Screw the bowls, let's have a play-off!

lost_limey

I think that this could work

Eliminate all bowl games save BCS bowls (excluding the NC) and other traditional bowls and make them exibitions

Then have playoff selection show and make conference champions guarenteed and top 3 seeds in each of the 4 division things. Then hold playoff. Boom serve hot and fresh

That makes no sense.

I'm guessing it means a 16 team play off, 11 conference winners and 5 at-large chosen during some sort of selection show. Break the playoff teams into 4 divisions and have the conference winners guaranteed to get the top 3 seeds in each division . Once that's sorted, play the games.

I don't know what "Boom serve hot and fresh" means, but that doesn't bother me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Playoff Week 1

Game 1: #16 @ #1

Game 2: #15 @ #2

Game 3: #14 @ #3

Game 4: #13 @ #4

Game 5: #12 @ #5

Game 6: #11 @ #6

Game 7: #10 @ #7

Game 8: #9 @ #8

Playoff Week 2

Game 9: Lowest Remaining Seed @ Highest Remaining Seed

Game 10: 2nd Lowest Remaining Seed @ 2nd Highest Remaining Seed

Game 11: 3rd Lowest Remaining Seed @ 3rd Highest Remaining Seed

Game 12: 4th Lowest Remaining Seed @ 4th Highest Remaining Seed

Playoff Week 3

Game 13: Lowest Remaing Seed @ Highest Remaining Seed

Game 14: 2nd Lowest Remaining Seed @ 2nd Highest Remaing Seed

Playoff Week 4

Game 15: Lowest Remaining Seed vs Highest Remaining Seed @ Rotating Neutral Site (Rose Bowl, SunLife Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Superdome, U of Phoenix Stadium)

Conference Champions from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, PAC-12, SEC, Sun Belt & WAC receive automatic qualification for the NCAA Division I-A Playoffs. If the University of Notre Dame is ranked within the Top 16 in the nation, they receive automatic qualification. The five highest ranked non-conference champions (four highest if Notre Dame is an AQ team) will receive At-Large berths into the NCAA Division I-A Playoffs. Seedings will be based on the BCS-Style ranking system. Teams will be re-seeded round-by-round.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Playoff Week 1

Playoff Week 2

Playoff Week 3

Playoff Week 4

Game 15: Lowest Remaining Seed vs Highest Remaining Seed @ Rotating Neutral Site (Rose Bowl, SunLife Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, Superdome, U of Phoenix Stadium)

Conference Champions from the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, C-USA, MAC, Mountain West, PAC-12, SEC, Sun Belt & WAC receive automatic qualification for the NCAA Division I-A Playoffs. If the University of Notre Dame is ranked within the Top 16 in the nation, they receive automatic qualification. The five highest ranked non-conference champions (four highest if Notre Dame is an AQ team) will receive At-Large berths into the NCAA Division I-A Playoffs. Seedings will be based on the BCS-Style ranking system. Teams will be re-seeded round-by-round.

Simplicity will not be tolerated!

1zqy8ok.gif

Playoff Week 1

Playoff Week 2

Playoff Week 3

Playoff Week 4

Indeed.

Nice job Kinger, but it's not needlessly complicated enough.

Playoff Week 1

Playoff Week 2

Playoff Week 3

Playoff Week 4

Indeed.

Nice job Kinger, but it's not needlessly complicated enough.

Notre Dame does not deserve any special consideration because they're Notre Dame. In fact, I'd say ditch the at-larges and force them to join a conference like everyone else.

LvZYtbZ.png

Notre Dame does not deserve any special consideration because they're Notre Dame. In fact, I'd say ditch the at-larges and force them to join a conference like everyone else.

Shut up.

sB9ijEj.png

Shut up.

I actually agree with Will here, Notre Dame should not get any special treatment, if they want an AQ they need to join a conference, otherwise they just have to hope they are good enough for an at-large.

niagaraq.png

Shut up.

I actually agree with Will here,

Well there goes your credibility :P

Shut up.

I actually agree with Will here,

Well there goes your credibility :P

:(

lol

I should have phrased it differently...I agree with the argument, not the man :P

niagaraq.png

Shut up.

I actually agree with Will here, Notre Dame should not get any special treatment, if they want an AQ they need to join a conference, otherwise they just have to hope they are good enough for an at-large.

As much alot of people out there (Especially the Irish haters) would like to consider Notre Dame as "Just Another School", they're not. They are the biggest name in college football, even after 15 years of irrelevance. For a school with the history and revenue-generating abilities that Notre Dame has, you make exceptions.

sB9ijEj.png

Mark Cuban says he will fund a playoff

I saw this on Yahoo!'s front page. Mark Cuban says he will put $500 million into a plan to try and start an NCAA playoff. I know a lot of people don't care for Cuban and you can certainly question his motives behind this. However, its going to take something like this to end the BCS. You've got to respect a guy who takes action instead of just sitting around and complaining. Especially if he puts in a large chunk of his own money to do it. Not sure when he will try to accomplish this or if he actually will, but it will be interesting to see if he goes through with it.

As a start, just go 8 teams:

- 6 BCS conf champs automatically qualify UNLESS they are ranked outside the top 15 (arbitrary ranking at the moment)

- Non-BCS conf teams get in if ranked in top 8 (and they HAVE TO be their conf champ), but if a bcs conf champ is in the top 15, they get in first. Maybe same for Indies, dependant on strength of schedule. If non qualify then remaining teams are obviously chosen based on highest ranking. No more than 2 teams per conf.

- 8 teams means 2 weekends of playoffs, beginning weekend following conf championship games.

- Final 2 play for NC, while BCS bowls have pick of the remaining playoff litter and last 2 who did not qualify, previous rules applied (this is since there's actually 5 bcs games and only 8 playoff teams)

Playoff expansion can be possible after 3-5 years based on success/non-success of initial plan.

Mark Cuban says he will fund a playoff

I saw this on Yahoo!'s front page. Mark Cuban says he will put $500 million into a plan to try and start an NCAA playoff. I know a lot of people don't care for Cuban and you can certainly question his motives behind this. However, its going to take something like this to end the BCS. You've got to respect a guy who takes action instead of just sitting around and complaining. Especially if he puts in a large chunk of his own money to do it. Not sure when he will try to accomplish this or if he actually will, but it will be interesting to see if he goes through with it.

Two weeks ago, he was talking to a non-ESPN owned radio station and said that he wanted to see if could "de-amateurize" football and basketball. In essence, a company would buy the football and basketball programs so that they could pay the players while they were attending the school. Getting away from the BCS is the small potatoes.

I really like JQK's proposal as well. Although, I would just take the top 5 ranked non-AQ teams regardless of if Notre Dame is ranked in the top 16 or not. If Notre Dame, Army or Navy are in the top 5 of teams that didn't already AQ then they get in the playoff.

What I think should happen, and would be the smoothest transition, is to keep the BCS Rankings and AQ Conferences, but just turn it into a 16 team playoof. This means that it isn't an NCAA sanctioned playoff (like the BCS Bowls are now), so regualr season scheduling would remain the same. You would take the 6 AQ-Conference champions (ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-10/12 and SEC) and then the top ten ranked teams (In the BCS Standings)and seed them in the order they are ranked in the BCS. This way the big conferences still get their guaranteed money and spot in the playoff (which would diminish thier opposition to the idea a little bit). After each round they'll reseed and have highest seed v. lowest seed and so on (Unlike the NCAA Basketball Tournament). For this example we'll assume the highest seeds win. And much like the basketball tourney, there would be a final four at a specific location. This year it would be the Fiesta Bowl, and would just rotate between Rose, Sugar, Orange and Fiesta Bowl's like the NCG does now.

The way the games would be set up would be as follows (I'll use this years dates as example):

Playoff Week 1:

Friday December 17th

#1 v. #16 (@ #1's home field)

#8 v. #9 (@ #8's home field)

#4 v. #13 (@ #4's home field)

#5 v. #12 (@ #5's home field)

Saturday December 18th

#2 v. #15 (@ #2's home field)

#7 v. #10 (@ #7's home field)

#6 v. #11 (@ #6's home field)

#3 v. #14 (@ #3's home field)

Playoff Week 2:

Friday December 24th

#1 v. #8 (@ #1's home field)

#4 v. #5 (@ #4's home field)

Saturday December 25th (Yes Christmas)

#2 v. #7 (@ #2's home field)

#3 v. #6 (@ #3's home field)

Playoff Week 3:

Friday December 31st

#1 v. #4 (@ Fiesta Bowl)

Saturday January 1st

#2 v. #3 (@ Fiesta Bowl)

National Championship

Saturday January 8th

#1 v #2 (@ Fiesta Bowl)

Here is how the bracket would look with this year's teams and rankings. With the way the rankings ended and the AQ-Conferences still getting the AQ, one team would get bounced out of the playoff for UConn (even though they were in the Top 16 of the BCS). And that team would be Alabama. This year's BCS Standings

Playoff2.gif

jNTsTyQ.png

This is my attempt at rearranging the college football world to even out the playing field and allow for both playoffs and a bowl series to exist. Firstly- the conference rearrangement and playoff scheme:

Conference Realignment and Playoffs Secondly- rearranging the bowls:College Bowl GamesIn order to be bowl eligible a team would still have to achieve a .500 record. Any of the designated conference teams that are not bowl eligible would be replaced by the number 7 bowl eligible team from a conference in descending order. Conferences would be ranked through the Markov method described in this paper- http://mathaware.org/mam/2010/essays/Mattingly.pdf

I know that this is insane and would never actually happen in the real world but it makes sense to me. The hardest part would scheduling the bowl games as shown to allow fans to purchase tickets and make travel arrangements for the games that serve as consolation games. The reasoning behind rotating is to allow for each conference to have the potential to travel to far different locales each year and to also ease the monetary burden on any one host site and conference. The years that a host site has lower ranked teams they would obviously have less of a payout.

Can somone explain the purpose and benefit of re-seeding round by round please? Seems like more trouble than it's worth to me and I'm curious as to why so many people seem to advocate it.

It's basically to prevent a situation where two high seeds play each other to advance while two lower seeds face also to advance. For instance, if in an 8 team playoff, the 2 and 3 seeds get upset, under a straight bracket, it's 1 v 4 and 6 v 7. Whereas with a reseed bracket, it's 1 v 7 and 4 v 6. Add in that the NFL effectively reseeds in the divisional round, and it's a popular idea.

LvZYtbZ.png

Can somone explain the purpose and benefit of re-seeding round by round please? Seems like more trouble than it's worth to me and I'm curious as to why so many people seem to advocate it.

It's to give advantage to the higher ranked teams. A playoff system is one hell of a crapshoot anyways, as it's often more about who's playing at a high level at that time rather than necessarily the best team.

And it works really well for the NFL, so it's not like it's impossible.

This is my attempt at rearranging the college football world to even out the playing field and allow for both playoffs and a bowl series to exist. Firstly- the conference rearrangement and playoff scheme:

Conference Realignment and Playoffs Secondly- rearranging the bowls:College Bowl GamesIn order to be bowl eligible a team would still have to achieve a .500 record. Any of the designated conference teams that are not bowl eligible would be replaced by the number 7 bowl eligible team from a conference in descending order. Conferences would be ranked through the Markov method described in this paper- http://mathaware.org/mam/2010/essays/Mattingly.pdf

I know that this is insane and would never actually happen in the real world but it makes sense to me. The hardest part would scheduling the bowl games as shown to allow fans to purchase tickets and make travel arrangements for the games that serve as consolation games. The reasoning behind rotating is to allow for each conference to have the potential to travel to far different locales each year and to also ease the monetary burden on any one host site and conference. The years that a host site has lower ranked teams they would obviously have less of a payout.

That is a complete understatement of this idea. It's one thing to move some teams from lower conferences into bigger conferences, but to completely dismantle all the conferences like this would never in a million years fly.

Archived