NBA to Take Over Hornets?

DustDevil61

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about what cities would be good markets for the NBA, or other sports. But I always wondered why Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team. Are they too overly football/hockey crazed?

After searching, I found an article. It states

the Pistons could move to Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh is just about done with its state-of-the-art $321 million Consol Energy Center.

Don't mean to change the subject, but is there any truth to this?

Does this hint that there could be an NBA team in Pittsburgh?

If so, why not be the Pittsburgh Hornets, and adopt the common black and yellow theme?

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Because the Pistons are one of the most successful franchises in the NBA and Mike Ilitch will buy them before they can move to Pittsburgh.

Sorry I meant for that to be a general question, meaning why couldn't the Hornets move to Pitt (or the Pistons, but you answered that part haha).

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Well for one thing, Pittsburgh is a small market that is not exactly flourishing economically. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite. For another thing, it's not an area that really embraces diversity, and I can't imagine them supporting an NBA team, unless said team was loaded with europeans. Hell - if I had a nickle for every time I heard a Steeler or Panther get referred to as a dumb N after dropping a pass or missing a shot (in a lot of places, not just one specific place) I'd probably have a few hundred dollars.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

After all the mountain-moving that went on to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, the powers that be probably aren't going to let another team threaten the Penguins' market share. I'm sure enough people are just fine with Pitt basketball.

I wonder if the FSNs have a deal to carry the Cavaliers in Pittsburgh and the Penguins in Cleveland as part of some Rust Belt Co-Prosperity Sphere. That's as close as you're going to get to either town having either league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

After all the mountain-moving that went on to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, the powers that be probably aren't going to let another team threaten the Penguins' market share. I'm sure enough people are just fine with Pitt basketball.

I wonder if the FSNs have a deal to carry the Cavaliers in Pittsburgh and the Penguins in Cleveland as part of some Rust Belt Co-Prosperity Sphere. That's as close as you're going to get to either town having either league.

FSN Ohio carries the Blue Jackets in Cleveland I'm pretty sure. However, Youngstown, Ohio's FSN Ohio station is not allowed to show Blue Jackets games, as Pittsburgh's exclusive territory includes the Mahoning Valley.

6fQjS3M.png

I said something similar earlier today in the relocation thread, but I just don't think the NBA wants to be the third or fourth "big 4" pro team to the party. Toronto and Minnesota are the only exceptions I can think of in recent history. The NBA often establishes a city as a major league market or is the only (or sometimes second) game in town.

Charlotte, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Sacramento, San Antonio, Phoenix, Miami, Vancouver, Memphis, New Orleans, Portland, Milwaukee, Indiana, Seattle... off the top of my head the NBA was either first, second or still is the only major league game in town.

That's why I wonder how interested the NBA really is in returning to Seattle or Kansas City. My guess was always that Las Vegas was a market they'd eventually be first to test, but with the economic situation who knows now.

I found this article interesting....

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/26278923

Shocked they don't bring up Louisville as an option....

I'm sure you'd guess where I think they should move, but won't.

Side note: I was a Charlotte Hornets fan back in the day when they had Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Muggsy Bouges, Dell Curry, etc. I wouldn't be opposed to them coming to KC. I want an NHL more, but this would work.

If the NBA is in fact only interested in being the first or second team in town (and it definate seems like that's theri unofficial stance), then somewhere like Louisville would be the only available option. In KC and Seattle they'd be the 3rd and in Anaheim not only would they be the 3rd as well, but also the 3rd team in the same market in the league. In St. Louis or Pittsburgh they'd be the 4th team. Louisville and Las Vegas are the only options that would fit within their criteria and Vegas is not really in shape right now to really be a viable relocation option. And unless U of L will share the Yum! Center (dumbest arena name ever), they're gonna have to build a new one as well. This really makes it appear keeping the team in NOLA really is their ultimate goal.

Oh I have an idea: Trade the Hornets to Utah (The Beehive State) and bring the Jazz back to New Orleans.

I kid. :P

But really, as a fan, I'm sad that we can't support such a promising franchise as it deserves. It's one of the reasons why I root for the Celtics. And it'll suck to see the Creole Blues go away. :cry:

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

But really, as a fan, I'm sad that we can't support such a promising franchise as it deserves. It's one of the reasons why I root for the Celtics. And it'll suck to see the Creole Blues go away. :cry:

I wouldn't worry about them going away; I'd worry about them staying. It seems like the Hornets are setting up to be Stern's Coyotes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think you're absolutely correct. The NBA would much rather be the big game in town. Presuming that they do indeed wish to move the Hornets, all indications are that they'll move it to a smaller city not already served by major league sports.

I hear Winnipeg has a nice arena. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the NBA is in fact only interested in being the first or second team in town (and it definate seems like that's theri unofficial stance), then somewhere like Louisville would be the only available option. In KC and Seattle they'd be the 3rd and in Anaheim not only would they be the 3rd as well, but also the 3rd team in the same market in the league. In St. Louis or Pittsburgh they'd be the 4th team. Louisville and Las Vegas are the only options that would fit within their criteria and Vegas is not really in shape right now to really be a viable relocation option. And unless U of L will share the Yum! Center (dumbest arena name ever), they're gonna have to build a new one as well. This really makes it appear keeping the team in NOLA really is their ultimate goal.

Louisville... seriously? Apparently the NBA has learned absolutely nothing from Memphis.

I'm not as sure about the NHL in Kansas City as I once was, but I think the NBA could do very well for themselves there. All though, in a perfect world, that's where the Kings would move (back) to.

Louisville... seriously? Apparently the NBA has learned absolutely nothing from Memphis.

Pretty similar, however Kentucky is a far more basketball-crazed state than Tennessee is. Plus, they kind of have Cincinnati (not saying much I know) as a nearby secondary market. But if the NBA keeps up with their trend, there's really not many other unchartered territories out there.

Pretty sure the City of Louisville owns the Yum! Center and not U of L.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived