Using Pro Combat for Boring, Not Good

nuordr

I may be wrong, but this altered Panthers logo sure looks like one I've seen on the boards before. BrandN's maybe? (Although he commented in this thread and didn't say anything about it)

Carolina Panthers Concept 2 (Road)

yea thats mine http://www.behance.net/gallery/Panthers-concept/483924

thats also my Colts helmet on his version before i added the checkered flag pattern

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

My philosophy on UniWatch is that I enjoy the scoops and in-depth historical features - in that regard, Paul covers our peculiar fascination quite well, and obviously has more extensive access than nearly all of us. But I point and laugh at the majority of the opinion and "insight". My first encounter with Paul Lukas was a column he did for the Village Voice in 2001, examining the uniforms of the XFL. And he pretty much dismissed Birmingham and Chicago right off the bat, essentially saying, "Well, they wear purple, so of course they can't look good." He's obviously matured and grown since. Ahem.

Guess again... From the Uniwatch Membership Card section...

One simple prohibition: In keeping with longstanding Uni Watch chromatic policy, we will not execute any design that includes even a tiny bit of purple. Yes, this rule is very arbitrary. And no, it is not negotiable. Also, while we?re happy to do Mets-themed treatments, we refuse to include the black drop-shadow because it?s bogus. So all our Mets designs are basically de facto throwback treatments. Again, this is not negotiable.

How do you have site about sports aesthetics when you're closed minded enough to completely omit a colour?

My philosophy on UniWatch is that I enjoy the scoops and in-depth historical features - in that regard, Paul covers our peculiar fascination quite well, and obviously has more extensive access than nearly all of us. But I point and laugh at the majority of the opinion and "insight". My first encounter with Paul Lukas was a column he did for the Village Voice in 2001, examining the uniforms of the XFL. And he pretty much dismissed Birmingham and Chicago right off the bat, essentially saying, "Well, they wear purple, so of course they can't look good." He's obviously matured and grown since. Ahem.

Guess again... From the Uniwatch Membership Card section...

One simple prohibition: In keeping with longstanding Uni Watch chromatic policy, we will not execute any design that includes even a tiny bit of purple. Yes, this rule is very arbitrary. And no, it is not negotiable. Also, while we?re happy to do Mets-themed treatments, we refuse to include the black drop-shadow because it?s bogus. So all our Mets designs are basically de facto throwback treatments. Again, this is not negotiable.

How do you have site about sports aesthetics when you're closed minded enough to completely omit a colour?

reminds me of this i read today. . .

TAKING IT PERSONALLY

Example: ?I don?t like purple.?

Sometimes a colleague or client gets hung up on a strong personal distaste, usually on one particular detail. When criticism is based on personal preference, separate subjective comments from objective ones to filter the really meaningful feedback. Readjust your line of questioning?instead of asking what the person standing next to you thinks, ask what the target audience for the project might think. Would they, too, not like purple? This helps prioritize design effort by focusing on feedback that affects usability or product quality. Remember your own biases and be honest about them. The best designers work with their audience in mind regardless of personal inclinations.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/design-criticism-creative-process

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

What is Paul's problem with purple?

He was inappropriately touched by the entire Minnesota Vikings' defensive unit as a child.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

What is Paul's problem with purple?

He was inappropriately touched by the entire Minnesota Vikings' defensive unit as a child.

Yeah, I bet some fan of a purple-team could go up to him and be like:

"What's the matter, Paulina? Did Daddy spank you with his purple belt? Is Daddy's little girl upset? GET OVER SELF AND QUIT ACTING LIKE A &%$@ LITTLE GIRL ABOUT THE COLOR PURPLE!"

Love the Skins set actually. Most of them are outstanding, especially the Seahawks, Bucs, Vikings, Eagles, Packers, Bears, Falsons, Bills, Jags, Browns.

BAD = Rams yellow home set, Panthers baby blue kitty-cat look,

5301619677_93ed5a9d6a_b.jpg5314962762_5d7f43a35a_b.jpg

87Redskins.png

Honestly, this "sleeve striping on the undershirt" has got to go. While it is pretty creative, it's hardly plausible for the NFL. Like someone mentioned, It leaves the jerseys looking like nothing but cheap practice unis. As a personal preference, I dont where long-sleeve undershirts when I played (I was a runningback), and hardly any linemen in the NFL wear them either. If players prefer not to wear these, there goes your "uniform look".

Oh, and it doesn't look good either. Keep it in college.

I think it looks good. it's a natural evolution of the uniform, and a sensible solution to the sleeve dilemma (though I do think the option to wear classic sleeves should remain for punters, Mannings, and other holdouts). I don't think they'll look like cheap practice jerseys if they're executed correctly and use a fabric that isn't too meshy or too stretchy. Given that full sleeves are never returning, would you rather they implement a system that restores the design space that's been lost, or maintain the jury-rigged status quo?

As for players preferring not to wear the compression sleeves, watch this be the time that the otherwise tyrannical NFL--at Nike's behest--finally cracks down on uniform idiosyncrasies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived