Hockey Traditionalists Nightmare - Bettman Must Go

Notch Novelty

SyPhi, you are correct, the assertion isn't quite backed up by the statistics. But San Jose more than holds its own with Hockeytown Anglo-Canada.

Woah, woah, woah... San Jose has some great fans, but it's nowhere in the same league in terms of obsessiveness as Toronto.

Do you realise that the capacity for Toronto's arena in that time period was somewhere around the 15,700 mark?

I can't remember the last non-sellout in Toronto, I'm thinking it goes back to the 1940s.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris is right, I mean we are passionate out here, but Toronto takes the cake. Remind you all that Team Teal has been in the league for only 13 seasons. Once our franchise has been in the league as long as the Leafs, I think it will be just as passionate.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The Leafs seem to take claim to, I'd say, about 35% of Canada. They are the only team's merchandise available in non-sports stores around here, and they still manage to sell.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

SyPhi, you are correct, the assertion isn't quite backed up by the statistics. But San Jose more than holds its own with Hockeytown Anglo-Canada.

Woah, woah, woah... San Jose has some great fans, but it's nowhere in the same league in terms of obsessiveness as Toronto.

Do you realise that the capacity for Toronto's arena in that time period was somewhere around the 15,700 mark?

I can't remember the last non-sellout in Toronto, I'm thinking it goes back to the 1940s.

Point taken. I should have noted that in my analysis.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

What about Carolina? Where they only care about NASCAR. No one is defending Carolina, Miami, Phoenix

It's true that Carolina has very little fan support, and I think that putting a team here was a mistake. They did better in Hartford, and would be better off there, or in Winnipeg, or up my nose.

They must have looked at all the northern transplants and figured that there are 50,000 loyal hockey fans in the area. Unfortunately, 10,000 are Sabres fans, 10,000 are Rangers fans, 10,000 are Flyers fans, etc... the Canes have 500 actual fans. Everyone else is there to see the other team.

Oh, and getting back to one of your previous posts, you may be surprised to learn that, despite the large NASCAR following here, there's no track in the Cane's market area. The closest track is in Rockingham, 2 hours away, and only hosts one event a year.

Fans here actually seem to be more interesed in college basketball than anything.

BUT... Carolina is just a sidebar in your illogical trashing of San Jose... two completely unrelated situations.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

The thing is, it's all sports marketing. Why did they put LA in the Next 6, when so many other cities did it? Because, if a southern city is large enough, one can expect a "cult" audience of about 15k a game, about enough to sustain a team, then bandwagoneers in when certain teams (Montréal, Toronto, Detroit, New York-area, Philly, etc.) come in to town. It's why they chose Tampa too.

The other southeast cities aren't really large enough (With exception to Atlanta. INteresting tid-bit, the team didn't fold or anything when they were the Flames. It was all a profit deal to Skalbania) to use this. It was all mainly for the TV contract.

Looping around, I think that should this impending lockout occur, the strength of each market's fanbase is going to come into the light. Markets that do not have strong support are going to be hit hard, and some aren't going to survive. Carolina is one example of that IMO.

Looking at attendance figures made availible, and just at how the team has faired since the move, I don't think it's a team that can survive a lockout. The loss in ticket revenue might be enough to signal the end for them.

Likewise for other teams, it could have an affect paramount to the baseball strike. It will really show what markets have support for their teams, and which will give up on them should they not take the ice this October.

As long as the Oilers stay put... I've been saying it for ten years now. It's the only thing that separates Edmonton from Saskatoon...

I beg to differ. Saskatoon doesn't have a huge-ass mall.

:D

As long as the Oilers stay put... I've been saying it for ten years now.  It's the only thing that separates Edmonton from Saskatoon...

I beg to differ. Saskatoon doesn't have a huge-ass mall.

:D

That goes without saying... Saskatoon doesn't have anything...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Saskatoon isn't nowhere, but it's just down the road from it....

...also known as Regina! :lol:

I'm sorry GMac... that was like a gimme putt... it was hanging on the lip, just had to tap-tap-tapperoo it right in!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived