" which itself was popularized by longtime Austin resident Willie Nelson. The primary music venue in Austin during that time was called Armadillo World Headquarters, which could lend itself to a cool secondary logo/mascot. Obviously it wouldn't be a complete departure from cowboyism since it has to do with country music, but it would at least help you veer from such a straight-ahead interpretation of the Outlaws name while putting a local spin on it.

And again, my suggestion is only if you feel like your concept it too generic. This is already one of the best Outlaws concepts I've seen at these boards as it stands right now.

And not every use of the name Outlaws has to be a cowboy... case in point :D (last one on the page). I don't have a problem with the current logo, but if you wanted to avoid being "typical," you could go with a musical theme since Austin is the birthplace of "outlaw country" which itself was popularized by longtime Austin resident Willie Nelson. The primary music venue in Austin during that time was called Armadillo World Headquarters, which could lend itself to a cool secondary logo/mascot. Obviously it wouldn't be a complete departure from cowboyism since it has to do with country music, but it would at least help you veer from such a straight-ahead interpretation of the Outlaws name while putting a local spin on it.

And again, my suggestion is only if you feel like your concept it too generic. This is already one of the best Outlaws concepts I've seen at these boards as it stands right now.

I dont know if I will use brown and orange together. I know burnt orange works for the Longhorns silhouette logo, and Funkatron also sent me messages with this logo recolored using brown and orange together, but for my personal taste ,those colors dont have not enough contrast in this particular logo or these jerseys.

And you,re right, it doesnt have to be a cowboy. (I like that name, wranglers for your team in that link.) I sometimes wonder if Texans get tired of the western/cowboy theme that so many teams in that state use, so you present some alternative options for Austin that are good ideas, but I work so slow on Illustrator that I dont know if Im up for it.

I actually have no problem with the logo I made or it being typical, Im always for improving logos and my skills, but I dont even compare my logos with eachother, all I try to do is make a quality/believable identity that works for each individual team, and Im happy.

If I get around to doing a Nashville team, I'll see if I can come up with something music related like you suggested here for Austin.

Thanks for the ideas :)

I dont know if I will use brown and orange together. I know burnt orange works for the Longhorns silhouette logo, and Funkatron also sent me messages with this logo recolored using brown and orange together, but for my personal taste ,those colors dont have not enough contrast in this particular logo or these jerseys.

And you,re right, it doesnt have to be a cowboy. (I like that name, wranglers for your team in that link.) I sometimes wonder if Texans get tired of the western/cowboy theme that so many teams in that state use, so you present some alternative options for Austin that are good ideas, but I work so slow on Illustrator that I dont know if Im up for it.

I actually have no problem with the logo I made or it being typical, Im always for improving logos and my skills, but I dont even compare my logos with eachother, all I try to do is make a quality/believable identity that works for each individual team, and Im happy.

If I get around to doing a Nashville team, I'll see if I can come up with something music related like you suggested here for Austin.

No problem! But my team is actually the Brew City Outlaws... the last team in the specific post I linked to. I probably should've specified that (my bad!). I went with a Harley/Biker theme, which is pretty much the only way a name like Outlaws can make sense in a place like Milwaukee.

No problem! But my team is actually the Brew City Outlaws... the last team in the specific post I linked to. I probably should've specified that (my bad!). I went with a Harley/Biker theme, which is pretty much the only way a name like Outlaws can make sense in a place like Milwaukee.

Oops, dont I feel dumb now. :P I like your Harley theme for Milwaukee having lived there myself. Kind of like the Iron in the AFL do but their logo sucks. With my outlaw logo here the logo actually preceded the name so I was more about finding a name for the logo. I was originally going to call them the Sixshooters after the gun (but that name makes more sense for hockey since there are 6 players on the ice and only 5 on the court so I changed it to Outlaws after suggestions).

The colors are changed to black and yellow with a grayish tan outline. I dont know if it's as "western" as some had hoped, but I couldnt get myself to use brown as the primary color in this set. This color combo is unique to the EBA league so far. It also means 6 of the 12 teams have black to some extent, but I will try to not use black as much for future teams. I also added some logos to the jerseys.

dgnmrwrw, I started to change the angle on the cowboy, but after working on it I realized I would have had to start from scratch to do that, which I wasnt up for. Besdies, I think what I have is pretty good, maybe not awesome, but I'm ok with that.

Thanks for the help to those of you who helped come up with new colors.

OUTLAWS-1.gif

I like it! I think it looks western enough, and still offers the nice contrast that you are looking for.

As far as black becoming a dominant color, I can honestly say looking at all the logos, I don't see one that I would really consider BFBS. Someone could maybe make an argument for the Skyhawks, but that is my favorite logo, and I love the color combo.

Archived