University of Michigan (Wolverine logo)

JJSCOTT

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a student at Wisconsin....this is beautiful. I'd love to see this taken all the way to a full body logo.

As for the current logo, the wing and stripes are placed perfectly, but could stand to be a little more blunt. ie make them obvious. The white blends with the yellow very easily and adding some blue highlights (or even making the wings blue?) would help imo. I also think I preferred the previous ears.

EDIT:I hope you dont mind, but I played around with this for a while (all thanks be to insomnia). Something along these lines is what I'd like to see you head towards. I prefer this as the 'wings' now look like they do on Michigan's helmet. This was just real quick and dirty because I didn't want to steal your thunder. If you feel like I'm stepping on your toes just say so and I'll edit my edit.

Michigan.png

As a student at Wisconsin....this is beautiful. I'd love to see this taken all the way to a full body logo.

As for the current logo, the wing and stripes are placed perfectly, but could stand to be a little more blunt. ie make them obvious. The white blends with the yellow very easily and adding some blue highlights (or even making the wings blue?) would help imo. I also think I preferred the previous ears.

EDIT:I hope you dont mind, but I played around with this for a while (all thanks be to insomnia). Something along these lines is what I'd like to see you head towards. I prefer this as the 'wings' now look like they do on Michigan's helmet. This was just real quick and dirty because I didn't want to steal your thunder. If you feel like I'm stepping on your toes just say so and I'll edit my edit.

Michigan.png

This is perfect for Michigan. You can may not be able to tell its a Wolverine because really...who knows what wolverines look like, they're not common animals...but the shadowing that creates their helmet styling on its head...makes you know it's a Michigan Wolverine.

Well done.

87Redskins.png

Michigan.png

That is much, much better.

If it helps, the best wolverine logo I've ever seen was nitroseed's:

workRavage.jpg

This is a great job here. I have just some nagging kind of things.

First, I'd flip it so he faces the "correct" direction to the right. Next, you have a couple of places where the fur is a bit awkward, which i've highlighted below. The one point that's squared off should come to a point IMO, the one down on the neck needs to be extended and exaggerated and there's something with the last one that's just off a tad.

wolverinewht1-1Issues.png

Overall I think this is great, and I think my favorite thing about this is the incorporation of the winged helmet design for the facial highlight. Well done!

OD_Signature.jpg

mcrosby... so glad you suggested that! I was working on a re-edit doing to be able to make the "wings" maize and eliminate using so much white as its not a main color for most Michigan logos... here is what I came up with. feeling more and more like the logo is getting closer to the end now so i can start putting together a full body to it and putting it on some jersey templates.

wolverinewht2.png

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

Michigan.png

That is much, much better.

If it helps, the best wolverine logo I've ever seen was nitroseed's:

workRavage.jpg

As a Wolverine fan and Ann Arbor-ite...

I think trying to depict just the head of a wolverine is a challenge. Seeing the animal as a whole is obvious, but if you take just the head of nitroseed's I could see people guessing any variety of tiger, cougar, bear, etc before they go to Wolverine. I think both are excellent logos.

JJ, I love the progression you've made from the original. I think going back to the maize and blue, no white is giving you the best results so far. MCrosby's quick edit is the direction I'd head with it. Great work!

I personally like it without the white. It simplifies the logo a lot, and I like the fact that it blends the wings into the head more. I feel like it would look cheesy if the wings were made really obvious, but without white it blends into the design of the logo really well.

Archived