Columbus Blue Jackets Third Jersey News?

nash61

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there at the uniform unveiling. I ultimately did end up going with my friend Sam and once we got to the mall, I immediately regretted it. I took a spot up near the stage in what I thought would be a good place to get some close shots. I was told by a security guard that I wasn't allowed to stand there. I moved a few feet back and stood against one of the storefronts and then waited impatiently through 15 minutes of hockey. The waiting was annoying because I was sandwiched in between a group of dorky (DORKY) high school kids, and an Indian family who didn't know what they were watching, but thought they would stand and see what all the hoopla was about. Their toddler in the stroller was almost as impatient as me. With about two minutes remaining in the period a bunch of people flooded the area where I was previously evacuated from. This irked me as they weren't told to move, and they were tall. Taller than me. After the last commercial break the uniforms were unveiled by unfurling jersey shaped banners from the second floor railing. I couldn't see this as I was underneath the overhang. Instead I stood on my toes to see 5 people including former Blue Jacket great Tyler Wright wearing the new jerseys.

I couldn't snap any good shots like I promised because I got stuck behind some tall kids and a lady with a stroller who couldn't care less was in my way. I went to the team store to check out a jersey on the rack, but we were being kept back (presumably so they could create some sort of giant mob dash?) and I couldn't snap any shots there either. My buddy and I left after this. The response was relatively positive. People cheered, there were polite claps, and then a few attention seekers expressed their distaste in yelling form.

As for the uniforms themselves

- they aren't better than the normal home or away, but I am overjoyed that the light blue that was rumored is actually royal blue and we didn't come out in Florida Panthers knockoffs (which are actually knockoffs themselves so they could've been knockoffs of knockoffs).

- I feel like the colors are rather dull

- The number font is unique, but I don't like it and I really hate the Capatain's "C" and it doesn't at all fit with the more traditional uniform.

- I love the front logo. I hate the trend of putting your logo in a circle with outlining script, but I like what they've done here and a lot of that has to do with the ribbon that houses the lettering. The cannon logo isn't overly detailed and does enough to convey what a Blue Jacket is. I'm also really glad that the star is actually apart of the circular logo and not slapped willy-nilly on the chest.

- The yoke and collar are reminiscent of the old Tampa Bay uniforms and I think the colors are relatively sharp together, but I'm surprised that the shoulders completely lack either the primary logo or the secondary logo. I guess both contain the dreaded red, but who cares if one logo has a color that is absent from the rest of the uniform? It happens all the time with hockey uniforms.

- The pants stripe will not match the jersey stripes and it won't match the yoke either, which is royal-white-royal. Missed opportunity to really tie the whole uniform together. Now you have three mismatched elements working against each other within the same uniform.

- I like that the socks will have the same stripes that appear on the hem and sleeves. I freaking hate when the jersey has a striping pattern and the socks don't match it.

I HATE the new mascot. A team with the initials BJ need to do whatever they can to avoid phallic imagery and our new mascot is a mustachioed silver dildo. I'm pretty sure that Stinger isn't going anywhere. The cannon guy is just one of those inflatable things, but I wish someone would pop him.

So I went to the mall to get some good close-up photos and to be one of the first to see the thing. I failed in both aspects and left crabbier than ever despite being mildly pleased at the site of the jersey. I will say that if I ever get the opportunity to go to another uniform unveiling in a public place, I'm going to skip it, especially if it's going to be simulcast at the exact same time. It's like Woody Allen said in Annie Hall, "I wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would accept me as a member." That's how I feel. I love logos and uniforms and I love talking about logos and uniforms, but the kind of people who go to a jersey unveiling are the epitome of dorkiness. You guys watching on TV probably had a better, more relaxing view of the unveiling anyway. Also, I nearly died thanks to hydroplaning in Sam's car on the way home.

Jersey grade: B-

experience grade: F, but at least the Blue Jackets scored twice and I got to celebrate with strangers.

I'll be there to see them in action on Friday so I'll post about how I feel when I see them under arena lights and in motion. Up close, they might look pretty sharp. I guess I'm glad that they're not totally terrible. At least they aren't that bad, which in this day of the edge, is pretty good.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not a fan of Let's Play Soldiers sloganeering and imagery., which they're kind of doing on the website with this "we fight, we march" stuff. No, you play a game.

Oh, and that's also quite close to the Panthers' thirds. Grrreeaaat.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Let me clarify my BOO.

The logo is good, but it's the same as other teams, just like everyone else has said. Where's the red? When I think Columbus Blue Jackets, I think blue with a bit of red.

I liked the video on Columbus' site where they talk about the development of the new jersey....up to the point when they said "the NHL is involved so we know where other teams are going". That's so you don't COPY another team's look/branding.

WTF? Florida's third has been out for a whole year and you thought copying them was a good idea?

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

In Columbus' defense, if any team deserves to have a blue alternate, it probably is the Blue Jackets. If they went with a red alternate jersey, people would be complaining how the team is called the Blue Jackets and not the Red Jackets.

I like it. It's classy.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

In Columbus' defense, if any team deserves to have a blue alternate, it probably is the Blue Jackets. If they went with a red alternate jersey, people would be complaining how the team is called the Blue Jackets and not the Red Jackets.

I like it. It's classy.

Agreed, and if they added red trim to their alternate it would be too similar to their exisiting home uniform. That's probably why they limited it to the shades of blue, to at least make it unique to their set while keeping the jersey blue.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

My likes: No piping or half-finished stripes; white shoulder yokes always look good; the colors do work together; the use of the team's letter font

My dislikes: The similarity to other recent thirds (Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Nashville, Florida); The logo (a cannon?); the square numbers; the use of non-club colors and ditching red; the corny recent trend of putting stuff inside the hem where it can't even be seen by the public.

As a uniform, it works okay. However, I dislike a lot of the trendy stuff on it and much prefer the regular look of the team.

Archived