Columbus Blue Jackets Third Jersey News?

nash61

Aren't alternate jerseys usually designed to go against the primary uniform set of a team? That is, aren't they rather "creative extensions" of the teams identity package, so to speak? Seems like when we get a team that unveils something close to the package, people post that they need to start thinking outside the box and "it looks too much like the home/away jersey." On the flip side, if it's something different, the "doesn't fit in with the rest of the identities" party comes creeping out the woodwork.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like them for the most part except for the number font. The logo is okay and they probably needed to envelope the cannon in a circle to look better than if it was by itself. Everyone seems to be comparing these jerseys to all the other double blue alts, but what about the fact that it's basically the San Jose Sharks' template? Or is that not as big of a deal?

Find if kinda of funny, too, that they unveiled the jersey at a time when the team was playing on the road. Would have made a whole lot more sense to have one of the current and not former players modeling them and not at a time where maybe you want your fans to be watching the game on TV instead unless I guess it wasn't being televised.

Wow, another team with light blue and a circle logo! That's crazy! Way to go outside the box with something cool and creative for an alternate Columbus!

2 thumbs down, this jersey sucks.

2ly2w09.jpg

AC/DC called, they want their album cover back!!!

Funny you should say that... for the launch video, they've used Airbourne's "No Way But The Hard Way" - and Airbourne are basically AC/DC lite!

(I suppose using For Those About To Rock might have been a bit too blatant.)

This may be the first time an organization has cut corners by not cutting the corners. Lazy and sadly predictable, and I agree with those who say the silver gets lost due to a lack of contrast.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can't help thinking that this would have been made so much better by an injection of metallic copper or bronze instead of the silver. It feels like there's a contrast issue.

I totally agree. It lacks brightness that a gold would've covered, but then you would have to worry about comparisons to St. Louis. I thought they would avoid the Florida/Pittsburgh comparisons with the Royal blue, but that hasn't happened. I still think it's better than both those alternates and especially the florida Panthers alternates which is the worst freaking hockey jersey I've ever seen.

I like them for the most part except for the number font. The logo is okay and they probably needed to envelope the cannon in a circle to look better than if it was by itself. Everyone seems to be comparing these jerseys to all the other double blue alts, but what about the fact that it's basically the San Jose Sharks' template? Or is that not as big of a deal?

Find if kinda of funny, too, that they unveiled the jersey at a time when the team was playing on the road. Would have made a whole lot more sense to have one of the current and not former players modeling them and not at a time where maybe you want your fans to be watching the game on TV instead unless I guess it wasn't being televised.

I don't know. The game was televised and we all watched the Blue Jackets-Islanders on a few big screens in the mall before they made the announcement. In 2003 when third jerseys 1.0 (still my favorite hockey sweaters ever) came out they introduced them at a press conference and then wore them that night. I don't get introducing them on the road while the team is playing. Unless you want to get a two day jump on jersey sales.

You know, my biggest problem with the replica edge jerseys is that the shoulder patches are so freaking cheesy looking. These jerseys don't have a shoulder patch so a replica wouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking of getting one.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Enough with the retro-blue/circles already...

It's further proof that most companies cannot produce an original thought between them. Someone does something innovative or cool, and everyone just copies it until the charm is gone. While the Florida Panthers alt is the epitome of "jumping on the bandwagon" just for the sake of it, this new Blue Jackets jersey is just a wasted chance to have a cool and unique design. It's not bad in and of itself, it's just bad because it lacks anything original - which is usually what alt jerseys are supposed to be, a chance for designers to play around and do something different, not copy every other team in the league.

Is the lighter blue they use in this jersey the same shade of light blue that was used on Stinger logo they had before?

IMO, it does seem a bit redundant that so many teams are coming out with blue-on-blue alternates, but this one is probably the best of them all. It probably would have looked better is that used that hat logo on the front instead of a new cannon logo, but the cannon logo is nice. The ribbon probably would look better in red, but I think it looks well as is. I like the lighter shade of blue and the blue pants, but red could have been implemented in small doses and still worked. I may post some concepts later. Overall though, probably one of my new favorite alternates and would have no shame in owning one.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

AC/DC called, they want their album cover back!!!

Funny you should say that... for the launch video, they've used Airbourne's "No Way But The Hard Way" - and Airbourne are basically AC/DC lite!

(I suppose using For Those About To Rock might have been a bit too blatant.)

They do play "For Those About to Rock" after Jackets goals. They fire the cannon that actually does exist in the arena on the word "FIRE!" in the song.

6fQjS3M.png

I love the shades of blue, but that font is :censored:ty, to the max. It does not go with the jersey at all. Holy hell, I can't believe they went with such an awful font. What is up with all the horrible thirds this year? With the exception of Anaheim, and I still haven't seen the font they're going to go with for those jerseys

mav23.gif

Designing the next NHL team alternate jersey by Puckdrawn.com

I'm not sure which NHL team is next in line to unveil an alternate jersey, but PuckDrawn will make designing it VERY easy for them. You see, there is a simple three step process to designing an alternate jersey these days and they are as follows:

1. Pick your favorite shade of blue for the jersey

6a01157061294d970b0134897f875d970c-800wi.gif

6a01157061294d970b0147e0233a88970b-800wi.jpg

2. Add that retro looking circle logo

6a01157061294d970b0147e0233842970b-800wi.jpg

3. Add shoe laces

6a01157061294d970b0134897f8900970c-800wi.jpg

Boom! You're done.

6a01157061294d970b0147e0233aeb970b-800wi.jpg

So which NHL team will be next in line to unveil one of these blue/retro circle logo jerseys? My money is on Atlanta.

most of them i like.

The first penguins one on the top is alright not great. The blues one i like, in fact probably one of my favorite alts right now, the panthers i would like if they used red and the old panther logo. Bottom penguins jersey is alright and the blue jackets is red trim away from being good. right now it reminds me of a lightning jersey. thats honestly the first team that came to mind.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The captains C reminds me of back in minor hockey when we would tape the C on the jersey, way too blocky.

Unlike most, I like the number font to be honest. It's unique, and in a jersey that looks a bit like some similar jerseys, it's kinda nice to set it apart.

/Still doesn't think this really looks like Florida or Pittsburgh's jerseys.

6fQjS3M.png

I get the influence of the other jerseys and why people object to the similarities and it's not out of this world, but it's a nice look compared to the bug that's for sure.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

/Still doesn't think this really looks like Florida or Pittsburgh's jerseys.

I agree... and while there seems to be so much hate for the blue alternates, all the teams who are rolling out with them have blue as a primary color in their scheme (or in Pittsburgh's case, used to). I'll agree that the circle crests get repetitive but I don't think the cannon logo would look nearly as nice without it. St. Louis, Florida, what's their reason? (And Florida's the only one that really had no business introducing a new color.)

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

(snip) Do you think that since you're at the game anyway, that you could pop the Mr. Pringle the Cannon?

As a West Tenn Diamond Jaxx/Jackson Generals fan, I appreciate this reference.

Photoon2010-11-25at20483.jpg

Easily the worst mascot in the Jaxx' history.

Anyway, I really don't have too much to say about this jersey that hasn't already been said. Not a huge fan, as it does immediately remind me of half of the 3rds in the NHL.

I don't mind the number font too much other than it doesn't match the logo font at all. It matches the NOB font pretty well, but not the logo. Plus, the new numerals remind me of the "black electrical tape" numbers that the Netherlands use for their soccer jerseys.

Archived