EBA - Elite Basketball Alliance

jaha32

Quick question: Why are the Empire State Monarchs not in the Metro Division with the other New York teams in your graphic on page 1?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jaha : after following this thread for quite sometime, I am convince you are the person that I would like to hire to help me with my athletic departments rebranding project. I am a basketball coach a highschool in Alaska, and I have been put on charge of the branding of our athletics department. Since the schools opening in 1975 we have not had a consistent logo amongst our athletics department. This obviously is a huge problem. I would love to speak with you about either creating a logo or even starting me on my way to creating one. Either way you would be compensated.

School name : West Valley Wolf Pack

Colors : red and gold

Let me know if you are interested

I sent you an e-mail by going to your member profile page and clicking "click here to send e-mail". Let me know if you got it. I'd be interested in hearing more about this project.

Quick question: Why are the Empire State Monarchs not in the Metro Division with the other New York teams in your graphic on page 1?

Good eye. I'm not sure if you saw, but on page 44 of this long thread I reposted Empire State because they relocated west to Buffalo. Albany is so small and I wanted to put a team in Providence (since mid-size cities with no pro sports teams like Birmingham, Albuquerque, Louisville, Austin, Las Vegas, and Providence are the kind of cities I originally was aiming to use in this league, although I've used larger cities too out of necessity). If Empire State stayed in Albany, that would be 6 teams crammed into the Northeast corner and each division can only have 5. Page 42 also has a map of the general layout of divisions. When I started this thread I also didnt plan anything geographically. I just posted the teams as I completed each team not worrying about divisions too much. just a little. Now the divisions arent falling into place perfectly, but in real life leagues, that is sometimes the case too. Located in Buffalo, they dont really fit into any division very well, and although they arent a coastal city, I put them in with the four coastal cities which arent too far away. It might not be a perfect fit, but I thought it's close enough.

When will the 29th and 30th franchises be awarded?

I want to get going on the final two teams soon, especially since this thing is so close to being finished, but I have no new ideas right now. I have to wait until a good idea comes to me rather than forcing something when I have nothing. I hope I get the next team done within a few weeks, but I can't say for sure.

Not sure if you're taking suggestions for your 29 and 30, but Staten Island, The Bronx, or Atlantic City would fit nicely in the Metro, and the Midwest needs a team somewhere in Michigan!

SI and the Bronx don't have suitable arenas...AC's Boardwalk Hall could work though.

As for the Midwest Division, if you don't go with Des Moines, Grand Rapids would be a good secondary location if you do get to Michigan.

bYhYmxh.png

How about Anchorage, Alaska:

720K population

Interesting place that LOVES basketball.

Believe it or not (contrary to popular belief) Alaska is a BASKETBALL, not Hockey, State.

I'd Call the team the Alaska Freeze

Notable Players from Alaska:

Carlos Boozer (Juneau/Chicago Bulls)

Mario Chalmers(Anchorage/Miami Heat)

Brad Oleson (Fairbanks/Caja Laboral-Spainish ACB)

Parrish West (2011-12 D2 National Player of the Year - University of Alaska-Fairbanks)

Back in the 80s teams would play exhibition games in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Stands would be packed so tight that there was barely standing room.

I would love to see you create the Alaska Freeze

Not sure if you're taking suggestions for your 29 and 30, but Staten Island, The Bronx, or Atlantic City would fit nicely in the Metro, and the Midwest needs a team somewhere in Michigan!

SI and the Bronx don't have suitable arenas...AC's Boardwalk Hall could work though.

As for the Midwest Division, if you don't go with Des Moines, Grand Rapids would be a good secondary location if you do get to Michigan.

I've pretty much decided to go with Providence and Iowa. As a Midwesterner myself, I would have liked to put more teams in the Midwest. The problem is that since I'm trying to stay out of NBA cities for the most part, most Midwestern states have one large city with an NBA team alreayd, and then the second biggest city is a big jump down in terms of population. Illinois has got Chicago and then nothing close. Indiana has Indianapolis and nothing close at second. Wisconsin has Milwaukee, and Madison is just a little too small. Michigan's got Detroit, but then Grand Rapids is a lot smaller at number 2, and plus the name Grand Rapids just sounds like a small town. In the real world, no league would reject a qualified city for that reason, but since this is fake, I can. So although Des Moines will be the smallest market in the league, due to the lack of Midwest teams, they will get a team.e

720K population

Interesting place that LOVES basketball.

Believe it or not (contrary to popular belief) Alaska is a BASKETBALL, not Hockey, State.

I'd Call the team the Alaska Freeze

Notable Players from Alaska:

Carlos Boozer (Juneau/Chicago Bulls)

Mario Chalmers(Anchorage/Miami Heat)

Brad Oleson (Fairbanks/Caja Laboral-Spainish ACB)

Parrish West (2011-12 D2 National Player of the Year - University of Alaska-Fairbanks)

Back in the 80s teams would play exhibition games in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Stands would be packed so tight that there was barely standing room.

I would love to see you create the Alaska Freeze

Hi Coach. Way back Anchorage did cross my mind. I know the Great Alaskan Shootout for college ball is a big deal. But, Sullivan Arena is the largest venue that I know of in the state and since I am mostly trying to go with realistic size arenas, it's just a little too small to host a team.

720K population

I think your numbers might be a bit off. Unless nobody lives in the rest of Alaska.

You'd be surprised how close to true your statement is!! haha I made a mistake and put the population of the entire state in that last post. Anchorage has like 260k, Fairbanks around 30 or 40k

Maybe either of these will pique your interest in the coming weeks, jaha. Keep up the creative work!

Iowa Threshers

Providence Commodores

Providence had a Steam Rollers franchise in decades past also. It might be fun to breath new life into that little bit of history too, as new franchises sometimes do.

although Des Moines will be the smallest market in the league, due to the lack of Midwest teams, they will get a team.e

I'm glad your using Iowa. I cant wait to see with what you come up with. Des Moines may be the smallest city and metro area, but its a similar sized media market to some of your markets. Ranking 73rd the Des Moines media market population is 663,900, putting it ahead of Omaha (75th, 659,400), and just behind Albuquerque (68th, 749,400) and Tulsa (66th, 775,700).

http://www.arbitron....me/mm001050.asp

Using metropolitan populations can be deceiving because "The OMB (U.S. Office of Management & Budget) defines a Metropolitan Statistical Area as one or more adjacent

counties or county equivalents that have at least one urban core area of at least 50,000 population, plus adjacent territory that has a high degree of social and economic integration with the core as measured by commuting tie." Therefore the Des Moines MSA does not include Ames/Story county (which is its own MSA). Even though they are adjoining counties they do not have a high enough degree of economic integration to be combined, but they are very much related in other ways and are very much in the same media market.

Can you tell I'm a geography dweeb?

Maybe either of these will pique your interest in the coming weeks, jaha. Keep up the creative work!

Iowa Threshers

Providence Commodores

Providence had a Steam Rollers franchise in decades past also. It might be fun to breath new life into that little bit of history too, as new franchises sometimes do.

The SteamRollers did cross my mind, but I didnt like the name. So then I thought Steamers could be a shortened version still paying homage to the old team, but that sounds more like a boat or train to me.

although Des Moines will be the smallest market in the league, due to the lack of Midwest teams, they will get a team.e

I'm glad your using Iowa. I cant wait to see with what you come up with. Des Moines may be the smallest city and metro area, but its a similar sized media market to some of your markets. Ranking 73rd the Des Moines media market population is 663,900, putting it ahead of Omaha (75th, 659,400), and just behind Albuquerque (68th, 749,400) and Tulsa (66th, 775,700).

http://www.arbitron....me/mm001050.asp

Using metropolitan populations can be deceiving because "The OMB (U.S. Office of Management & Budget) defines a Metropolitan Statistical Area as one or more adjacent

counties or county equivalents that have at least one urban core area of at least 50,000 population, plus adjacent territory that has a high degree of social and economic integration with the core as measured by commuting tie." Therefore the Des Moines MSA does not include Ames/Story county (which is its own MSA). Even though they are adjoining counties they do not have a high enough degree of economic integration to be combined, but they are very much related in other ways and are very much in the same media market.

Can you tell I'm a geography dweeb?

Yea I can tell, Geo. ha. I guess sometimes numbers are just numbers. I remember a few years back Louisville's population almost tripled simply because they began including the county's population with the city's. Statistically it looked like 450,000 people moved there overnight.

Sorry if I'm nitpicking, but I think the Birmingham Bees logo would be perfect if the bee wasn't missing two arms and two legs :P

The other legs are hidden behind the wordmark. Sure, the legs might be visible if they dangled down, but that would just look strange and clutter up the logo. Plus only the abdomen is visible. Legs don't come out from the abdomen. All 6 legs come out of the the thorax, and the thorax is almost completely hidden. And if the science isn't reason enough to leave off the legs, then I will just go with "it's a cartoon".

• 2 weeks later...

The next team is the Providence Waves. I had a hard time coming up with a name for a team in Providence. Gems, Saints, Knights, Reds, Gunners, all were considered, but since Rhode Island is "The Ocean State" I went with a name relating to the ocean. For now, it's just the primary logo. There will also be a partial logo with the the oval, ball, and waves (just minus the wordmark). Jerseys to come.

WAVES.gif

I think the font effects may be a little too much. I find myself having to search for what the "waves" script says because of how distracting it is. I'd suggest either gettin rid of the green shadow or white highlights within the script.

Other than that, looks fantastic. Another great addition to the league!

2043050vl19qK6.gif

I think the font effects may be a little too much. I find myself having to search for what the "waves" script says because of how distracting it is. I'd suggest either gettin rid of the green shadow or white highlights within the script.

Other than that, looks fantastic. Another great addition to the league!

I will look into that with the font highlights and see what I can do. I added the white highlights at the end just because the top half of the logo was less dynamic without white, while the bottom half had plenty of white, so it looked odd without even color distribution from top to bottom.

EDIT: I now think part of the problem with not immediately being able to read the word might be the letter A, and not so much the highlights, especially since the A doesnt have the part that crosses the middle. By adding the middle of the A, it should make the word much more legible I hope

Archived