EBA - Elite Basketball Alliance

jaha32

Let me start by saying what an amazing job you've done on all these designs. I feel like I should have more than that for tribute, but I just plowed through the whole thread in about an hour, and I'm kind of overwhelmed. Random high points (by no means all of them, as there's so much awesome in what you've done): I'm a big fan of the Skyhawks (although I liked the gray better than the gold), the Austin "hat" logo, the sheer 90's-ness of the Hammerheads...and I love love LOVE the logo for the Spirit.

Couple things I picked up along the way:

Someone asked about using "Albuquerque" on the Fire's alt, and yeah, that's too long. How about just ALB, like what the Suns do on their alt (as was discussed in regards to the Cincy alt for your Royals)?

Nashville: I was going to suggest you call them the Troubadours, but it seems GeoTheo already had that idea. (Very cool design on that, Geo--I like the western shirt-looking jerseys especially.) There's still some options, though...perhaps the Highwaymen (which has a country connection, with the song) or Ramblers. Or if you want to go in a different direction, maybe the Bloodhounds?

Pioneers: I like that name for Omaha a little better than St. Paul. Also, I'm hoping a covered wagon will be involved.

Mobsters: A tommy gun might be a good alternate logo for them.

That's all I have for now. Keep up the incredible work!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great update! The court is sick, and I like the updated striping on the unis. My only suggestion would be to put "Hammerheads" on the butt of the red jersey, since you have "Jax" on the front.

Thanks, mcbannon. Good idea on the butt logo. I will make that change.

Let me start by saying what an amazing job you've done on all these designs. I feel like I should have more than that for tribute, but I just plowed through the whole thread in about an hour, and I'm kind of overwhelmed. Random high points (by no means all of them, as there's so much awesome in what you've done): I'm a big fan of the Skyhawks (although I liked the gray better than the gold), the Austin "hat" logo, the sheer 90's-ness of the Hammerheads...and I love love LOVE the logo for the Spirit.

Someone asked about using "Albuquerque" on the Fire's alt, and yeah, that's too long. How about just ALB, like what the Suns do on their alt (as was discussed in regards to the Cincy alt for your Royals)?

Nashville: I was going to suggest you call them the Troubadours, but it seems GeoTheo already had that idea. (Very cool design on that, Geo--I like the western shirt-looking jerseys especially.) There's still some options, though...perhaps the Highwaymen (which has a country connection, with the song) or Ramblers. Or if you want to go in a different direction, maybe the Bloodhounds?

Pioneers: I like that name for Omaha a little better than St. Paul. Also, I'm hoping a covered wagon will be involved.

Thanks for taking a look at the thread and your ideas, CoolHand.

I like your Ramblers idea for Nashville, but the more I think about Bloodhounds, I like that too. I think I will definitely use one of those when I get around to making them. As far as the Mobsters tommy gun logo, I actually made a logo with a tommygun a few years back for that name, but it was when i was just starting out on Illustrator and it's not that good. Besides, I dont think it'd work in today's PC world.

Some of you might have noticed that my pace has slowed down some lately. Now that the weather is getting warmer around here, I don't think I will be indoors as much designing. It was a good winter project and I still plan to keep at it, but not as often. So even if this thread slips back a few pages, I haven't forgotten about it, I'm just working a little slower.

Another thing. I have this team named teh Generals (a George Washington themed logo) and I'm thinking of putting them in Virginia since that is the only place that makes sense other than Washington, DC, but they have the Wizards, so I might move the Virginia Marauders to another coastal city. Any good ideas where if the city has a decent arenas? Somewhere in the Carolina's? Tampa? Does Oakland work? Or should they stay put?

Great update! The court is sick, and I like the updated striping on the unis. My only suggestion would be to put "Hammerheads" on the butt of the red jersey, since you have "Jax" on the front.

Thanks, mcbannon. Good idea on the butt logo. I will make that change.

Thanks for taking a look at the thread and your ideas, CoolHand.

I like your Ramblers idea for Nashville, but the more I think about Bloodhounds, I like that too. I think I will definitely use one of those when I get around to making them. As far as the Mobsters tommy gun logo, I actually made a logo with a tommygun a few years back for that name, but it was when i was just starting out on Illustrator and it's not that good. Besides, I dont think it'd work in today's PC world.

Some of you might have noticed that my pace has slowed down some lately. Now that the weather is getting warmer around here, I don't think I will be indoors as much designing. It was a good winter project and I still plan to keep at it, but not as often. So even if this thread slips back a few pages, I haven't forgotten about it, I'm just working a little slower.

Another thing. I have this team named teh Generals (a George Washington themed logo) and I'm thinking of putting them in Virginia since that is the only place that makes sense other than Washington, DC, but they have the Wizards, so I might move the Virginia Marauders to another coastal city. Any good ideas where if the city has a decent arenas? Somewhere in the Carolina's? Tampa? Does Oakland work? Or should they stay put?

Hmmm...I'm not sure about arenas but could Baltimore or Pittsburgh work? Tampa could be cool, too. I would try to keep them out of Washington, however.

25yzwqg.png

@Jaha, Tampa would be a pretty good fit your Marauders if you wanted to put the generals in VA. Oakland seems like a stretch and it might be too similar to the Raiders. South Carolina would be a nice fit for them but the markets there are a little small compared to your other markets (Charleston makes the most sense and the MSA is about 66000,Columbia is the biggest at 744000). Only other spot I can think of it San Diego but it dosent fit the best and the sports arena was bad 20 years ago.

The jacksonville update looks so 90's and is just great.

@Coolhand, thanks for the props on the Troubadours, I've been working on updates and maybe Ill get around to finishing and posting.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm thinking Tampa will work best. Altough the Tampa Bay area is well represented already in major league sports, I will use just Tampa for the name here rather than the whole Bay area which includes St. Pete. The Marauder theme kind of matches the Buccaneers too in many ways. I don't plan on using Pittsburgh or Seattle at all, although Baltimore is a distant possibility in the future, depending on how many teams I go with.

GeoTheo, as much as South Carolina could use a pro team and I looked into the possibility, none of their cities are very large like you said. I also already placed the Condors in San Diego in that old sports arena, which Ive never been to, but can tell from photos it's old. At first I considered the old Cox Arena now the Verijas Center or something like that where SDSU plays, for the Condors but I went with the bigger, yet crappier of the two.

For the first time I'm going way back and editing a team's jerseys and court. Something about the Hammerheads' jerseys wasn't working before for my taste (some might remember I even experimented with gradients on these jerseys :wacko:), so I changed the piping keeping the numbers and wordmark the same. I also wasnt liking the court I made previously, and have changed it to this. I am more satisfied with this look. I was slightly inspired by the LA All Star Game court with it's swooshy things on the baseline although my sidecourt here is much less wild than the All Star court.

HAMMERHEADS_jerseys.gif

Dude, great job with the court. It looks sick! Every one of your designs are great, these teams look like they can be in a professional league. Each and every one of your designs are unique and nothing like any sports teams I have seen. All I can say is WOW!

Man... This series of logos for your league is EPIC!!! Too many good ones for me to choose a favorite. Right up there with Fraser Davidson for me as one to watch on this board. I can see why you didn't post for a while... you were quite busy!

Right now I'm currently working on creating logos and uniforms for the fantasy football league that I am in and I see I am gonna have to work at this cuz you sent the bar high!

Just one question for ya, what was the typeface you set the Empire State Monarchs logo in?

And thanks for the inspiration!

And here is a slight update to the red alt jersey with the "Hammerheads" word on the butt rather than the JAX which was redunant before.

HAMMERHEADS-jerseys-2.gif

@Ragone - thanks. that's what I try to do when I make these, to make them look as if they could believably used by an actual team.

@oneblankcanvas - thank you also for the comments. For the Monarchs I started out with the University of New Hampshire's font and added some extra serifs of my own to fit my liking.

Jaha, you could just keep the Marauders in Norfolk and put the Generals in Richmond...

Good thought, sizemore. I actually think that could work since theyre both decent sized cities. The only problem, and I thought about this when re-considering locations, is that I think it would be strange to have such a patriotic theme of Washington the General in the one-time Confederate capital. It might not matter, but it just doesnt seem to be the best match. maybe swapping the nicknames for each city could work.

I say, go ahead and put the Generals in DC, and leave the Marauders in Virginia. Sometimes you've just gotta say "damn the man."\

I don't know what that's supposed to mean in this context, but I'm standing by it.

I was kind of thinking the same thing, too. Not so much the "damn the man" part, but DC does seem the most logical place for them. I've struggled with my league on where to put teams, and with me it comes down to put them where you want them.

Not that it really matters, but I would probably have your Cincinnati team playing at the Cintas Center instead of US Bank Arena. Hell, I'd probably put them at UD Arena in Dayton and call them the Dayton Royals.

The Cintas Center would also work fine, you're right. Im sure it's nicer than US Bank Arena, but for the most part Im trying to choose arenas with at least 13,000 and above unless the city just doesnt have anything else, and the Cintas Center is somewhere around 10,000. I guess since I've never been to any of the arenas Im using, there's a good chance Im using crappy arenas, but Im thinking some of them might have an old rustic mystique to them.

I really like all your logos. I like the Louisville team. There is all of talk a about bring a NBA team to Louisville and I think that one would great for them.

thanks man!

Is there going to be a team in the state of Washington, like Tacoma or Spokane?

Im not planning on it. Spokane has a decent arena I know, but it just seems too small of a market.

In my mind I kind of group cities by population or relevance which isnt an exact science, maybe not even accurate, but it goes something like this:

1- NYC, LA, Chicago, maybe Houston

2- major cities that already have plenty of real pro teams like Dallas, Philadelphia, St.Louis, Atlanta, Boston, etc...

3- cities with only one/two pro team or none but are up there in population such as Jacksonville, Sacramento, San Jose, Memphis, Buffalo, Milwaukee

4- large/important cities in their region that have no pro teams such as Albuquerque, Birmingham, Omaha, Lousiville

5 - somewhat large cities, but not quite on the radar such as Spokane, Anchorage, Des Moines, Tacoma, Durham, Corpus Christi

So that's just a little info as how I choose my markets and Im trying to stay within that group 3-4 range in this league. Of course there are exceptions in this league like Albany, but I wanted to use the Empire State name since I loved the idea. Sometimes I just want to use a name like Empire State or Long Island since it's a major area, but the name is rarely used in major sports.

So yeah I kind of went on a tangent there but yeah.

What about Vancouver?

It all depends on if I go into Canada or not. Right now I'm thinking no.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After debating where to put this team, I decided to leave them in DC as intended and CoolHand agrees.

This logo I did almost 2 years ago and posted it here and I was thinking I might change it more or switch things up before posting it again just because it's rather cartoony, but I left it the same for the most part. It took me a while to think of what kind of jerseys to do here. I went with this look. My first thought was I might have overdone the star theme and they look more like AllStar game jerseys in a way, but I think they might work.

The player is Dave Bing who is a Washington, D.C. native.

GENERALS-2.gif

GENERALS_jerseys.gif

Another great concept! The logos are freakin' awesome, and I really like the unis. And you definitely didn't overdo the stars on the unis...it actually look me a minute to see them, but I love it.

My only complaint is the court. The white lane has to go, and something about the logos you used just don't look right to me for some reason, especially the DC. It looks great on the alternate uni, but it just doesn't work on the court for me.

Archived