2011 World U20 Junior Hockey Championships

Don

I think the World Juniors should cut the field in half. Let's be honest with ourselves that Sweden, Canada, United States, Finland, Russia and a wild card team should be the field. The wild card team would come from a pre tournament where the winner advance to the World Juniors. I'm not saying that Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Switzerland aren't good teams, but they aren't in the class of the big countries. Maybe drop it to four and two wild cards, but make the Juniors a better tournament by getting rid of the teams that don't belong. Make them earn their way into the final field and make the final field earn it's way to a gold by competing year and year out against each other. Then again, can we just stop calling this the World Juniors and call it what it really is, the Canada Cup? I would love to see it renamed the Canada Cup.

You've entered willmorris territory.

'Splain to the uninitiated.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the World Juniors should cut the field in half. Let's be honest with ourselves that Sweden, Canada, United States, Finland, Russia and a wild card team should be the field. The wild card team would come from a pre tournament where the winner advance to the World Juniors. I'm not saying that Germany, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and Switzerland aren't good teams, but they aren't in the class of the big countries. Maybe drop it to four and two wild cards, but make the Juniors a better tournament by getting rid of the teams that don't belong. Make them earn their way into the final field and make the final field earn it's way to a gold by competing year and year out against each other. Then again, can we just stop calling this the World Juniors and call it what it really is, the Canada Cup? I would love to see it renamed the Canada Cup.

It just reminded me of will's post claiming that only SEC teams should be able to play for the BCS national title.

Yes, there is a gap between the dominant teams and the not so dominant teams, but excluding the later from the tournament seems unfair. The US, one of the favourites to win, only beat Switzerland, one of the lower tier teams, by one goal. Not so long ago the Czech Republic was considered a hockey powerhouse. Things change to frequently and the "lower tier" teams are talented enough that trying to exclude said lower tier is a bad idea.

It just reminded me of will's post claiming that only SEC teams should be able to play for the BCS national title.

Yes, there is a gap between the dominant teams and the not so dominant teams, but excluding the later from the tournament seems unfair. The US, one of the favourites to win, only beat Switzerland, one of the lower tier teams, by one goal. Not so long ago the Czech Republic was considered a hockey powerhouse. Things change to frequently and the "lower tier" teams are talented enough that trying to exclude said lower tier is a bad idea.

The willmorris stuff notwithstanding, they already do exactly what oddball is asking for. In case people don't know, the teams not making the medal round get sent into a relegation tourney. Who ever loses that tourney gets relegated to the World Jr. "B" Tourney, and the gold medal winner from this year's "B" tourney will replace the team relegated from the big tourney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_U20_Championship#Participating_countries

So, since only Canada, Sweden and Finland have participated every year, the argument that a tourney with the US, Russia and the Czechs is poor, especially since the Czechs have to avoid relegation this year...

I am loving Ryan Johansen from the brief amount of Canada games I've been able to watch. He looks like he has "it" and I look forward to him making the big club in Columbus.

Yes he does. A lot of speculation he'll start the season in Columbus next year. I'd love to see that.

6fQjS3M.png

I am loving Ryan Johansen from the brief amount of Canada games I've been able to watch. He looks like he has "it" and I look forward to him making the big club in Columbus.

Yes he does. A lot of speculation he'll start the season in Columbus next year. I'd love to see that.

I was disappointed at the draft that we didn't get Gudbranderson. Not any more.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Go Canada Go!

See ya next year US!

:flagcanada::woot:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

canadiansbig_77349.jpg

Sorry, I had to. :P

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Even though I'm Canadian, I defend Buffalo a lot on here mostly because I'm a major fan of their two major sports franchises (I live about a 1/2 hour from Buffalo). But that was a disgraceful showing for a city that calls themselves one of the best hockey markets in America. That arena had to be at least 80% Canadian fans yesterday.

That being said....Lets beat the damn Russians tomorrow!

Archived