Worst:

1. Chargers-Bengals

Best:

1a. Giants - Packers

1b. Jets - Bears

1c. Colts - Raiders

Worst:

Chargers - Bengals

Red, you could've just quoted me, or posted "+1" .... but thanks for the visuals!

After you stole my act? Wait...it kind of looks like I stole your act. :D Honestly, I didn't even notice that we had the same top three and the same worst game. In any case, there's no denying that we both have great taste.

I wouldn't exactly say I stole your act. My picks are more like the 'pre-game show' to your 'Main Event'. :D

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Giants have one of the worst road sets in the NFL. The team's called "Big Blue" affectionately, but there's no blue at all on the jersey.

Come to think of it, the Giants have one of the worst overall sets in the NFL. The home jersey doesn't even come close to matching the road jersey - they look like two completely different teams at home and on the road. Also, both uniforms are boring and ugly. The home in particular is sartorial wallpaper.

The Giants got it right uniform-wise in the '90s. All of their uniform changes since then have been big mistakes.

NYGiants91.gif

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Giants have one of the worst road sets in the NFL. The team's called "Big Blue" affectionately, but there's no blue at all on the jersey.

Come to think of it, the Giants have one of the worst overall sets in the NFL. The home jersey doesn't even come close to matching the road jersey - they look like two completely different teams at home and on the road. Also, both uniforms are boring and ugly. The home in particular is sartorial wallpaper.

You might want to consider turning the "Lights On" because you obviously can't see very well. :P

BB52Big.jpg

You might want to consider turning the "Lights On" because you obviously can't see very well. :P

This is one of the extremely rare times where he makes a good point. I can understand liking one set or the other (though I like neither), but both? There is no justification to have two of the same color pants with different striping (cases like the Broncos and Falcons excepted, however the Giants isn't done for a color matching purpose), nor is there any justification to have your primary color completely absent from your road jersey, nor is there any justification to have stripes on one and not on the other. It's a total mess. The only improvement that the Giants have made since 1999 is in the color of the helmet (though there was something cool about the old navy lid.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is one of the extremely rare times where he makes a good point. I can understand liking one set or the other (though I like neither), but both? There is no justification to have two of the same color pants with different striping (cases like the Broncos and Falcons excepted, however the Giants isn't done for a color matching purpose), nor is there any justification to have your primary color completely absent from your road jersey, nor is there any justification to have stripes on one and not on the other. It's a total mess. The only improvement that the Giants have made since 1999 is in the color of the helmet (though there was something cool about the old navy lid.)

Personally I think the Giants got it right in 2000, before they stripped the road uniforms of all blue and had one set of grey pants. You can't beat this look, as far as the Giants are concerned.

NYGiants00.gif

Really, I like the addition of grey, the return to a simple jersey design, and the return of the NY logo.

• The grey because it helps distinguish the Giants from other red, white, and blue teams out there. It helps them stand out.
  • The simpler jersey design because the Giants are one of those old, pre-Super Bowl NFL teams. You may find all of that traditional stuff boring, but you cannot deny that it simply works for some teams, particularly the ones with long histories.
  • Finally the NY blows the GIANTS script out of the water as a primary mark. When your team is in a market like New York you don't need to play up the nickname. You play up the civic identity. It's the same reason I want to see the Jets adopt this as their primary.

The Giants got it right uniform-wise in the '90s. All of their uniform changes since then have been big mistakes.

I'm not the biggest fan of monochrome white, so I could live with this set and gray pants, but these jerseys blow the current ones away.

That set wasn't any better. Where's the red on the home jersey, other than that ugly, basketball-esque collar triangle? But at least in that era, there was some consistency to the uniforms.

So there's some consistency but it's not any better? :blink: Wouldn't the consistency make it better, if what you're complaining about is a lack of consistency in the current Giants set?

The designers of the uniform are on record saying they looked into adding red outlines to the numbers on the blue jerseys, but decided against it because it ruined the neo-retro look they were going for. The 2000 redesign is an attempt to inject as much consistency as possible into the framework of the classic design they wanted to use, and in my opinion it works very well.

No, home and road jerseys don't match, but so what? Consistency, while nice, isn't a deal breaker. It is on the current Giants set because the inconsistency is so jarring. The inconsistencies on the previous 2000 set, however, are done in such a way that the two uniforms still look like the belong in the same set. It's inconsistent, but it still works.

We disagree.

That's fine. I'm still holding you to the logo though. In no way whatsoever is the GIANTS script a better primary then the NY :P

Not really. Neither is good, but the Giants wordmark is "strong", while the "ny" just looks old and weak. I agree about stressing New York over Giants, but a lowercase ny just doesn't befit a team nicknamed the Giants at all. I actually prefer the underlined Giants in this case, though a whole different NY would probably be better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like it as well, but it would need a better uniform to go with than the one they used.

I like it as well, but it would need a better uniform to go with than the one they used.

Indeed. To bad the Colts own the "blue and white double stripes over the shoulder" look. That would have looked really nice with that Giants logo.

Truth be told this is my favourite Giants logo, by far....

Here's the official version of that logo (utilizing both Blue and Red for reproduction on White backgrounds):

NewYorkGiants_PML1_1975.png

Personally, that set from '75 was the only Giants set I've ever liked.

Truth be told this is my favourite Giants logo, by far....

918.gif

Not nearly as good as the one they currently use, but much better than the GIANTS script.

And didn't they used to wear blue pants when they had that logo?

6uXNWAo.png

Ok. Why? Because a bunch of uniform geeks like us say so? If it looks good it looks good. Period. I like them, you don't. Anything after that is just us thumping on our chests. The Giants don't need any "justification" for the design of their uniforms. No one does. Ask Oregon. :P

EDIT: And while I'm at it...

Things don't always have to be consistent

So there.

BB52Big.jpg

1. Watching Redskins at Jaguars today, it's striking how much better the Skins' uniforms look (despite the pick your own TV number font thing they have going on).

2. I hope they get rid of this set when they leave Jacksonville...and from the number of empty seats and tarped over sections visible today, that shouldn't be too far down the road.

1. The Skins uniforms are painfully ugly. The Jags plain and simple uniforms are 1000 times better then those 1976 models that the Skins keep trotting out.

2. They have 9 straight sell-outs. They ain't going anywhere.

Not surprisingly, you are wrong on all accounts. The Redskins looked much better than the horrible Jaguars uniforms, and it's only a matter of time before the Jaguars move to LA.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not surprisingly, you are wrong on all accounts. The Redskins looked much better than the horrible Jaguars uniforms, and it's only a matter of time before the Jaguars move to LA.

Not surprisingly, you are wrong to disagree with someone else's OPINIONS. Its my OPINION that Washington's uniforms are ass-ugly and a new design (with a deeper maroon) is desparately needed (along with a new owner).

The Jags uniforms are just fine and very simple. I am surprised they take so much flak here from the stodgy traditionalists that frequent the Creamer boards.

The Jags sold out every game in 2010. They aren't going anywhere and NOBODY is going to LA until they build a stadium. And when they do, it will be San Diego or Oakland (again) who will likely head to LA. Not Jacksonville or Minnesota.

Archived