The Best and Worst Winter Classic Jerseys

Morgan33

Reading this thread... I get the feeling a lot of people think the Buffalo/Pittsburgh outdoor game was the first time the NHL ventured outside. I know the Winter Classic and Heritage Classic are different things, and the NHL certainly likes to keep it that way, but let's not forget it was the Oilers that opened the floodgates to the outdoor game (NHL-wise).

2754528_std.jpg

Not at all. I considered adding Heritage Classic jerseys to this discussion when I started the thread but they've honestly been so uncreative and abysmal I didnt see the point. Montreal just changed the collar and number fonts on theirs, Edmonton just replicated their white dynasty jerseys and the Flames made what is arguably the worst fauxback yet with those awful Ronald McDonald Clownsuits they try to pass off as uniforms.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually like Detroits, and I like the Sabres throwback look when used for throwback games. It's ok for fulltime I guess.

But the rest suck.

The Bruins throwback looks like a 3 year old drew it.

Both Penguins are horrible considering they have the gold and black to use.

Since everyone is going back to throwbacks, the Caps wore something very similar to what they already wear.

The Blackhawks black throwback replacing the other black third sucked.

Philly...super.

How exactly does a three year old draw a jersey? I honestly don't get how anybody can insult such an awesome looking sweater.

People have different opinions?

I know I dislike those Bruins sweaters.

Just my opinion but...

They're unnecessary. The Bruins have a long and rich history with plenty of legitimate designs to use for throwbacks. Given that a fauxback is entirely unnecessary.

The Bruins haven't worn brown in over 60 years. They're a black and gold team now, not a brown and gold team.

The "three year old" part comes in with the crest. It's simply awful. Yes it's the first rendition of the classic spoked B mark, but it's by far, in my opinion, the worst rendition of it. It just looks amateurish when compared to later versions. Which is was. It's like the old Miami Dolphins logo or the old Arizona Cardinals logo; a classic design that has since recieved a badly needed update.

The "B" was easily the worst part of that jersey. I thought it when it came out, and thought it again when they wore it. I'd have preferred that they wore one of the big block B designs, or even the basketball-jersey design (number on front.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I actually like Detroits, and I like the Sabres throwback look when used for throwback games. It's ok for fulltime I guess.

But the rest suck.

The Bruins throwback looks like a 3 year old drew it.

Both Penguins are horrible considering they have the gold and black to use.

Since everyone is going back to throwbacks, the Caps wore something very similar to what they already wear.

The Blackhawks black throwback replacing the other black third sucked.

Philly...super.

How exactly does a three year old draw a jersey? I honestly don't get how anybody can insult such an awesome looking sweater.

People have different opinions?

I know I dislike those Bruins sweaters.

Just my opinion but...

They're unnecessary. The Bruins have a long and rich history with plenty of legitimate designs to use for throwbacks. Given that a fauxback is entirely unnecessary.

The Bruins haven't worn brown in over 60 years. They're a black and gold team now, not a brown and gold team.

The "three year old" part comes in with the crest. It's simply awful. Yes it's the first rendition of the classic spoked B mark, but it's by far, in my opinion, the worst rendition of it. It just looks amateurish when compared to later versions. Which is was. It's like the old Miami Dolphins logo or the old Arizona Cardinals logo; a classic design that has since recieved a badly needed update.

There are good fauxbacks and there a bad fauxbacks regardless of the teams history. The Bruins WC jersey is an example of a good fauxback because it corrects the flaws of the yellow jersey its based on like the way too thin hemline stripes and the Convoluted sock pattern. As for the inclusion of Brown, its honestly such a dark shade that from a distance it comes off as Black. The use of vintage white might be seen as trendy and unnecessary but I think it fits well unlike other jerseys like the Blue Jackets third or Penguins last WC jersey. As for the logo, I could take it or leave it. I dont have a problem with the one they used but I wouldnt like the jersey any less if they used the one from the yellow jersey below. Just curious though, which throwback do you think they should have worn?

bruins21.png%7Boption%7D

I've always been partial to this one.

Bruins06.png

Though any real throwback design would have worked. I don't doubt that a fauxback can be nice, I just find them pointless when the team in question has a plethora of actual designs to throw back to.

For the record, I feel the same way about the second Penguins Winter Classic sweater. Pointless fauxback, inferior version of the primary logo, its the same clusterfukc of design elements.

Archived