The Best and Worst Winter Classic Jerseys

Morgan33

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully if the winter classic comes to philly, they'll just wear the 80s-90s orange jerseys.

The word on the street is that it just might happen.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I loved both the BLACKHAWKS and BRUINS Winter classic looks, and this is coming from a SABRES fan originally from Buffalo.

The only thing I ever liked about anything having to do with the FLYERS which has nothing to do with the Winter Classic was when they ran the Russians temporarily off the ice in protest with their roughhouse tactics in that '75 exhibition game, that was epic! :D

Hopefully if the winter classic comes to philly, they'll just wear the 80s-90s orange jerseys.

I hope so, we (philly) would be a great city to have it.

And as I said, these would be awesome jersey's to wear for it.

eric_lindros_retirement.jpg

I thnk they'll probably give the next one to the NY RANGERS since they haven't been in one yet, to be at the new YANKEE Stadium.

Was surprised when Pittsburgh got this past one since they featured in the one in Buffalo prior to the BRUINS the previous year, but I think that's only because they feature the games biggest star.

7. Buffalo (They have a lot of better throwbacks they could have used than these)

7. Buffalo- Too many other great ideas, they went with a boring option IMO.

Two people in a row said this. The Sabres were in the slug era for the first Winter Classic. nhluniforms.com says that they darkened their shade of blue in 1980 and made other minor changes, but the Sabres basically had FIVE uniforms in 35 years before the slug era: two blue and gold jerseys, three red and black jerseys. They were 1.5 seasons removed from the red and black era... where is the fan demand to "throwback" to 2 years ago? They really had two choices for their Winter Classic jersey: blue and gold home or blue and gold away. You may not like what they did, but it's not like they're the Habs with a million different throwback options.

I thnk they'll probably give the next one to the NY RANGERS since they haven't been in one yet, to be at the new YANKEE Stadium.

Was surprised when Pittsburgh got this past one since they featured in the one in Buffalo prior to the BRUINS the previous year, but I think that's only because they feature the games biggest star.

For the umptienth time, a Winter Classic at Yankee Stadium is highly improbable due to the stadium's commitment to the Pinstripe Bowl for the next few years.

patriotssignature.png

I hope so, we (philly) would be a great city to have it.

And as I said, these would be awesome jersey's to wear for it.

eric_lindros_retirement.jpg

God I hope not.

No disrespect to Flyers fans but you were in the Winter Classic just 2 years ago. Lets let some other teams participate shall we.

No disrespect to Flyers fans but you were in the Winter Classic just 2 years ago. Lets let some other teams participate shall we.

The problem with the WC is the only teams that qualify for it are cold weather cities to host (unless neutral site is an option) and teams that will draw on national tv meaning only American teams.

This limits the NHL to:

New York Rangers

Washington Capitals

Boston Bruins

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

On an outside chance:

The California teams (as visitors)

Minnesota Wild

Colorado Avalanche

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

According to Pierre LeBrun, Lincoln Financial Field is the fruntrunner for next year's game, with the Rangers being the opponent. Spectacor president Peter Lukko denies being contacted by the league.

link

From CBC Sports:

another link

For the record, I think this would be a terrible idea, as the Mummers parade (which lasts from the AM well into the night) uses up a ton of the police resources, closes down many streets, stresses mass transit, and is kind of a big deal) is also that day, and IMO there shouldn't be anything in the city that would compete with it. Gotta love thousands of drunk clowns (literally) with little umbrellas, and cops being asked to hold open containers so people can take pictures.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Stop praising the Blackhawks' third; you're only further encouraging them.

I agree. They do nothing for me. I don't like wearing throwbacks as a fulltime alternate. A few times a year is fine, but when you "throw back" once a week it just doesn't work. The alt should stick with and expand upon the current look, as they did with the previous black jerseys (which were still unnecessary). Their current unis are close to perfect, IMO. Wearing throwbacks regularly creates a dichotomy - which unis are better? If the throwbacks are better, go with them fulltime. If not, don't wear them at all. It is silly to willingly wear a considerably worse jersey as an alt, but at least they don't have the opposite problem like the Sabres and others had, where they end up wearing the throwbacks fulltime because the current unis suck.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The problem with the WC is the only teams that qualify for it are cold weather cities to host (unless neutral site is an option) and teams that will draw on national tv meaning only American teams.

This limits the NHL to:

New York Rangers

Washington Capitals

Boston Bruins

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

On an outside chance:

Minnesota Wild

Colorado Avalanche

Your right about everything you said but this sure makes me care less about the Winter Classic. The best part of the event is seeing the jerseys and if its limited to just those 8 teams (you forgot Buffalo) the novelty is gonna wear off very quick. I really hope the Wild get a Winter Classic and we see a Kelly Green fauxback.

Stop praising the Blackhawks' third; you're only further encouraging them.

I agree. They do nothing for me. I don't like wearing throwbacks as a fulltime alternate. A few times a year is fine, but when you "throw back" once a week it just doesn't work. The alt should stick with and expand upon the current look, as they did with the previous black jerseys (which were still unnecessary). Their current unis are close to perfect, IMO. Wearing throwbacks regularly creates a dichotomy - which unis are better? If the throwbacks are better, go with them fulltime. If not, don't wear them at all. It is silly to willingly wear a considerably worse jersey as an alt, but at least they don't have the opposite problem like the Sabres and others had, where they end up wearing the throwbacks fulltime because the current unis suck.

All good points, to which I'd add that I'm tired of ringed logos, the rudimentary Indian head looks dopey, and I can't read black numbers on mostly black sweaters without HDTV.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This limits the NHL to:

New York Rangers

Washington Capitals

Boston Bruins

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

On an outside chance:

Minnesota Wild

Colorado Avalanche

Your right about everything you said but this sure makes me care less about the Winter Classic. The best part of the event is seeing the jerseys and if its limited to just those 8 teams (you forgot Buffalo) the novelty is gonna wear off very quick. I really hope the Wild get a Winter Classic and we see a Kelly Green fauxback.

I didn't forget Buffalo. Outside of Ryan Miller they virtually no national draw. I would put them in the maybe pile with Minnesota only because its cold there, not because the NHL really wants to market the Sabres.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

Teams (American) that I think will never host or play in a WC:

Phoenix

Dallas

St.Louis

Columbus

Nashville

Atlanta

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Florida

New Jersey

New York Islanders

The Canadian teams have their Heritage Classic, but I am assuming that will never be as big as the Winter Classic or be broadcast on American TV.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

For the record, I think this would be a terrible idea, as the Mummers parade (which lasts from the AM well into the night) uses up a ton of the police resources, closes down many streets, stresses mass transit, and is kind of a big deal) is also that day, and IMO there shouldn't be anything in the city that would compete with it. Gotta love thousands of drunk clowns (literally) with little umbrellas, and cops being asked to hold open containers so people can take pictures.

Since New Years Day 2012 falls on a Sunday, wouldn't the Winter Classic be played Jan. 2 along with the normally Jan. 1, bowl games?

Phoenix

Dallas

St.Louis

Columbus

Nashville

Atlanta

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Florida

New Jersey

New York Islanders

The Canadian teams have their Heritage Classic, but I am assuming that will never be as big as the Winter Classic or be broadcast on American TV.

Those teams will at least play in one if they have a star or two to market one day... Why wouldn't the Heritage Classic ever be as big as the Winter Classic? You underestimate how many people up here sit inside in the winter and do nothing but watch hockey.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Phoenix

Dallas

St.Louis

Columbus (Rick Nash)

Nashville

Atlanta

Carolina (Staal - Ward)

Tampa Bay (Stamkos - St.Louis)

Florida

New Jersey (Kovalchuk - Brodeur)

New York Islanders (Tavares - DiPietro)

Those teams will at least play in one if they have a star or two to market one day... Why wouldn't the Heritage Classic ever be as big as the Winter Classic? You underestimate how many people up here sit inside in the winter and do nothing but watch hockey.

I didn't underestimate the "up here" crowd. But how many people "down here" will tune into the HC?

I added some of the Star players those teams have, those teams still don't draw in the U.S. at a level that the NHL would like.

Yes, you'll watch the Heritage Classic, so will I, as well as most people in the CCSCL. But How many casual fans in America will tune in for any of the teams I mentioned above or any Canadian team aside from Toronto or maybe Montreal? Will the Heritage Classic be broadcast on American tv?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011

This limits the NHL to:

New York Rangers

Washington Capitals

Boston Bruins

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

On an outside chance:

Minnesota Wild

Colorado Avalanche

I didn't forget Buffalo. Outside of Ryan Miller they virtually no national draw. I would put them in the maybe pile with Minnesota only because its cold there, not because the NHL really wants to market the Sabres.

The fact that they hosted the first winter classic puts them in that category

Archived