NBA to Take Over Hornets?

DustDevil61

If the NBA is in fact only interested in being the first or second team in town (and it definate seems like that's theri unofficial stance), then somewhere like Louisville would be the only available option. In KC and Seattle they'd be the 3rd and in Anaheim not only would they be the 3rd as well, but also the 3rd team in the same market in the league. In St. Louis or Pittsburgh they'd be the 4th team. Louisville and Las Vegas are the only options that would fit within their criteria and Vegas is not really in shape right now to really be a viable relocation option. And unless U of L will share the Yum! Center (dumbest arena name ever), they're gonna have to build a new one as well. This really makes it appear keeping the team in NOLA really is their ultimate goal.

Pretty sure the City of Louisville owns the Yum! Center and not U of L.

Then I guess there's a possibility we might be seeing the Louisville Hornets in the near future... soon to be followed by the Montreal Hornets... and eventually the Cambodian Hornets.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Uh-oh...that's not good. If there's any league that's going to sell to the highest bidder and let them leave town, it's gotta be the NBA. Too bad we couldn't have seen the NBA fight to keep the Sonics in Seattle and the NHL give up and let the Coyotes move (wherever). :lonely:

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2010/12/07/kc-interest-but-no-owners-for-hornets.html

Excerpts:

"I'm not aware of a local group that expressed interest in coming forward and acquiring this team," said Dennis Gagnon, public information officer for Kansas City. "If it's an outside group that prevails and wants to come to our city, we certainly would be interested in talking with them."

Nick Benjamin, executive director of the Kansas City Power & Light District, sees the situation differently. The eight-block entertainment district neighbors Sprint Center, and Benjamin remains confident in Sprint Center manager Anschutz Entertainment Group's ability to bring a professional sports team to the arena.

"It is obviously of critical importance to all major stakeholders in the Downtown that the Sprint Center add teams and the corresponding additional events," Benjamin said. "Professional sporting events in the Sprint Center will be game-changers for Downtown, with dramatic spinoff benefits to the city in terms of additional energy, sales and tax generation."

If the NBA is in fact only interested in being the first or second team in town (and it definate seems like that's theri unofficial stance), then somewhere like Louisville would be the only available option. In KC and Seattle they'd be the 3rd and in Anaheim not only would they be the 3rd as well, but also the 3rd team in the same market in the league. In St. Louis or Pittsburgh they'd be the 4th team. Louisville and Las Vegas are the only options that would fit within their criteria and Vegas is not really in shape right now to really be a viable relocation option. And unless U of L will share the Yum! Center (dumbest arena name ever), they're gonna have to build a new one as well. This really makes it appear keeping the team in NOLA really is their ultimate goal.

Louisville... seriously? Apparently the NBA has learned absolutely nothing from Memphis.

I'm not really defending the Memphis Grizzlies, but...

I was there a couple times during the summer. I was a bit suprised to see how much support there was in the Grizzlies, as far as team gear being worn around town is concerned. What doesn't help them is that the team's been lousy for a while, and that Memphis is also a bit of a poor, down-trodden city.

In my opinion, fans liking the team isn't the problem. Asking a relatively poor city to spend money on a mediocre product is the problem....

Where'd you go for food?

I saw lots of Grizz stuff too when I was there. Memphis has a few nice parts, but the bad parts are downright squalid, and the population of the greater Memphis tri-state area isn't really a large one with copious disposable income. I mean, just look at what I said: we're calling on eastern Arkansas and northern Mississippi to support an NBA team. We shouldn't be calling on any part of Mississippi to support any pro team.

I wonder how much more expensive it is to see a game at the FedExForum compared to one at the Memphis Pyramid (way underrated and underused building. It's the rare indoor sports arena that's architecturally compelling, and it wasn't even 20 years old when they shuttered it!). They may well have priced out most of their fanbase for a market share that doesn't exist.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Where'd you go for food?

I saw lots of Grizz stuff too when I was there. Memphis has a few nice parts, but the bad parts are downright squalid, and the population of the greater Memphis tri-state area isn't really a large one with copious disposable income. I mean, just look at what I said: we're calling on eastern Arkansas and northern Mississippi to support an NBA team. We shouldn't be calling on any part of Mississippi to support any pro team.

Beale Street's barbecue joints, of course. I'm looking to try out the Kooky Canuck when I head there at the end of the month...I gotta see that 7-lb burger in person. Got any other recommendations?

I haven't spent enough time in the city to know how to start it....but Memphis could use a Cleveland-like revitalization. Outside of their downtown district and Graceland, there's not much to see and do in Memphis. There's a bunch of swampland in West Memphis, and northern Mississippi isn't a happening area, either.

Louisville... seriously? Apparently the NBA has learned absolutely nothing from Memphis.

I'm not really defending the Memphis Grizzlies, but...

I was there a couple times during the summer. I was a bit suprised to see how much support there was in the Grizzlies, as far as team gear being worn around town is concerned. What doesn't help them is that the team's been lousy for a while, and that Memphis is also a bit of a poor, down-trodden city.

In my opinion, fans liking the team isn't the problem. Asking a relatively poor city to spend money on a mediocre product is the problem....

My point had more to do with the NBA trying to wedge itself into cities with a longstanding tradition of college ball. You really can't blame Memphans for shying away from the Grizzlies when they can get their hoops fix from the local college team, a near-perennial national contender, for much less money. Louisville may have a slightly(keyword) better economic situation than Memphis, but its an even smaller market that's even more solidly behind the college game.

It just seems like eventually, the NBA is gonna have to accept its place in the hierarchy of pro sports in North America and admit that it's not in a place to demand that they play in large markets AND be at least the #2 option in those markets AND that said markets have arenas with a ridiculous array of "luxury amenities" that are completely disingenuous at a time like this.

Well, Corky's was my favorite place for barbecue pork. I'm trying to remember where else I went. I think one of the other places was Blues City Cafe. They all sort of blended into a big delicious morass of catfish and ribs. I should've written all these down. They'll come to me again at the strangest time, most likely.

Graceland isn't even in a nice area. People think it's this pastoral estate. It's across the street from, like, a McDonald's and a mechanic or something. As for revitalization projects, from talking to the locals there, the toxicity of race relations will forever preclude anything of substance ever getting done. Having turned Beale Street into a family theme park is probably about as much as they'll ever swing. Ironic, given that the success of Stax Records was rooted in the synthesis and merit of black and white musicians. Oh well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, Corky's was my favorite place for barbecue pork. I'm trying to remember where else I went. I think one of the other places was Blues City Cafe. They all sort of blended into a big delicious morass of catfish and ribs. I should've written all these down. They'll come to me again at the strangest time, most likely.

Graceland isn't even in a nice area. People think it's this pastoral estate. It's across the street from, like, a McDonald's and a mechanic or something. As for revitalization projects, from talking to the locals there, the toxicity of race relations will forever preclude anything of substance ever getting done. Having turned Beale Street into a family theme park is probably about as much as they'll ever swing. Ironic, given that the success of Stax Records was rooted in the synthesis and merit of black and white musicians. Oh well.

Barbecue is a definite must-get the first evening we're there. Haven't decided if we'll be staying one night or two yet.....

By the way, that 'something' near Graceland is ten various Elvis souvenir stores. The only reason why I ventured past Graceland during the summer was to stop at a Krispy Kreme and get a dozen of their apple-cinnamon doughnuts, since we can't get those here. I figured the doughnut shop near Elvis would be worth a damn.....

What continually keeps Memphis in the running as one of these cities that are "next-to-be major league ready"? There's a whole lotta plight going on there. Aside from a couple blocks downtown, the city looks like it's about 20 years behind the times.

I'm not normally an advocate for such things, but a contraction of teams may be a logical step for "the Association."

New Orleans undoubtedly isn't the only city whose franchise is hurting - the Deadspin report merely confirms it in their case. You could make an argument that eliminating New Orleans, Memphis, Sacramento, and perhaps a few other teams would be a wise idea in the wake of the lockout that's yet to come.

nav-logo.png

I'm not normally an advocate for such things, but a contraction of teams may be a logical step for "the Association."

New Orleans undoubtedly isn't the only city whose franchise is hurting - the Deadspin report merely confirms it in their case. You could make an argument that eliminating New Orleans, Memphis, Sacramento, and perhaps a few other teams would be a wise idea in the wake of the lockout that's yet to come.

Maybe, but I don't see the NBA doing that.

This team will be moved. I think the writing is on the wall and has been before. They've staved off relocation once, it won't likely happen again.

