2 LA Groups Show Interest in Vikings

RAIDERNATION

personally I don't want to see any team in LA, but with the wheels in motion...I would rather see the Jags or Rams there. I cannot envision either the Chargers or Vikings rooted there.

The Chargers started off in LA and they list LA as their "secondary market."

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope that the Vikings won't be moving to LA; I'd much rather see the Rams, Chargers, Jaguars, or Raiders head there (my preferences are in that order). I'd have to wait until 2015 to hear about the Los Angeles Rams again. However, things are looking woefully dim for Minnesota right now if something isn't done...right now.

Are the Vikings the only team to have been openly contacted about moving? What about the Bills or Jaguars?

I'm calling shenanigans on the Chargers' partial sale in that article. The Spanoses said that the team was going back to powder blue uniforms full-time before their most recent change and made a last-minute change to stick with the navy; why should I believe them now? :P

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I sure hope that the Vikings won't be moving to LA; I'd much rather see the Rams, Chargers, Jaguars, or Raiders head there (my preferences are in that order). I'd have to wait until 2015 to hear about the Los Angeles Rams again. However, things are looking woefully dim for Minnesota right now if something isn't done...right now.

True enough, but the Twin Cities have shown themselves to be a good market. The same cannot be said for St. Louis.

The only thing keeping the Rams out of LA in 2015 would be another NFC team beating them there. Be a shame were it the Vikes.

True enough, but the Twin Cities have shown themselves to be a good market. The same cannot be said for St. Louis.

The only thing keeping the Rams out of LA in 2015 would be another NFC team beating them there. Be a shame were it the Vikes.

That's what's worst in all of this--Minnesota (I'll throw in the whole state, not just the Twin Cities) has proven themselves as a good market. The only thing that is threatening the Vikings' stay in Minnesota is the stadium issue--not the attendance.

Not to completely turn this into a reel-line-mint discussion, but would the Vikings and Rams swap divisions if the Vikings headed to LA? What about making the Vikings an AFC team, and put them in the south, if Jacksonville ends up moving some time after the Vikings leave?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I don't want to see the Vikings leave, but their stadium situation is remarkably bleak.

Agreed, Minnesota VIkings would be a shame to see csuch a great team name and nortehrn legacy depart for the phonies in LA LA land. However Los Angeles is going to get a team one day. Too much money in that market, I was just hoping it would be the Jaguars or Chargers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Isn't this crap all just leverage against the fans to rally support for building a new stadium?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

But fans should most definitely *not* pay for a new stadium. I would hope that the days of publically funded stadiums are well behind us. Show up to games, buy tickets, beer and jerseys, yes, but that's it. A half percent of every purchase to subsidize a billionaire's football stadium is ludicrous; now more that ever.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm a Packer fan, so I dont' know what's up with the stadium deal, but what's to stop the Vikes from kicking in a few million to add some extra seats to the Gophers' stadium, and playing there? Or is there a local pissing match in that regard that we're not privy to?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

A few things:

1. If the Vikings move to LA, it completely screws with the division structure - which is supposedly designed to encourage both geographic ease and historical rivalries (moreso the rivalries than the geography...cases in point, the Cowboys, Fins, Colts, and Rams). This can by nothing but positive, as the division system makes zero sense approaching the post-season. Under the current system, some mediocre team like the Rams, Seahawks, or god forbid the 49ers could make the playoffs while shutting out either the Eagles, Giants, Bears, Packers, Falcons, Saints, or Buccaneers - all of which currently have far better records than anyone in the NFC West. If we want a fair system, the top 2 teams by record should get byes, and the remaining 4 are chosen by record. None of this division nonsense for the sake of another set of awards.

2. I cannot stand the idea of the Los Angeles Vikings. That identity is distinct to Minnesota as it represents how the state is a center for Scandinavian American culture. Same reason I can't stand the Lakers. I'd be OK with a name change, but I'm sensing they won't.

3. If the NFL had any say in this, they'd probably prefer for the Jaguars to move to Los Angeles without doing too much damage to the their precious division system. Move the Jags to the NFC West, move the Rams to the AFC South. Plus, Los Angeles Jaguars isn't nearly as unpalatable as Los Angeles Vikings.

galaxy.png

Not to completely turn this into a reel-line-mint discussion, but would the Vikings and Rams swap divisions if the Vikings headed to LA? What about making the Vikings an AFC team, and put them in the south, if Jacksonville ends up moving some time after the Vikings leave?

I think that would be the most obvious and reasonable solution. I think I remember reading something about the Rams complaining about the 2002 realignment and how it put them in a division with three other teams that play two hours behind.

Agreed, Minnesota VIkings would be a shame to see csuch a great team name and nortehrn legacy depart for the phonies in LA LA land. However Los Angeles is going to get a team one day. Too much money in that market, I was just hoping it would be the Jaguars or Chargers.

:therock:

Not sure what you mean here, LA beat Minnesota to the NFL by 15 years.

I'm a Packer fan, so I dont' know what's up with the stadium deal, but what's to stop the Vikes from kicking in a few million to add some extra seats to the Gophers' stadium, and playing there? Or is there a local pissing match in that regard that we're not privy to?

IIRC, TCF Stadium was built to be expandable to up to 80,000 seats, so the ideas been kicked around. But I think a lot of Gopher alums (who tend to make up a majority of the Minnesota state legislature) blame the lack of a good football program on their having played second banana to the Vikings all these years and aren't willing to let it happen again in their building.

TCF Stadium was built to be expandable to up to 80,000 seats, so the ideas been kicked around. But I think a lot of Gopher alums (who tend to make up a majority of the Minnesota state legislature) blame the lack of a good football program on their having played second banana to the Vikings all these years and aren't willing to let it happen again in their building.

The Gopher alumni can piss up a rope. If they want the loss of the Minnesota Vikings on their hands because they're buttsore about having shared the Metrodome, see where that takes you.

I'm sure Zygi Wilf has the money to fix the place up into an NFL stadium. He should be able to cover most or all of that. He's a billionaire.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that would be the most obvious and reasonable solution. I think I remember reading something about the Rams complaining about the 2002 realignment and how it put them in a division with three other teams that play two hours behind.

IIRC, TCF Stadium was built to be expandable to up to 80,000 seats, so the ideas been kicked around. But I think a lot of Gopher alums (who tend to make up a majority of the Minnesota state legislature) blame the lack of a good football program on their having played second banana to the Vikings all these years and aren't willing to let it happen again in their building.

3794718552_635aa42898_o.jpg

It is designed for the ability to expand to 80,000 seats by adding another deck around the north and east sides bringing the stadium's height even with the pressbox/ luxury boxes that are currently in place. That number would be lower as general seating would be reduced to have more club seats/suites. Also, they would have to "kick in" money for individual seats for the majority of the place. The alcohol ban doesn't help them (Vikings) out either.

3794718552_635aa42898_o.jpg

It is designed for the ability to expand to 80,000 seats by adding another deck around the north and east sides bringing the stadium's height even with the pressbox/ luxury boxes that are currently in place. That number would be lower as general seating would be reduced to have more club seats/suites. Also, they would have to "kick in" money for individual seats for the majority of the place. The alcohol ban doesn't help them (Vikings) out either.

From what I've read in the past, I think the Gophers never intended on sharing the stadium with the Vikings. I believe they wanted their own all along. However, it has been stated that they would temporarily share the stadium with the Vikes while they awaited construction of a new one if the Metrodome were to be leveled and the new one built on the site.

If the Vikings head to LA, they'd probably just swipe spots with the Rams. If it's the Jags headed west, I'd hope it'd be them in the NFC West and Rams in the AFC South. Really, the current AFC South is mostly a central/midwest alignment. I think putting the Rams there would be a pretty good geographical fit. Tennesse is kinda right in the middle and ties Jacksonville into the divison and would do the same for Carolina, but St. Louis is rather equally located to all 3 other teams (Indy, Tennessee, Houston).

If the Vikings do move to LA, I'd be intersted to see what division the nfl would put them in. I mean They can't stay in the NFC North, so do you put them in the nfc south and move the next closest team (being the rams) to the nfc north?

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

If the Vikings do move to LA, I'd be intersted to see what division the nfl would put them in. I mean They can't stay in the NFC North, so do you put them in the nfc south and move the next closest team (being the rams) to the nfc north?

the body is not even in the ground yet and people are talking abour realignment

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Minnesotans are renowned for being frugal and clever. Just look at Mystery Science Theater 3000. Therefore, they should figure out a way for two football teams to, gasp, use one football stadium. As for the alcohol ban making it hard to host the Vikings, I think the solution there is simple: unban it for Vikings games. TCF Bank Stadium's alcohol availability is not governed by natural law.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As for the alcohol ban making it hard to host the Vikings, I think the solution there is simple: unban it for Vikings games.

What new spore of madness is this?

Last year, state lawmakers passed a bill that said the university could serve alcohol throughout the stadium, or not at all. University officials wanted to serve alcohol only in premium seats and suites. This June, the Legislature passed a measure that said the university could sell alcohol in premium seats if a third of the general seating area also had access to alcohol. The university decided to pass on it, meanwhile they have lost has lost up to $1.3M annually at its sports arenas because of the policy, specifically from football.

Archived