Jets Considering New Throwback

Brian E

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Several current NFL uniforms are really generic, and a lot of 80s and 90s uniforms were very generic. Doesn't mean they're not great though. Nostalgia is a powerful weapon.

Not a lot of nostalgia from those years. I grew up suburban NY and we got Jets, Giants, and Pats games, so I watched a lot of games from the mid-80s on. Not much to be nostalgic about there.

Oh boy, the Browning Nagle years, or the magical run they had under Kotite.

I think it is a matter of preference. While I don't look back on those years and think about how great the team was...those are the uniforms I grew up with. Those are the uniforms the team wore when I went to games with my grandpa when I was a kid. I look back on those days and I do feel nostalgia.

Bingo. Maybe they weren't the best Jets teams that wore the green helmets (white or black masks), but I can't help but like the Sack Exchange and O'Brien/Toon/McNeil. I still remember when I was a tyke and the Jets destroyed Elway and the Broncos on a Sunday or Monday night at the Meadowlands in the mid-to-late 80s, and I was a huge Elway fan. I loved the Jets logo though.

In the end, it just reminds me of simpler days.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Usually I don't buy into the "you just like it just because it's old" argument but in this case...well, you all like it just because it's old. That Jets look reminds me of something a TV show would come up with if they needed to make a uniform for a fictional team. Bland and generic. There's a reason the Jets went back to the "Namath" look folks. The reason may not have been those 80's Jets uniforms but it's as good a reason as any. Those things were just green Giants (no pun intended) uniforms.

Aren't you the one that likes those old bland and generic Rams unis?

I am indeed. What's your point, that because I like the Rams uniforms I should like the Jets uniforms too? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

No point really. Just thought is was interesting that you liked the old Rams uni since they are just as bland and generic....

They really aren't. They don't steal another team's style. The 80s Jets uniforms did. They're basically the old Giants set in green and white, with a wordmark logo.

Making the green darker when they brought their older uni's back in '98 was one thing, but I liked the older logo better where it was pointed (rather than oval-shaped), and

sitting on around a 45° angle on the helmet unlike now where it's level.

Like the traditional gray facemask too if i the helmet is white. BTW, that '63 JET logo is cool, but they only wore it for 1 season.

flg3q5e3fhs25dtfmbike8cue.gif

Jets%2065-77%20DR%2030327.gif

Usually I don't buy into the "you just like it just because it's old" argument but in this case...well, you all like it just because it's old. That Jets look reminds me of something a TV show would come up with if they needed to make a uniform for a fictional team. Bland and generic. There's a reason the Jets went back to the "Namath" look folks. The reason may not have been those 80's Jets uniforms but it's as good a reason as any. Those things were just green Giants (no pun intended) uniforms.

I am indeed. What's your point, that because I like the Rams uniforms I should like the Jets uniforms too? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

No point really. Just thought is was interesting that you liked the old Rams uni since they are just as bland and generic....

Are you trying to be a tool?

Are you trying to be a tool?

Good Lord. It's not a big deal. Get over it.

Not a throwback but would really like the helmet to use this logo instead of the current, cluttered one.

944.gif

I was bored today and so I messed around with the above logo and came up with the following in Paintbrush:

jetsmodifiedalternatelogo.png

A combination of two eras, as well as a reminder of how to back to NYC from the Meadowlands.

I'm convinced that the Jets in a green helmet is the way God intended it to be.

But what color facemask did He intend for them to use?

Black or white, of course

It's rather customary to indicate when you're altering another person's quoted post....

I noticed it right away. I laughed (a little). It ain't no thang.

Not a throwback but would really like the helmet to use this logo instead of the current, cluttered one.

944.gif

I've long thought that would be brilliant with their current uniforms. The helmet logo is the only thing I don't love about their look, and that alt is brilliant.

They should absolutely build their identity around that logo. They don't need a mascot gimmick - they play in effing New York. The fact that it doesn't have the team name or silly imagery on it just makes it way more versatile. I'm not really a Jets fan (but I am a Rex Ryan fan so I'm a Jets fan by default) and I don't really wear sports team gear, but I'd buy a shirt or something that just had that on it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Jets concept helmet - acquired from sources that were close to the NFL or at the NFL:

BB262.jpg

I can't remember the Jets ever wearing this helmet, though I remember the white version very clearly. Was this helmet only used for a game, or was it used for more than just that?

I think I might've seen footage of those kind of helmets in Full Color Football, but the footage was rather grainy in the clip and they could've seen dressed in their Titans' uniforms at the time.

Jets concept helmet - acquired from sources that were close to the NFL or at the NFL:

BB262.jpg

I can't remember the Jets ever wearing this helmet, though I remember the white version very clearly. Was this helmet only used for a game, or was it used for more than just that?

I think I might've seen footage of those kind of helmets in Full Color Football, but the footage was rather grainy in the clip and they could've seen dressed in their Titans' uniforms at the time.

It's a CONCEPT helmet--that means it was developed just to see what it would look like, and hasn't ever been used or even mass-produced.

So of course you don't remember them wearing it, they never did. Nor, by the way, did they use a white version at any point.

This is excellent news! I was so sick of their early 60s Titans set. I'm not a huge fan of throwback uniforms in general, but if you're gonna do it, do it right. (ala Tampa Bay)

This. I thought I was one of the only ones here that doesn't like throwbacks. You gotta stick with one identity. Although, fauxback sets are fine. As long as your entire set is fauxback.

25yzwqg.png

BB262.jpg

It's a CONCEPT helmet--that means it was developed just to see what it would look like, and hasn't ever been used or even mass-produced.

So of course you don't remember them wearing it, they never did. Nor, by the way, did they use a white version at any point.

The Jets did wear a white helmet with a green jet in the 60s, did they not?

And that concept helmet has a strong Miami Sharks vibe, IMO.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived