Seahawks' Helmet Fail

Dedalvs

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are dumb. It's supposed to be a bird's head from a totem pole

totem3.jpg

in which the paint and carving wraps around the back and around to the other side. It's reasonable to assume that the designer of the logo intended for a complete wraparound, but because of the helmets used in 1976 it was easier to stop it at the middle ridge.

Uh People it is not suppose to be a two headed Seahawk. Separated for a reason.

yeah, and that reason is the ridge on the middle of the old riddell helmets. If it weren't supposed to resemble some kind of wraparound look then they wouldn't have taken the logo all the way to the back of the helmet. It's implied that they connect otherwise the logo would end before it gets all the way to the back of the helmet.

Also, with it connected it's not a two-headed bird. It's one bird head with three sides; left side, back side, right side. Just like a totem pole.

boom roasted

PvO6ZWJ.png

^^^^

Exactly! As McCarthy said, it's meant to resemble a totem pole design not an actual bird. And if it wasn't meant to wrap completely around, then why have it extend to the back of the helemet at all? It would be just as easy to put the normal logo on there that has a defined end.

While the logos are supposed to connect in the back, it doesn't really bother me that they are seperated. I can live with either design. The thing about the Seahawks uniforms that really bothers me is how small the logo on their sleeves are. They eother need to make them bigger or just get rid of them completely.

jNTsTyQ.png

Hmmm, I never heard of the totem pole effect.

I just assumed the logo didn't connect because it was one logo on each side like every other team except Pittsburgh.

I think at this point in time it would look silly connected, after being separated for 34 years.

sig-1.png

In honor of the Seahawks' improbable division championship, here is the one thing that bothers me the most about the Seahawks' new identity (well, new circa 2002). It's not the colors, or the fact that the sleeves on the home jersey are darker than the jersey itself for apparently no reason?it's this (photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images):

seahawkshelmet.jpg

The back of the seahawks' heads don't meet on the back of the helmet. That would be fine if there was a stripe on the back of the helmet, or something else that covered up the place where the hawks' heads were supposed to meet, but there's nothing. As it is currently, it simply looks like a place the designers forgot about, and every time I see their damn helmets, it grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

In other words, go Saints!

My least favorite part about it is how awful the color of the helmet matches the color on the decal and the uniform. I never noticed how bad of a match it was until this season.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

In honor of the Seahawks' improbable division championship, here is the one thing that bothers me the most about the Seahawks' new identity (well, new circa 2002). It's not the colors, or the fact that the sleeves on the home jersey are darker than the jersey itself for apparently no reason?it's this (photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images):

seahawkshelmet.jpg

The back of the seahawks' heads don't meet on the back of the helmet. That would be fine if there was a stripe on the back of the helmet, or something else that covered up the place where the hawks' heads were supposed to meet, but there's nothing. As it is currently, it simply looks like a place the designers forgot about, and every time I see their damn helmets, it grates on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.

In other words, go Saints!

My least favorite part about it is how awful the color of the helmet matches the color on the decal and the uniform. I never noticed how bad of a match it was until this season.

I noticed that for the first time yesterday. Why didn't they make that part of the logo transparent to show the helmet color underneath?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here. What do you guys think? Two headed monster?

Stripes.jpg

seahawkshelmet2.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

It's a weird color. The Seahawks originally intended it to be a TOYO ink color, and/or a PANTONE Process Color. No real Pantone spot match. It is now designated as a custom Reebok color.

I think manufacturers have a real hard time matching this color across different materials. Here are the current specs:

RBK_040218_SRGB_Summary.png

I've mentioned this before, but the Charlotte Bobcats use this same exact color for their textile match in regards to their uniforms.

I can remember watching as a kid and noticing that not all of the decals ended vertically parallel, some of the helmets looked a little different in the back. Let me try to find a picture.

Here's something else interesting:

3447451805_fbde424719_o.jpg

Here's something ELSE...interesting:

86155195.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA54888FBF99065881EDB98AAAA88301CB8DF0C753318066B6CF2

OK now I'm getting frustrated, I can't find ANY images of the weird version of their decals. I think it happened on helmets that didn't have a seam going down the middle, like the guy second from the right in this picture:

1490698.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD4EFC5E63CEC2EBE819C9DFB44F5F795F32EF67E01D10D494

Anyone else have a picture of that?

Here. What do you guys think? Two headed monster?

Stripes.jpg

seahawkshelmet2.jpg

much better.

One reason the logo does not connect is for helmet decal positioning. Helmet decals come on sheets of paper before they are applied to each helmet. If the Seahawk logo was one long connecting logo, and applied center from the back of the helmet, the logo may or may not wrap around the helmets in the same manner due to the fact that helmet shell sizes are not all the same. The helmet shells are in sizes of small, medium, large, x-large, etc. So in the Seahawks case, a continuous logo may not wrap around the sides of the helmet far enough toward the front of the helmet on the larger helmets. It is a positioning thing. With the logos separated, equipment mgrs can adjust the positioning of the logo. The standard gap space over the years has been a one inch gap.

It would be tough to have a "patch" decal to bridge the gap, as even a slight misalignment that wouldn't normally be noticed would be exposed and look bad.

Also, the wrap around the back just looks weird - like a balding "horseshoe" hairline. I agree that it would be more true to the totem pole look, but it just wouldn't look great on a helmet. Remember - the totem poles also wrap around the front... the helmets can't.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived