NFL's Captain's 'C'

cranium

Brees is one of the few guys it'll actually look good on since it matches the Saints' team colors.

They should just allow teams to design a C that fits their uniforms, and leave it at that. No gold stars, no standardized design, just something that fits every team.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

49ers' Frank Gore and Patrick Willis are team captains but neither of them had a patch on yesterday

...which probably means the NFL isn't forcing teams to wear captaincy patches, as has been rumored, and it's just more teams adopting them.

spacer.png

it's going to be interesting to see what they do for the Captains that make it to a 6th year, I would keep the 'C' gold and start the stars over but in a team color.

It will go from gold to platinum.

Isn't the C patch a Reebok thing? And so it ends this year anyway?

The 5th year badge looks ok on Brees, but Eli Manning was wearing one and it looked absolutely terrible.

Agreed. I'd rather have the 5th year 'C' match the team colors. Oh well, I bet the NFL phases them out in a year, or two. I had to explain to my wife what the whole thing meant yesterday. She thought it was totally dorky, but it should be noted that she likes the Bears' orange jersey and the Seahawks' neon jersey, so I take her uniform opinions with a fine grain of salt.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

it's going to be interesting to see what they do for the Captains that make it to a 6th year, I would keep the 'C' gold and start the stars over but in a team color.

What makes you think that?

What makes you think that?

I had always thought it was a design element of the uniform manufacturer. But a Google search turned up this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/02/AR2007100202457.html

Apparently, it's optional, and really only applies to teams that name season-long captains.

No, it's always been optional (the Packers only use it in the postseason, which is still way too often).

I don't think you can say it's a design element of Reebok - they had the contract for years before its introduction.

I wish you were right, and that was another benefit to Reebok losing the contract, but I don't see anything to support that.

Archived