Louisiana updates state flag

omnivore

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/11/state_officials_unfurl_newly-d.html

tumblr_lcbm868Xjs1qz7q8fo1_r3_500.jpg

After years of slight variations dating back to 1912 (and even earlier), the state of Louisiana unveils their new official state flag. The new design restores a ?bleeding pelican,? and claims to be a more historically accurate version of the heraldic ?Pelican in her piety.? We often take redesigns for granted, so it is very interesting to read about the legislative actions put in place to facilitate this official unfurling of a new state flag. The symbolism has lineage linking back to Christianity, which is also an aspect to take notice of for the year 2010.

??The new design was required by a bill passed by Rep. Damon Baldone, D-Houma, during the 2006 legislative session based on the historical research of Joseph Louviere, a Houma student, which indicated the existing pelican seal did not have the bird tearing at its breast. Historical descriptions of the blue flag include the three drops of blood, described as a sign of the state?s willingness to sacrifice itself for its citizens. The design goes back to medieval times, when people believed pelicans fed chicks with their blood?? ?via The Times-Picayune / Nola

I think it's cleaner for sure.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Whats the three red marks on the adult pelican?

Historical descriptions of the blue flag include the three drops of blood, described as a sign of the state’s willingness to sacrifice itself for its citizens. The design goes back to medieval times, when people believed pelicans fed chicks with their blood…” —via The Times-Picayune / Nola

This.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

i really like this. at first glance you'd almost think they were from opposite eras with the old one being made in MS Paint. the softer blue is much easier on the eyes, and the illustration is done in that old school, high detail way, yet is clearly readable. good job LA

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's an improvement for sure, but I've never understood the 'confidence' part of the slogan. Union, sure...justice, of course. Confidence? Just seems weird. Then there's the odd sign that's on the Crescent City Connection (AKA Greater New Orleans Bridge) over the Mississippi, which features a pelican in profile surrounded by four stars. Why don't they just put the state flag up there?

lacccbridgetop.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I was hesitant to open this thread. There are so many ways this could have been a very bad thread! Glad to see there's no hurricanes or oil spills involved.

Major upgrade.

Why did you think that?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

It's an improvement for sure, but I've never understood the 'confidence' part of the slogan. Union, sure...justice, of course. Confidence? Just seems weird. Then there's the odd sign that's on the Crescent City Connection (AKA Greater New Orleans Bridge) over the Mississippi, which features a pelican in profile surrounded by four stars. Why don't they just put the state flag up there?

lacccbridgetop.jpg

Well I think confidence goes better than: Union, Justice, and Unsurity or Union, Justice, and Fear.

I was hesitant to open this thread. There are so many ways this could have been a very bad thread! Glad to see there's no hurricanes or oil spills involved.

Major upgrade.

Why did you think that?

Because he is probably one of the people that still thinks New Orleans is flooded. Too many people still do.

Its not.

Major upgrade.

Why did you think that?

Because he is probably one of the people that still thinks New Orleans is flooded. Too many people still do.

Its not.

Quite the contrary. I was just hoping it was a legitimate thread, not some sick joke about hurricanes or oil spills.

Major upgrade.

Why did you think that?

Its not.

Quite the contrary. I was just hoping it was a legitimate thread, not some sick joke about hurricanes or oil spills.

For example.

4676997762_20d7f98b7c_b.jpg

Nice new rendering on the Louisianna flag. At first I was unsure about the blood, then I read the explanation and I understand the reasoning. As for Myanmar - what where they thinking? That looks like they took the Lithuanian flag and stuck a star in the middle. Although I appreciate that it does hark back to the State of Burma flag, so its not just something they've pulled out of thin air.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Didn't realize Myanmar had swapped flags too.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Archived