Nnamdi Asomugha = free agent.

RAIDERNATION

I've always used words such as my, we, and us when referring to my favorite teams. I've done it since I started following sports when I was 9. I guess I figure that if it weren't for a team's fans, then that team wouldn't exist, so the fans are just as much a part of the team as the management or personnel.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as you are paying money to watch them and not receiving money to work for them, they're "they", not "we" - no matter how much you dream of hugging Mathew Stafford after he gets out of the shower after just winning the Super Bowl.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is the news that an above average cornerback will be hitting the open market really thread worthy?

Except that Asomugha is consistently the best cover corner in the league. IMO, his UFA status is quite threadworthy.

Did we have a Julius Peppers FA thread last year? And I don't think Asomugha is even close to the best corner in the league.

How is he not "even close" to being the best corner in the league? Teams only completed 13 of the 33 passes thrown against him with zero touchdowns.

For comparison, Revis was targeted more in 2009, when everyone jumped all over his bandwagon, than Asomugha has been in the last three years combined. That may not be the end-all stat, but it's pretty damn telling in this instance.

Asomugha is clearly the best cover corner in the league, in my opinion.

Sorry, I miss-phrased that sentence. Asomugha is definitely a Top-5 cornerback. No question. But Revis has become the most feared cornerback in half the time that it took Asomugha to reach the same status. Revis also did it in a division that has one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Asomugha is also turning 30 years old before the start of the next season, and I'm questioning how much longer he is going keep playing at this level. He doesn't have the physical game that Charles Woodson has, and unless he is the fastest player in the league, ala Darrell Green, how long will he be able to keep up with receivers?

Right now, I would take Revis and Woodson over Asomugha. Perhaps even someone like Devin McCourty (based purely on potential) as well.

Is the news that an above average cornerback will be hitting the open market really thread worthy?

Except that Asomugha is consistently the best cover corner in the league. IMO, his UFA status is quite threadworthy.

Did we have a Julius Peppers FA thread last year? And I don't think Asomugha is even close to the best corner in the league.

How is he not "even close" to being the best corner in the league? Teams only completed 13 of the 33 passes thrown against him with zero touchdowns.

For comparison, Revis was targeted more in 2009, when everyone jumped all over his bandwagon, than Asomugha has been in the last three years combined. That may not be the end-all stat, but it's pretty damn telling in this instance.

Asomugha is clearly the best cover corner in the league, in my opinion.

Sorry, I miss-phrased that sentence. Asomugha is definitely a Top-5 cornerback. No question. But Revis has become the most feared cornerback in half the time that it took Asomugha to reach the same status. Revis also did it in a division that has one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. Asomugha is also turning 30 years old before the start of the next season, and I'm questioning how much longer he is going keep playing at this level. He doesn't have the physical game that Charles Woodson has, and unless he is the fastest player in the league, ala Darrell Green, how long will he be able to keep up with receivers?

Right now, I would take Revis and Woodson over Asomugha. Perhaps even someone like Devin McCourty (based purely on potential) as well.

Has he? Because the fact that QB's throw towards Revis three times more than they throw towards Asomugha suggests that Revis is nowhere near as feared as Asomugha. I'd consider Revis over Asomugha because of age alone, but I think Asomugha is considerably better, but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm challenging your point that Asomugha isn't the best cover corner in the league.

IUe6Hvh.png

As long as you are paying money to watch them and not receiving money to work for them, they're "they", not "we" - no matter how much you dream of hugging Mathew Stafford after he gets out of the shower after just winning the Super Bowl.

Beautiful!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Depending on the CBA and how the salary cap will work (if there even is a salary cap) expect the Eagles to make a full court press to bring him in to play opposite Asante Samuel. I'm not sure that it addresses their biggest concern, but they have a forumla for how much each position is "worth" relative to the cap, and to them, DB is the most valuable position, and worth the biggest portion of their cap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Beautiful!

The "'they', not 'we'" part or the "dream of hugging Mathew Stafford after he gets out of the shower after just winning the Super Bowl" part? :P

Archived