Whether it's Kansas City, Seattle or "other", the Hornets are not long for NOLA.

This team will be moved. I think the writing is on the wall and has been before. They've staved off relocation once, it won't likely happen again.

Whether it's Kansas City, Seattle or "other", the Hornets are not long for NOLA.

Thing is though, where do you move them? Any of them?

To Kansas City, where they have to compete with the Royals and Chiefs in a small market?

To Seattle, where they have to play in an antiquated (by NBA standards) arena and no potential for a replacement anytime soon?

To Pittsburgh, where they have a new arena, but to whom professional basketball is essentially an afterthought?

Let's face it, there aren't a whole lot of cities like Oklahoma City and Sacramento (ones in which the NBA can be the only 'major league' franchise) with suitable facilities and potential revenue streams left out there.

nav-logo.png

Key Arena is admittedly not that nice, but it's in a city that supports its teams, hasn't been hugely affected by the recession, and is home to people that have tons of money to spend of NBA tickets.

The NBA left money on the table by leaving Seattle. My thinking is that the 2008 move wouldn't have happened if everything went down in 2009 instead. I assume OKC is doing well attendance-wise, but there would have been several better candidates for relocation if everyone had waited a year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Key Arena is admittedly not that nice, but it's in a city that supports its teams, hasn't been hugely affected by the recession, and is home to people that have tons of money to spend of NBA tickets.

Isn't that the most important thing at the end of the day?

I have a feeling that in the event of an NBA team moving to Seattle, Key Arena would be used as temporary quarters while a new arena would be reasonably negotiated and built. All without a large portion coming from taxpayers, like what Clay Bennett wanted (which he knew he wouldn't get, if I remember right).

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Thing is though, where do you move them? Any of them?

To Kansas City, where they have to compete with the Royals and Chiefs in a small market?

To Seattle, where they have to play in an antiquated (by NBA standards) arena and no potential for a replacement anytime soon?

To Pittsburgh, where they have a new arena, but to whom professional basketball is essentially an afterthought?

Let's face it, there aren't a whole lot of cities like Oklahoma City and Sacramento (ones in which the NBA can be the only 'major league' franchise) with suitable facilities and potential revenue streams left out there.

Kansas City would do fine. We support the hapless Royals for God's sake. I dare say, if they had performed like that in some other MLB markets, they would have long been gone. Chiefs are drawing good, the Royals make due, no reason to think the NBA won't find their niche.

Trouble is, finding an owner that would want to own the "Kansas City" Hornets. I think AEG will do fine in getting them a lease that provides them enough revenue to be viable. The Sprint Center has all the corporate suites sold out already. That's where the $$$$ is.....

Kansas City would do fine. We support the hapless Royals for God's sake. I dare say, if they had performed like that in some other MLB markets, they would have long been gone. Chiefs are drawing good, the Royals make due, no reason to think the NBA won't find their niche.

Actually, if anything that cements my point: Kansas City already supports two major league franchises. There probably isn't sufficient corporate or fan income readily available to take on a third. It wasn't the case with the Kings 30-some odd years ago, and the market size hasn't exactly blossomed in comparison to others since.

nav-logo.png

Isn't that the most important thing at the end of the day?

I have a feeling that in the event of an NBA team moving to Seattle, Key Arena would be used as temporary quarters while a new arena would be reasonably negotiated and built. All without a large portion coming from taxpayers, like what Clay Bennett wanted (which he knew he wouldn't get, if I remember right).

That's right.

The local media, for what it's worth, is hypothesizing that the $1.4B Steve Ballmer recently cashed out in Microsoft stock could be used to buy/build infrastructure for an NBA team.

But who knows, really. It's an interesting idea.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Actually, if anything that cements my point: Kansas City already supports two major league franchises. There probably isn't sufficient corporate or fan income readily available to take on a third. It wasn't the case with the Kings 30-some odd years ago, and the market size hasn't exactly blossomed in comparison to others since.

Conversly, the NBA is vastly different than the NBA which saw the Kansas City Kings bolt for Sacramento back in 1985. Hell, sports are different now, along with arenas, fans, etc. I don't think comparing something from 25 years ago and trying to fit it into the modern scenario is relevant. Hell only knows how crappy the team was run back then.

There are many new revenue streams now, along with fan interest and such.

Archived