Early Football Monochrome

OldRamsFan

What's funny is that Wisconsin all red pick looks like it's against Ohio State which would mean red vs red. Granted Wisconsin's was darker then but I remember having to change from brown jerseys to white because the other team wore crimson. But since the Big Ten/11/12 was a no throwing league it wouldn't matter too much

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in college I helped compile football pictures from the schools archives and came across this gem:

uwm-ac-6-b14-f5.png

I'm not entirely sure that it's monochrome, but it looks too dark to be canvas and it wouldn't make sense for them to be wearing any colors other than dark green or white (back then they were known as the Wisconsin State Green Gulls). Although I'm posting this mainly to show off the jersey.

Back in college I helped compile football pictures from the schools archives and came across this gem:

uwm-ac-6-b14-f5.png

I'm not entirely sure that it's monochrome, but it looks too dark to be canvas and it wouldn't make sense for them to be wearing any colors other than dark green or white (back then they were known as the Wisconsin State Green Gulls). Although I'm posting this mainly to show off the jersey.

Don't let Paul Lukas get a hold of that.

(Actually, I ain't been near that site in a good year or two--does that guy still go stripe-crazy?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It is funny to see color pictures of Wisconsin in all red, because a few years ago on an ESPN/ABC game, the Badgers wore all red and the tv people went on and on about how this was the FIRST TIME EVER, that they had wore all red.

And had anyone asked me (because I was at the game), I could have told them that UW wore the Blood Clot look against Iowa in, I believe, 1989. And lost, because that was all UW did in those days. (They could have worn gold-plated titanium uniforms in those days and lost.)

Truth be told, though, I wouldn't mind the red-red look once a season -- say, Homecoming.

Packers-2.png

uwm-ac-6-b14-f5.png

UWM used to be the Green Gulls? Did not know that.

Packers-2.png

What's funny is that Wisconsin all red pick looks like it's against Ohio State which would mean red vs red. Granted Wisconsin's was darker then but I remember having to change from brown jerseys to white because the other team wore crimson. But since the Big Ten/11/12 was a no throwing league it wouldn't matter too much

I've seen a newsreel of an OSU-Wisconsin game, and yes, it was red and red.

However, according to the web address, this ...

UminnvWisS-vi.jpg

... is a Wisconsin-Minnesota game. (The north end of Camp Randall is in the background.)

Packers-2.png

Minnesota also rocked the mono golds in the 70s and 80s:

MNXXUM7275%20(5).jpg

That looks terrible.

What, you have a problem with metallic gold helmets and yellowgold jerseys and pants? Can't imagine why.

(Actually, can't imagine who thought this was a good look in those days. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.)

Packers-2.png

Minnesota used thoses starting in 1972 thru 1974?. They kept the helmets and pants in 75 and 76 but switch to maroon jerseys. They did not wear gold and gold until Brewster became coach in 2007 against Ohio State.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Minnesota used thoses starting in 1972 thru 1974?. They kept the helmets and pants in 75 and 76 but switch to maroon jerseys. They did not wear gold and gold until Brewster became coach in 2007 against Ohio State.

Hmmm... I remembered seeing some footage of Wisconsin from the 80s playing a team with dark red helmets and mono-gold. I always assumed it was the Gophers because I can't imagine who else it might have been. Iowa State, perhaps?

I think I may also be the only person here who actually likes the Gophers' mono-golds. Even the 1970s versions don't look that terrible to me when I grade them on that era's mismatch curve.

when teams do it today, all they are doing is honoring the past to begin with.

who knows? the thinking back then probably was...why wear white? it just gets dirty...haha

and then theres the fact that even through the early 50s, teams played color vs color. When did home whites start ?

..I know this may have nothing to with all that is said. Just throwing it out there.

but, how old are you to not know that monochrome was in effect from pretty much the beginning?

Just a question, I dont mean for it to sound insulting by any means.

I think it made since early on since not all teams colored a leather helmet or couldnt afford to or something.Color had to go somewhere

but today, the uniforms are so sleak and short sleeved that you need to alter a helmet and pants to get noticed.And a helmet today can be the base of your uniform color wise so to speak.

Hmmm... I remembered seeing some footage of Wisconsin from the 80s playing a team with dark red helmets and mono-gold. I always assumed it was the Gophers because I can't imagine who else it might have been. Iowa State, perhaps?

I wonder if you're thinking of Indiana's cream (which was more like light yellow) and crimson from 1983. I saw nearly every UW game in the '80s, and no one wore mono-gold in any year that I can remember. (And I don't think they played Iowa State until 1991, Alvarez's second year.)

Packers-2.png

but, how old are you to not know that monochrome was in effect from pretty much the beginning?

I'm 43 years old. I'm not offended, I find it funny you ask that question, because it doesn't seem like "monochrome has been around for years and years" is one of those kernels of truth that most people seem to know. You make it seem like I just found out that McDonald's serves burgers.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

I'm 43 years old. I'm not offended, I find it funny you ask that question, because it doesn't seem like "monochrome has been around for years and years" is one of those kernels of truth that most people seem to know. You make it seem like I just found out that McDonald's serves burgers.

having eaten McDonalds, I'm pretty sure those arent burgers haha.

I'm sorry for assuming so much. I just figured guys on this site might know that sort of thing early on. granted, not really sure when I had found it out myself haha.

the point is, everything old is new again, but it seemed more common back than after they got away from khaki pants. I think it looked better back then with the baggy clothes. With todays tight material you need more color seperation. i dont mind the Ravens all black at times.

I wonder if you're thinking of Indiana's cream (which was more like light yellow) and crimson from 1983. I saw nearly every UW game in the '80s, and no one wore mono-gold in any year that I can remember. (And I don't think they played Iowa State until 1991, Alvarez's second year.)

I was watching a story on the news about Gary Ellerson, who played FB for the Badgers from 1981-84, so you may be on to something. This is the only pic from Indiana in 1983 that I could find:

INXXIU8383%20%283%29.jpg

I was watching a story on the news about Gary Ellerson, who played FB for the Badgers from 1981-84, so you may be on to something. This is the only pic from Indiana in 1983 that I could find:

INXXIU8383%20%283%29.jpg

Yup. The "cream" looked like white with ring around the collar that had spread to the entire shirt and pants.

Packers-2.png

Archived