Jets Considering New Throwback

Brian E

Jets concept helmet - acquired from sources that were close to the NFL or at the NFL:

BB262.jpg

I can't remember the Jets ever wearing this helmet, though I remember the white version very clearly. Was this helmet only used for a game, or was it used for more than just that?

I think I might've seen footage of those kind of helmets in Full Color Football, but the footage was rather grainy in the clip and they could've seen dressed in their Titans' uniforms at the time.

It's a CONCEPT helmet--that means it was developed just to see what it would look like, and hasn't ever been used or even mass-produced.

So of course you don't remember them wearing it, they never did. Nor, by the way, did they use a white version at any point.

The Jets did wear a white helmet with a green jet in the 60s, did they not?

Yes they did.

First_logo_Jets_Gallery.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And that concept helmet has a strong Miami Sharks vibe, IMO.

Yes (the pic from the post just above) .......... Only for 1 season, 1963

They also had a toy JET on the sidelines at Shea Stadium that year that read 'GO JETS' !!

This was all shown in the HBO 5-part special about the AFL which was shown last year. T'was an excellent series.

jetsplane4.jpg

Jets concept helmet - acquired from sources that were close to the NFL or at the NFL:

BB262.jpg

I can't remember the Jets ever wearing this helmet, though I remember the white version very clearly. Was this helmet only used for a game, or was it used for more than just that?

I think I might've seen footage of those kind of helmets in Full Color Football, but the footage was rather grainy in the clip and they could've seen dressed in their Titans' uniforms at the time.

It's a CONCEPT helmet--that means it was developed just to see what it would look like, and hasn't ever been used or even mass-produced.

So of course you don't remember them wearing it, they never did. Nor, by the way, did they use a white version at any point.

Wow, way to make yourself look like an a**. I was making a comment about the helmets, and there's been a bunch of unused helmets that have been manufactured before and had their pictures taken to make it look like the team once used it. And by the way they used the white green-jet helmets back in the 1963 AFL Season, fyi.

It seems Art's already mentioned that though.

And that concept helmet has a strong Miami Sharks vibe, IMO.

Yes (the pic from the post just above) .......... Only for 1 season, 1963

They also had a toy JET on the sidelines at Shea Stadium that year that read 'GO JETS' !!

This was all shown in the HBO 5-part special about the AFL which was shown last year. T'was an excellent series.

jetsplane4.jpg

Just a few facts...The logo is updated and modernized on the version you posted. The '63 Jet was a little more "fish like". The plane in the modernized version, that is used on merch today, is based off a 747...which didn't exist until 1969.

They could take the Jets Nike Pro Combat concept, make the black dark green, and throw that helmet on it, and it would actually look pretty sweet:

5272582287_7a5087940d.jpg

Or what they could do is, go with the '63 Jet uniform, but instead of going with Kelly Green and White, go with a Kelly Green and off white...kinda like the baseball teams have been doing with their throwbacks. Check out this Super Bowl III helmet for the color:

JETSsbIII%20(3).jpg

70389454.png

Yeah the white one was great, since it made the bull look like two separate pieces instead of a single decal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm calling bull- :censored: on these alleged "concept" helmets that were acquired from either NFL properties or "someone close to the NFL." That Texans decal is way too big and it's almost on top of the helmet. Wouldn't NFL Properties do a better job with the decal? The Falcons helmet looks like something a high school team wears not to mention it's an Adams helmet. Isn't Riddell is the "official" helmet of the NFL? Why would the NFL use an Adams helmet for a concept?

BB52Big.jpg

The Falcons helmet looks like something a high school team wears not to mention it's an Adams helmet. Isn't Riddell is the "official" helmet of the NFL? Why would the NFL use an Adams helmet for a concept?

The Falcons helmet in that picture is a custom mini helmet, probably not the exact helmet in the NFL office.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The Falcons helmet looks like something a high school team wears not to mention it's an Adams helmet. Isn't Riddell is the "official" helmet of the NFL? Why would the NFL use an Adams helmet for a concept?

The Falcons helmet in that picture is a custom mini helmet, probably not the exact helmet in the NFL office.

I'm still calling bull- :censored:.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm calling bull- :censored: on these alleged "concept" helmets that were acquired from either NFL properties or "someone close to the NFL." That Texans decal is way too big and it's almost on top of the helmet. Wouldn't NFL Properties do a better job with the decal? The Falcons helmet looks like something a high school team wears not to mention it's an Adams helmet. Isn't Riddell is the "official" helmet of the NFL? Why would the NFL use an Adams helmet for a concept?

Yeah, I'm not saying I know anything for sure, but IIRC Panthers is the guy who once posted about two dozen pants concepts saying that half of all NFL teams have a bunch of wierd pants combos just gathering dust in the equipment room somewhere. Now, I can't bet my life that they don't, and maybe Panthers has some awesome NFL conections, but if he does they sure are supplying him with some crappy samples.

Yeah, I'm not saying I know anything for sure, but IIRC Panthers is the guy who once posted about two dozen pants concepts saying that half of all NFL teams have a bunch of wierd pants combos just gathering dust in the equipment room somewhere. Now, I can't bet my life that they don't, and maybe Panthers has some awesome NFL conections, but if he does they sure are supplying him with some crappy samples.

IIRC, there was a thread where he was very wrong about something (Panthers wearing black pants or something?), but if my memory serves, there's been plenty of other threads where he's posted prototypes and rejects that were validated to be legit. It's entirely possible that the Texans helmet had the decal misapplied, and that could have been a "rejected reject" if you know what I mean. Why would someone go through the trouble to make those for themselves?

As for the "pants just sitting around", we've seen this before when teams just magically bust out pants that nobody (sometimes even Pantone) knew existed, and we've seen where teams had pants in the style guide (teal Jaguars) that never saw the light of day, so it's not implausible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is that "concept" Jets helmet dark green or black?

Another thing though not throwback-related, but I really think that the Jets could pull off a double-green (hunter, Kelly) look, or possibly a green/black look, if they don't let the black consume their look.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

IIRC, there was a thread where he was very wrong about something (Panthers wearing black pants or something?), but if my memory serves, there's been plenty of other threads where he's posted prototypes and rejects that were validated to be legit. It's entirely possible that the Texans helmet had the decal misapplied, and that could have been a "rejected reject" if you know what I mean. Why would someone go through the trouble to make those for themselves?

As for the "pants just sitting around", we've seen this before when teams just magically bust out pants that nobody (sometimes even Pantone) knew existed, and we've seen where teams had pants in the style guide (teal Jaguars) that never saw the light of day, so it's not implausible.

Possible yes, but how probable? I'm not saying those prototypes don't exist. I'm saying I don't believe that he has access to them so he made his own mock ups. I just find it hard to believe that NFL Properties would be loose enough with these things that he was not only able to get his hands on one, he got enough of them to put together a collection. Throw in a red helmet that looks like it came from Walmart with a decal that is three sizes to big and looks like it was applied by short bus workers and I think it all adds up to bull- :censored:.

Considering the nature of this place, does it really seem that far fetched that someone would make their own helmets? The only thing about it that would surprise me would be if he's the only person here who's ever done it.

BB52Big.jpg

Is that "concept" Jets helmet dark green or black?

Another thing though not throwback-related, but I really think that the Jets could pull off a double-green (hunter, Kelly) look, or possibly a green/black look, if they don't let the black consume their look.

The Jets had green and black together in their previous jersey set, and it looked fantastic. However, they used kelly green at the time. Black would look awful with their current green, as their current green is too dark.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived