AJM

Comedy Central Debuts New Logo

Too slick and polished, takes itself too seriously. As far as the latter, I suppose it fits South Park and The Daily Show in that respect.

Both of the city/planet logos were so much better.

I thought they were just going to remove the globe.

I'm watching Futurama and the globe logo is still there. Either the new logo is coming or is fake like the WWE logo.

No fake. Will be unveiled in January, per their website.

Just saw this link this morning from Under Consideration: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/comedy_central_still_funny.php

As a branding scheme, and seen in context with other promotional materials, I think it works really well. And the fact that is does look like the © symbol works to their advantage in a lot of the collateral.

But as a stand-alone icon, I think it does not work, because as someone mentioned before, there's nothing whimsical or comedic about it.

An idea I had that keeps that minimalist look they apparently want, but making it a little more unique:

Yeah, the tag-line is sorta similar to TBS, but it's just an idea.

I think you mean "Hoobastank: Infinitely Funny"

1101_hoobastank_d.jpg

Damn. Beaten by a mediocre band that sounds like crap in concert. What the hell does hoobastank even mean, and what does an infinity symbol have to do with it?

As for Comedy Central's whole campaign, I guess it works. The mark is just so non-descriptive on its own.

Too slick and polished, takes itself too seriously. As far as the latter, I suppose it fits South Park and The Daily Show in that respect.

Both of the city/planet logos were so much better.

Zing!!

Say, I wonder if there's going to be a roast on this.

The new logo is so bland and corporate, it's not even funny (pardon the expression); it's as if Viacom wants to diminish the network's raison d'être*.

*Reason for existence. Just for those who don't know, I thought it would be handy to put the definition here, instead of having to look it up over and over again.

But Viacom is the same company that took MTV, which started life as a music video channel, and completely eliminated its raison d'être. The same can be said, at least to some extent, of VH1, TNN (now Spike TV), CMT, and TV Land. Unless, of course, all this talk about taking MTV back to its roots (which apparently included a revival of Beavis and Butthead) is actually true.

I'm not banking on it, however. It's a whole lot cheaper to make reality shows with people who wouldn't otherwise make much more than minimum wage on TV as opposed to hiring actual writers and paying bands to show their music videos.

I thought they were just going to remove the globe.

I'm watching Futurama and the globe logo is still there. Either the new logo is coming or is fake like the WWE logo.

No fake. Will be unveiled in January, per their website.

Oh that what I figured. To me I like the one without the globe kinda like when FX removed the box.

I just really really disagree with those who say this doesn't portray a whimsical or comedic feel.

The upside down C and CENTRAL are whimsical in a really nice, smart way. Rather than being in your face at cartoony it's just I dunno--perfect.

I just really really disagree with those who say this doesn't portray a whimsical or comedic feel.

The upside down C and CENTRAL are whimsical in a really nice, smart way. Rather than being in your face at cartoony it's just I dunno--perfect.

Taken out of context, the icon itself doesn't seem whimisical at all. It's only when presented with the rest of the branding collateral can you see its affect.

That's why I think it doesn't work.

That logo is going to work fantastically on all of the branding, animations, and advertisements. I think if will fit perfectly in the little promotional slides/ads in between shows.

Eh, it should be easier for the Comedy Network to cover it up then the old globe logo. So hopefully the ugly Comedy Network grey blob won't be as prevalent on Daily Show and Colbert Report airings.

What is with all these TV stations stores and other companies making plain terrible looking logos?

I would have been fine with this logo had they incorporated the "city" portion into the outer ring... Modernize/Retro-ize it, but this is just... bland.

200px-Comedy_Central_logo_%281990s%29.svg.png

This logo fit early Comedy Central quite well. Its aesthetic really matches that of that one stupid puppet show from Minneapolis that had nothing whatsoever to do with the channel's first big rise in popularity and according to them never aired on there anyway.

The damnedest thing... No sooner did I post the above than I have been asked to work on the rebrand. Spooky.

Taken out of context, the icon itself doesn't seem whimisical at all. It's only when presented with the rest of the branding collateral can you see its affect.

That's why I think it doesn't work.

Agree to disagree then.

I called it quirky before I even saw the rest of the branding context.