2011 MLS Kits

AJM

I love the Toronto whatever-you-call-them's jersey, IF and only IF BMO would be stripped off the JERSEY.

(side note 1. Don't you think it is somewhat strange that the BANK OF MONTREAL sponsors a Toronto team? What happened to Toronto Dominon Bank [aka TD Bank]?}

People in this forum love and I mean love to argue for jersey sponsorship. I think it is a plague. Running billboards. We live in a different age and if that is your "big earner" - slapping some meaningless corporate giant's logo - who most people have no affiliation to, nor care about, then you shouldn't be in business in the first place.

(side note 2. If Virgin sponsored at team the you'd have the Virgins playing the Bimbos.)

Here's one for you. Why don't national team jerseys have corporate sponsors? We could have all the crooks from the past era - say Enron, Madoff Securities, etc. buy space on the US national team jersey, or how about the banks who helped start the financial crisis in the first place - Goldman, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and AIG (whoops - almost forgot - that one's been done already).

We can also have:

GM (remember they got bailed out too) on US jerseys

Bimbo on Mexico

Virgin on England

DB (the bank, not the bahn) on Germany's jersey

ING on Holland

Bank of Tokyo on Japan

Quantas on Australia

Oh, wait. I bet you folks wouldn't care for the national jersey being mucked up. So the difference is ........

Ah forget it. Enjoy your running billboards.

Wallabies%20On%20Field.jpg

Hi.

Go to bed, old man.

Is that real?

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mls-rumors.net/14719/2011/02/report-revs-boss-brian-biello-on-ne-revs-shirt-sponsorship-deal-dilemma/

Revs finally mention possibility of kit sponsor...long overdue for them. They should have had a sponsor by now.

Brian Bilello has made many mentions of possible kit sponsors in the past. I've actually had a good number of conversations directly with him about thisissue.

The problem is, as with most things under the Kraft Sports Regime, that they are content to wait out for a sweetheart deal while the rest of the world keeps moving on.

The Krafts (Bob & Jonathan) refuse to put themselves at risk nor are they willing to accept less than what they perceive is a good value. So the Revs are left without any sponsor money for the past 3 years while teams such as Columbus, Chivas USA and DC have been reaping some reward financially.

Then again, it's not like they could move merchandise anyway. Gillette Stadium and the internet remain the primary places to buy Revs gear in New England. (unless buying last years kits at TJ Maxx/Marshalls counts).

This also applies to a SSS and a possible rebrand or updated logo for the Revs.

SSS = soccer specific stadium?

Precisely. I knew that I should have elaborated on the spelling instead of going the lazy route.

(side note 1. Don't you think it is somewhat strange that the BANK OF MONTREAL sponsors a Toronto team? What happened to Toronto Dominon Bank [aka TD Bank]?}

That's like asking why is Bell Mobility the Whitecaps jersey sponsor when their headquarters are in Montreal or why Alaska Airlines are the Timbers jersey sponsor when their headquarters are in Seattle.

Toronto is the financial hub of Canada where a lot of big corporations have their main offices. BMO Bank has a one of their two corporate offices in Toronto. As for why they are on Toronto FC's tops, maybe because they offered the best deal for the club? Usually that's what happens in this situation.

I love the Toronto whatever-you-call-them's jersey, IF and only IF BMO would be stripped off the JERSEY.

People in this forum love and I mean love to argue for jersey sponsorship. I think it is a plague. Running billboards. We live in a different age and if that is your "big earner" - slapping some meaningless corporate giant's logo - who most people have no affiliation to, nor care about, then you shouldn't be in business in the first place.

(side note 2. If Virgin sponsored at team the you'd have the Virgins playing the Bimbos.)

Here's one for you. Why don't national team jerseys have corporate sponsors? We could have all the crooks from the past era - say Enron, Madoff Securities, etc. buy space on the US national team jersey, or how about the banks who helped start the financial crisis in the first place - Goldman, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan and AIG (whoops - almost forgot - that one's been done already).

We can also have:

Bimbo on Mexico

Virgin on England

ING on Holland

Bank of Tokyo on Japan

Quantas on Australia

Oh, wait. I bet you folks wouldn't care for the national jersey being mucked up. So the difference is ........

I'm tired of seeing the argument. It's been pointed out on these boards many times that there are less commercials run during a soccer game and this is a way to make up for that lost revenue. I'm not looking to re-start that argument I'm just saying this is the fact.

In all fairness to BMO they have poured tons of money into sponsoring grassroots level soccer in Canada. Also, the entire company changed their image from Bank of Montreal to BMO Financial in order to get away from that whole image of being associated with Montreal. Just like TD did when they stopped using Toronto Dominion as their commonly known name.

I assume way back in the day it made more sense for these banks to associate with their cities of origin, now it doesn't and they marketed to that. So, who cares?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

We can also have:

Bimbo on Mexico

Virgin on England

ING on Holland

Bank of Tokyo on Japan

Quantas on Australia

I'm tired of seeing the argument. It's been pointed out on these boards many times that there are less commercials run during a soccer game and this is a way to make up for that lost revenue. I'm not looking to re-start that argument I'm just saying this is the fact.

In all fairness to BMO they have poured tons of money into sponsoring grassroots level soccer in Canada. Also, the entire company changed their image from Bank of Montreal to BMO Financial in order to get away from that whole image of being associated with Montreal. Just like TD did when they stopped using Toronto Dominion as their commonly known name.

I assume way back in the day it made more sense for these banks to associate with their cities of origin, now it doesn't and they marketed to that. So, who cares?

Pay no attention to Panthers. His blood just gets angered up when he sees the kids these days listening to their devil music or wearing sponsors on their soccer kits.

We can also have:

Bimbo on Mexico

Virgin on England

ING on Holland

Bank of Tokyo on Japan

Quantas on Australia

Pay no attention to Panthers. His blood just gets angered up when he sees the kids these days listing to their devil music or wearing sponsors on their soccer kits.

And listening to Dan Folgerburg while playing Pac Man video games!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

"I'm tired of seeing the argument. It's been pointed out on these boards many times that there are less commercials run during a soccer game and this is a way to make up for that lost revenue. I'm not looking to re-start that argument I'm just saying this is the fact."

Doesn't have to be a fact, jack. There are other ways to make money without prostituting yourself. Hey why not get a different sponsor for each jersey? Think of it. You could create a real bidding war for a star player's jersey. Thank should ring the old register, right? Think of it . . . you could have Citi, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan all on the field at the same time! That might double revenues right there!

Again, if that's the plan, and the only way you can make significant cash - then get out of the business. I do remember Jerry Jones signing unique agreements with Nike and Pepsi that did not interfere with the Cowboys brand but slightly infringed upon the NFL. Last I recall I did not see any Pepsi logos on a 'Boys game-worn jersey or helmet.

"In all fairness to BMO they have poured tons of money into sponsoring grassroots level soccer in Canada."

Soccer has been around just as long or longer than BMO and TD, so the grassroots argument doesn't hold water. That's like saying the TiCats or Als need someone to help sponsor "grassroots football". Name the stadium. Fine. Get off the jersey. Does the average fan or person in the street know what or who BMO or TD was, or are?

Hey Ice - I doubt this but for one second can you not be an a--h---?

"I'm tired of seeing the argument. It's been pointed out on these boards many times that there are less commercials run during a soccer game and this is a way to make up for that lost revenue. I'm not looking to re-start that argument I'm just saying this is the fact."

Doesn't have to be a fact, jack. There are other ways to make money without prostituting yourself. Hey why not get a different sponsor for each jersey? Think of it. You could create a real bidding war for a star player's jersey. Thank should ring the old register, right? Think of it . . . you could have Citi, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan all on the field at the same time! That might double revenues right there!

Again, if that's the plan, and the only way you can make significant cash - then get out of the business. I do remember Jerry Jones signing unique agreements with Nike and Pepsi that did not interfere with the Cowboys brand but slightly infringed upon the NFL. Last I recall I did not see any Pepsi logos on a 'Boys game-worn jersey or helmet.

"In all fairness to BMO they have poured tons of money into sponsoring grassroots level soccer in Canada."

Soccer has been around just as long or longer than BMO and TD, so the grassroots argument doesn't hold water. That's like saying the TiCats or Als need someone to help sponsor "grassroots football". Name the stadium. Fine. Get off the jersey. Does the average fan or person in the street know what or who BMO or TD was, or are?

So let me know what is fine and what is unacceptable? Naming rights on a public building is OK, but a kit sponsor is not? Even on the web, I have not seen "company X" High School, but I have seen advertisements on a school's roof.

The Cowboys/Pepsi contract in 1995 was only a case in that a stadium owner/operator (here Jerry Jones) can make "pouring rights" with any company, not just who the league deems as their "official" product. It was more of an issue with NFL Properties, especially since it was looked as a way to earn extra income apart from the CBA and the owner's Trust Agreement at that time which went through 2003.

His separate Nike contract was similar as it violated the NFL Properties Trust Agreement at that time.

Jerry also promised to build a theme park on the Texas Stadium property, but that did not occur. But 15 years later, it appears that the Dolphins will.

If you have this many "beefs", please go to Sports In General and start a thread on your sports hang-ups. just be prepared to hear from the community.

There is a "seasonal" poster here, wdm1219inpenna, who starts a thread, states his case and will stay around a week to defend it, then won't come back for 6-8 weeks. If he can do it, you can too.

What gets me about BIMBO is that they own Hostess and Wonder Bread. Why couldn't Hostess or Wonder be the sponsor brand?

Bingo. Most people in the US have no idea what Bimbo is or what they sell. Nor do we care since they don't sell anything under the Bimbo brand in the US. Really amateurish mistake on their part actually.

NOT TRUE! Bimbo and Hostess are two sepearte, rival companies...

http://www.pressherald.com/business/court-stops-bimbo-bakeries-vp-from-moving-to-rival-hostess_2010-07-30.html

So because they didn't sponsor grassroots soccer in the past that negates the fact that they now do?

Last time I checked, the Argos themselves actually go give clinics at local high school, so yes they should. It's in their best interests to develop youth sports, because those kids are the future of the sport.

I don't get what your trying to say. And that's not me trying to be a jerk, that's me actually trying to understand.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

To you? Not until you stop clogging EVERY SINGLE MLS KIT THREAD with the same rambling argument. We're not able to discuss the merits of of the kit designs because every time a team releases a new kit you feel the need to ramble on and on about how you don't like shirt sponsors. We get it, you don't like them. They're here to stay, however. So kindly accept that fact and stop posting so we can get back to discussing the actual designs of the new round of MLS kits.

I guess you don't pay attention to Ireland soccer too much.

6a661a91bc6bfee0030514941dae.jpg

The reason there are sponsors on the jerseys is simple. Professional sports are a business. As much as people want to try to fight it, sports are and have always been a business. People have these sentimental feelings towards sports that make them think they are somehow apart of the team/sport, but at the end of the day, the MLS is no different than McDonalds.

jNTsTyQ.png

To you? Not until you stop clogging EVERY SINGLE MLS KIT THREAD with the same rambling argument. We're not able to discuss the merits of of the kit designs because every time a team releases a new kit you feel the need to ramble on and on about how you don't like shirt sponsors. We get it, you don't like them. They're here to stay, however. So kindly accept that fact and stop posting so we can get back to discussing the actual designs of the new round of MLS kits.

What he said. (Yes, I just agreed with Ice Cap. ;) )

To quote

: "Who cares? Evil bores me. It's one note; it doesn't sing."

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

What he said. (Yes, I just agreed with Ice Cap. ;) )

Well it's an isolated incident, I wouldn't read to much into it....

To quote
: "Who cares? Evil bores me. It's one note; it doesn't sing."

...wait. The second theatrical rebuff to Panthers of the thread? Good Lord....

Here here.

Does the average fan or person in the street know what or who BMO or TD was, or are?

I would say the average Canadian knows what BMO and TD Canada Trust are, just like the average American knows what Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase are.

Archived