How long do "Legends" and "Leaders" last?

pianoknight

Just a thought....

Why don't they rename the entire conference the "Midwest 12" and rename the divisions:

"Heartland" and "Bread Basket"?

That is, if they kept the teams where they were.

Or they keep the Legends and Leaders titles, just rename this conference the "Big Brothers of the Rich" or "Douchebag Dozen" (and I don't have anything against the Big Ten... except for Ohio State). Might as well with those names.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought....

Why don't they rename the entire conference the "Midwest 12" and rename the divisions:

"Heartland" and "Bread Basket"?

There is too much value to keeping the Big Ten brand. Kind of like how Texas is keeping the Big XII name (or maybe they don't see the point in hiring a consultant to rebrand something they'll throw out the window in a couple of years anyway.)

As for your proposed names, they are too interchangeable. To be honest, a lot of the non-directional names are, because there just isn't a divide between the schools that you can exploit for such names. Plains and Lakes is the closest to not being interchangeable, and presumably the "Plains" division has both Michigan schools (and the land of a thousand lakes), so even that isn't that good of a dividing point.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Delany says they may reconsider the names.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5930029&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5930029

CHICAGO -- Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany says the conference may reconsider the names of its new divisions after overwhelmingly negative feedback.Delany told WGN AM-720 in Chicago that the Legends and Leaders names were designed to highlight the Big Ten's rich history and that "to a great extent it's fallen on deaf ears."

Many fans have mocked the nicknames and the Big Ten offices have been flooded with letters asking the conference to reconsider the names.

Delaney says that could happen after the first of the year, once people have had a chance "to breathe a little bit."

Delany says the conference considered naming the divisions after people, but decided that would be too limited.

Let's go by historic powers-East has 3, West has 1, and that 1 is still digging out from a disastrous stretch. Iowa and Wisconsin are on that next tier, but Iowa vacilates too often between "what the hell" good seasons and self destructing due to one cause or another (latest culprit: drugs) and pre-Alvarez Wisconsin was mediocre at best (and post-Alvarez Wisconsin is only good if they have good RBs). A Big XII repeat is too easy for this to be truly acceptable.

Do me a favor and point out the last time (and the next time, for what it's worth), that the Badgers DON'T have a good RB and an outstanding line. Not based on what happens or might happen in the NFL, but in how they do in the NCAA.

Mediocre would have been WONDERFUL pre-Alvarez. I had to sit through the Don Morton era (favorite chant in the student section - We came to see the band!).

It's where I sit.

I seriously don't understand this Michigan-Ohio State thing at all. If this is the Most Intense Rivalry In Sports, shouldn't a rematch for the conference championship ratchet the intensity to unprecedented levels? If some of the NFL's greatest rivalries can be staged up to three times a year, why can't this?

"Hey, do you think it would be cool if Michigan and Ohio State played for the championship?"

"no, it should only be used to extrapolate which school has higher academic standards and undergraduate alcohol tolerance, duh"

It is silly that they aligned the division speciically around OSU and Michigan, but I understand why they did it. I don't care if they face off again in the title game. My only caveat is they have to schedule the regular game in the middle of the season instead of the last game. Nobody wants to see two teams play two weeks in a row. If both teams already wrapped up their division and neither was in the national championship picture going into that game, we would see a glorified scrimmage for their regularly scheduled "battle of the century."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

A blindingly obvious idea just occurred to me: Why not just sell or auction off the division naming rights? Whatever two sponsors they come up with would surely make for better names than "Leaders" and "Legends", and they can rake in a few more million dollars in the process.

CCSLC signature.png

A blindingly obvious idea just occurred to me: Why not just sell or auction off the division naming rights? Whatever two sponsors they come up with would surely make for better names than "Leaders" and "Legends", and they can rake in a few more million dollars in the process.

I am surprised that the Big Whatever didn't come up with this their ownselves.

Pepsi Division vs the Burger King Division anyone?

FsQiF2W.png

Or make the Division's rivalrys. Pepsi vs. Coke, King vs. Clown. Windows vs. Mac. You can hide the blatant corporateness of it by Naming them after the Company Founders.

Bradham (Pepsi) vs. Pemberton (Coke)

McDonald (McD's) vs. Kramer-Burns (BK)

Gates (Windows) vs. Jobbs? (Apple)

Midwest ones would work best obviously, but whats made in the midwest these days?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

In before "Ro-Tel vs. Barbasol". <_<

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is too much value to keeping the Big Ten brand. Kind of like how Texas is keeping the Big XII name (or maybe they don't see the point in hiring a consultant to rebrand something they'll throw out the window in a couple of years anyway.)

The problem is that there is not nearly as much value in the Big 12 as there is in the Big Ten, since the Big 12 has only been around for 15 years.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived