Hockey Concept: Atlantic Mariners

Magnus

Alright, well I'd like some specifics on the individual identities so I know which areas to attack. I'm obviously not seeing my errors.

That's why I'm trying to get specific feedback. I'm taking this all as a learning exercise; I know I'm not at the level of the majority of concept posters here; that's why I'm trying to listen and learn.

So, specifically, what should I revise, in which concept(s)?

I think that would help me a little more than just a blanket statement saying

"everything needs work". If I don't know what to work on, how can I fix it?

Anyway, I agree I should take some time away from this.

I'm missing The Big Chill at the Big House now, anyway.

Well, unfortunately, Paint is all I have. That and a crappy little Photoshop knockoff. To be honest, I am taking time to do the actual logos. And I'm going back to the ones that definitely need improvement, whether I notice or someone else points it out. I'm probably taking a lot less time on the uniforms themselves, to be sure. I'm just asking for feedback; help; anything, really. Everyone else on the boards has a lot more talent; I'm just trying to learn here.

Alright then.

Your logos need to be more professional looking. I know you only use MS Paint (presumably). Well so do I. Using Vectormagic, Print Screen, and effort, you can make our concepts not look so rushed. Take a look at a few of mine to see what I mean.

You don't need to take time away from this. You need to take more time on making the logos good. You could have made an excellent logo and jersey set for your first team by this time. Look at the Wolverines post from a little while ago. You can either spit out 20 messy, sloppy, rushed logos and past them onto jersey templates, or you can make a few fantastic logos if you take your time. If you want specifics on each team, well then here.

Cascade - This is the second time you've posted it, and it looks basically the same. The basic skeletal concept is there, but it's not really anything right now. It looks like a quick idea someone had in class and sketched down, except you didn't really do anything with it. nothing about it says "Cascades" to me.

Royals - A little better, but it looks like a piece of clipart in a circle. It doesn't look like a logo to me.

Comets - The old one was much better. Instead of being a comet, ythe new one is basically the OHL script spelling out COMET. Try to build on the old one to remove the "Met" in blue that immediately jumps to the eye.

Patriots - If you can't see what's wrong with this logo then you should take another hard look at it. It doesn't look like a beaver. You can blaze past me when I say it, just like last time, OR you can make it actually look like a beaver. It's a circle with a clown nose, two pinchers, and two cross-eyes with copy-pasted maple leafs on them. After a while of thinking about it you get it, but it doesn't change the way it is. I hate to shoot you down like this, but if you ask for constructive criticism and then you ignore or disregard it then there's no reason to ask for it at all. Right now it seems like view count is more important to you than replies. Look at pictures of beavers. See what they look like. Instead of adapting the abstract concept of a beaver, adapt the actual shapes and features. Google "beaver". If you can honestly look at the Patriots logo and say "that's a fair representation of a beaver" then you should try to take yourself more seriously as a designer and really ask yourself "what changes have to be made?" instead of "what team should I do next?". One good logo is better than a whole league of crummy ones.

Vipers - Completely start this one over using less disgusting colours, gradients, and using an actual viper as a reference point instead of what you think it looks like.

I took the time to do this because I know that no matter what tools somebody has, potential is always there when interest is. Really work on your logos. Look at Davidson's work. Read his guidelines; without them I wouldn't be half the designer I am. Look at threads by the best designers here. Logo designing take three things:

- Ideas

- Effort

- Time

Take that in mind in the future, and you'll be a great designer. You definitely have the ambition for it.

My NHL Rebrand Blog

Check it out and comment.

@ JackFr:

Thanks.

To all members of this board:

Thanks as well. It might feel to you guys like you're trying to teach a 2-year-old how to draw, but this is the input that I really need. This is why I love visiting this board. Everyone else's designs/concepts are wonderful. I appreciate the time you've taken to help me get my act together. It's up to me to take time and execute.

And yeah, unfortunately that Coons one is clipart. I should make a real one for sure.

Alright, so after reading over recommendations on the Vipers, here is what I have come up with over the last few hours for that identity.

I have a reference image on the left.

vipers%20new%20logo.PNG

I built the scales one at a time using the polygon tool. I decided to build the eyes and fangs separately and incorporate them after I was happy with them. Here's what I have so far.

Archived