Hockey Concept: Atlantic Mariners

Magnus

It's not bad, but something looks weird about having the sky blue color only in the center of the jersey. Since it's such an eyecatching color, I think it either needs to be ditched (on the uniforms at least) or distributed more evenly so that one's eye doesn't immediately go to the center of the jersey.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The Northern Knights one looks good, but it seems to me like the logo might be a little too detailed to use on the front of a jersey.

One thing you could consider is removing the "Northern Knights" font from the "shield". I think that would look better on a jersey. Maybe that could be your alternate logo, and the primary logo could be the shield with the Northern Knights and without the N and K.

The Northern Knights one looks good, but it seems to me like the logo might be a little too detailed to use on the front of a jersey.

One thing you could consider is removing the "Northern Knights" font from the "shield". I think that would look better on a jersey. Maybe that could be your alternate logo, and the primary logo could be the shield with the Northern Knights and without the N and K.

Alright, I'll give it a try.

I don't know where "Atlantic" and "Northern" are. You might want to use cities or states as your names.

Yeah. Actually that was a deliberate choice on my part. Atlantic is supposed to be representative of the entire Maritime region of Canada, so that the team could be located in any major city there (the way the CFL Schooners were supposed to be).

Northern, in the same vein, refers to Northern Ontario and/or Quebec. I chose the name in the hope of appealing to a wider market than the 160,000-odd people in Sudbury, Ontario. It's also a bit of a pun on "northern lights".

Your Atlantic Mariners needs way more contrast in the colour scheme. Looking at the navy jersey, you lose the dark grey wheel on the dark navy shirt. You need some light colours/white to break it up. Whether that's in the logo itself or even just an outline, it will do wonders for legibility and visual distinction. Also, that grey is too dark of a grey to use as a "light" coloured jersey. Lighten it up or just go with white.

I'll agree with other posters that the logo on the Knights jerseys are just too detailed to really reproduce properly on a hockey jersey or at a small size. Don't try to take photorealistic elements and try to make a logo out of them -- that's something I learned early on in my dabbles in Illustrator. And spelling out "Northern Knights" at the bottom of the shield is wholly unnecessary. It winds up too small to make out at a distance, but, more importantly, you don't need to spell everything out for people all the time. Work on making it an iconic mark that will speak for itself; you don't see the Montreal Canadiens spelling out their team name underneath their logo on their jerseys.

Work on your consistency and attention to detail, too. I can see, in both these sets, differently coloured sleeve numbers and stray pixels. And all four have the exact same white-grey-white collar -- even the Knights, which is not supposed to have grey in the colour scheme. It will all add up to a much more professional-looking presentation.

Bump. Simplifications and changes made. Lemme know what works, what hasn't. Here's one more, heavily influenced by two LA Kings eras.

The Regina Royals.

Croyals%20jerseys.PNG

Nice! Glad I seem to have picked up on the tips you all have given me.

I have a couple more ideas which I will post soon.

If *I* have a nitpick about the Royals though, it's that I feel like I used the same typeface as Crown Royal. I was going through my list, and that seemed to be the one that worked the best for this concept.

CrownRoyalLogo.jpg

Any similarities? Just what I thought.

I don't think your concept resembles the Crown Royal much more than this does:

bttwmf2h5uomt3lgag1j09g3b.gif

I mean when you have Royals written in cursive-ish style, or however you want to describe that, it's going to look similar.

You didn't loop your "l", and you used different colors everywhere, so I wouldn't worry about being seen as a copier or whatever.

If it were a more "unique" font (like the one in this story), then I could see it maybe being an issue.

Archived