2 LA Groups Show Interest in Vikings

RAIDERNATION

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's time. The Twins stadium deal was a miracle. The economy was not nearly this bad. The Vikings deal will not happen here. 15 years ago, I'd have been devastated by this. Now, while I don't want it to happen, it's Saturdays, not Sundays, I waste on football. It's time for the Vikings to pack up and move.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

To me the news is not that the LA groups are interested, it is that the Vikings have formally acknowledged that they have been contacted by each group. Items to know:

1- As soon as the Roski/City of Industry plans were announced, the Vikings, Bills, Chargers and Jaguars were all thought as the possible teams to move.

2-The team wants to get something done during the next legislative year, which is important since the Minnesota governor's race is now under a recount. This statement is pressure placed on the new elected officials.

3-The AGE/downtown LA stadium is heavily contingent on tomorrow's announcement of the host country for the 2022 World Cup. Especially since Friday is the deadline for RFPs on stadium design.

To me the news is not that the LA groups are interested, it is that the Vikings have formally acknowledged that they have been contacted by each group.

Agreed. This is a shot across the government's bow.

Pretty aggressive move for a lousy team mired in controversy and scandal. They should have done this a year ago.

Until I see a Shovel in the ground, LA isn't getting a damn thing.

If Roski's group is the successful one, you won't see a shovel until they have a team.

They've learned from St Petersburg - Roski won't build a spec stadium only to have it woefully outdated when the team arrives. He has the money, he has the land, he only needs a team. Personally, I don't want it to be the Vikings, but if they move it won't be because Roski isn't the real deal.

In a related story, during an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live! last night, Magic Johnson confirmed that he has joined AEG's efforts to bring an NFL franchise to Los Angeles.

"I definitely want to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles," Johnson said. He then revealed that he's joined the effort to do so that is being headed-up by AEG's Tim Leiweke.

"We're going to come together and bring the NFL back to Los Angeles," Johnson added.

Until I see a Shovel in the ground, LA isn't getting a damn thing.

The city of LA wants it to happen. The people with the resources to build the stadium want it to happen. The NFL wants it to happen.

It will happen.

The Vikings have been trying for the last 4-5 years for a new ballpark, unfortunitly we have had a governor who wants to run for president and figures the lease dosen't end until after he leaves office, so let the the next guy solve it

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Football is way overdue in L.A. and the funny thing is, I've always felt the Vikings were a perfect fit. If this deal goes through, which I hope it does, it would be phenomenal for the NFL. As Ice_Cap said, the people of L.A. want it to happen, the people with resources want it to happen, and the NFL wants it to happen. So, you can't tell me it won't happen. If L.A. can model their franchises' stadium dealings the same way Baltimore did, then it's a perfect match. When Cleveland moved to Baltimore, the Ravens played two seasons at Memorial Stadium from '96-'98. All the while, having another stadium being built immediately on the other side of Baltimore. Once the Fall of 1998 came, we saw the birth of PSInet Stadium (now M&T Bank Stadium). All in all, the Ravens did relocation and building a stadium the right way. If L.A. can follow that mold, I can see this being a very successful move.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

If any of these four teams do decide to move, I can only see the Jaguars and Chargers taking the team's nickname with them to Los Angeles. Minnesota and Buffalo would probably do a Browns/Sonics/Whalers-thing, by locking down the rights to the team name in hopes of a team ever coming back. I could see a Vikings Version 2.0 down the road, but once the NFL leaves Buffalo or the other two cities, it'll be for good.

And for the record, I want to see the Jags in L.A. For some reason, it just fits.

6uXNWAo.png

If any of these four teams do decide to move, I can only see the Jags and Chargers taking the team's nickname with them to Los Angeles. Minnesota and Buffalo would probably do a Browns/Sonics/Whalers-thing, by locking down the rights to the team name in hopes of a team ever coming back.

Chargers yes. Jaguars? I don't know. It's not a terribly interesting or inspired name (although Jaguars were once native to California and not Florida).

"Los Angeles Jaguars" sounds more like a prime invitation to rebranding than anything else.

If any of these four teams do decide to move, I can only see the Jags and Chargers taking the team's nickname with them to Los Angeles. Minnesota and Buffalo would probably do a Browns/Sonics/Whalers-thing, by locking down the rights to the team name in hopes of a team ever coming back.

Chargers yes. Jaguars? I don't know. It's not a terribly interesting or inspired name (although Jaguars were once native to California and not Florida).

"Los Angeles Jaguars" sounds more like a prime invitation to rebranding than anything else.

I remember a long time ago when I was a Jaguars fan, that was probably over 15 years ago. But, we would have been talking about the Jags relocating the L.A., I would have been extraordinarily against it. But now, Los Angeles Jaguars carries a ring to it. Though, I'd still rather see the Vikes there for some reason.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

personally I don't want to see any team in LA, but with the wheels in motion...I would rather see the Jags or Rams there. I cannot envision either the Chargers or Vikings rooted there.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I think the team is going to give through the spring legislative session (May, I think). If nothing's done then, they're gone.

The governor-elect is undecided. However, it should be decided fairly soon and both want to make the stadium happen. But Minnesota's always been a bit different when it comes to this.

We'll see...but it is pretty unlikely.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Should've gone in on TCFBS and made that an NFL-caliber stadium. Now the crappy Golden freaking Gophers have a palace and the Vikings have nothing. Well played, Wrongway Corrigan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived