2011 MLS Kits

AJM

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please. I am begging the MLS NO SPONSORS ON JERSEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General question. Are they the Seattle XBOX's or the Seattle Sounders? Are they the Portland Alaska Airlines or the Portland Timbers?

Also.......

Re: Philly Union. I bet few people on this site who live outside urban centers with Hispanic populations knew who or what Bimbo was. I bet there are plenty of New Yorkers who didn't know who or what Bimbo was. Would you buy a jersey, even if it was your favorite team, with a rather large corporate logo on it from a company you either a. didn't like or b. knew nothing about? (Folks, does AIG ring a bell? Does the name Cassano ring a bell? If not please read Matt Taibi's excellent article on the Rolling Stone website regarding AIG).

Enjoy your running billboards. I'm sure there will be major excitement when the Portland Alaska Airlines take on the Philadelphia Bimbos.

General question. Are they the Seattle XBOX's or the Seattle Sounders? Are they the Portland Alaska Airlines or the Portland Timbers?

Also.......

Re: Philly Union. I bet few people on this site who live outside urban centers with Hispanic populations knew who or what Bimbo was. I bet there are plenty of New Yorkers who didn't know who or what Bimbo was. Would you buy a jersey, even if it was your favorite team, with a rather large corporate logo on it from a company you either a. didn't like or b. knew nothing about? (Folks, does AIG ring a bell? Does the name Cassano ring a bell? If not please read Matt Taibi's excellent article on the Rolling Stone website regarding AIG).

Enjoy your running billboards. I'm sure there will be major excitement when the Portland Alaska Airlines take on the Philadelphia Bimbos.

I personally don't care. It's the team I'm buying the uniform because of, not the sponsor. I have a Bayern Munich uniform with T-Mobile on the front, but I have Verizon as my carrier. It's the team I care about, if they have a sponsor on the uniform I couldn't care less. It's part of the culture as far as I'm concerned.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Also.......

Welcome to the world of soccer. It's just business.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Also.......

I wish the sponsors weren't there either, but if it's going to be done, the soccer way (or at least, MLS, EPL, and I guess most major soccer) is better than what, say, the Arena Football League did with patches. The patches just look tacky no matter what and also made the jerseys overly busy. Whereas in soccer, some sponsors actually look good (Carlsberg) though on rare occasions where they look as horrific as the Union's Bimbo sponsorship.

Also, I had no idea what Bimbo was until I read this thread. Always wondered after the Mexican jerseys I'd seen.

New Sporting Kansas City kits. Only the jerseys have been revealed. My guess is that closer to the season they will announce a jersey sponsor, stadium naming rights sponsor and reveal the full kits.

Primary

sporting-kansas-city-home1.jpg

Secondary

sporting-kansas-city-away1.jpg

Here's a link that explains the new brand

http://www.insightkc.com/sportingbrand/index.html

Here's the detail on the star:

1097219703_qSEGH-L.jpg

I am conflicted about the appropriate logo usage in which the Wizards Sporting Kansas City have chosen to represent their 2000 MLS Cup victory, as the image within the star incorrectly portrays the trophy they won that season; however, it's a more suitable image than having a trophy mimicking male genitalia on their kits.

Trust me, the fans noticed and commented. I think it's also better to have this version. It's what thr trophy looks like now, so why not?

I'm not sure if all the teams with stars have this, but I thought it was worth noting.

Also.......

In North America we're not used to this, in Europe they are.

I'm fine with it. In Fact I own 5 TFC jerseys with the BMO logo as well as 2 PSV Eindhoven jerseys with the Phillips logo. I don't care. It's money in my team's pocket.

But I do understand this point. I really dislike seeing the Rona patches on the CFL jerseys and when watching the Spengler Cup I think "these jerseys are so ugly!!". So, I guess it's just all in the eye of the beholder.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

New Sporting Kansas City kits. Only the jerseys have been revealed. My guess is that closer to the season they will announce a jersey sponsor, stadium naming rights sponsor and reveal the full kits.

Primary

Secondary

1097219703_qSEGH-L.jpg

In addition, the light blue jersey (Sporting Blue) has a dash line that extends below the badge at the center point, representing the state line that runs through Kansas City.

The are working on a kit sponsorship deal, hopefully something will be announced soon. In addition, they are working on naming rights for the new stadium.

Stadium Webcam:

http://webcams.insightkc.com/kcwizards/

Here you can see the dash line on the sporting blue and ligature line on the dark indigo jerseys. Both representing the KS/MO state line.

In an interview on Kansas City Public Television last night, Team President Rob Heinemann indicated a jersey sponsor and stadium naming rights sponsor are in the works.

168284_499388997041_45625502041_5951287_5620054_n.jpg

167607_499389247041_45625502041_5951289_4676354_n.jpg

Also.......

I wish the sponsors weren't there either, but if it's going to be done, the soccer way (or at least, MLS, EPL, and I guess most major soccer) is better than what, say, the Arena Football League did with patches. The patches just look tacky no matter what and also made the jerseys overly busy. Whereas in soccer, some sponsors actually look good (Carlsberg) though on rare occasions where they look as horrific as the Union's Bimbo sponsorship.

Also, I had no idea what Bimbo was until I read this thread. Always wondered after the Mexican jerseys I'd seen.

Its part of soccer and it's only one central sponsor logo on the kit. It could be a lot worse...

eurojersey.jpg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I think what a few people are not picking up is that this is a revenue stream for a sport that isn't really that popular among the big 4 in North America. Soccer is an up and coming game in the US since the 1994 World Cup and it is progressing nicely but it is not even close to the money generating levels that the other major sports are at. Hence the need for jersey sponsorship. The NHL is even doing this now with team practice jerseys as well as the WNBA teams. (I know the Red Wings are doing this although I can't remember the sponsor) Sport is a business now and the smaller sports will look for a nice steady stream of money to keep themselves going. If jersey sponsors are the answer then by all means go for it. I really don't mind it on soccer jerseys as they have always been a regular part when seeing games from Europe. It kind of makes the MLS teams look a bit more professional in regards to other teams from around the world.

2 PSV Eindhoven jerseys with the Phillips logo.

Phillips is the founder and owner of PSV :)

Sponsors on jersey is normal thing in football (yeah football not soccer). This is good for club, because they have money from that ;) What about jersey, I think (I'm sure for 99%) every club who change jersey before 2010 season have it in this season also. Jersey before 2009 was changed (not many teams) ;)

4r2eer.png

2 PSV Eindhoven jerseys with the Phillips logo.

Phillips is the founder and owner of PSV :)

Sponsors on jersey is normal thing in football (yeah football not soccer). This is good for club, because they have money from that ;) What about jersey, I think (I'm sure for 99%) every club who change jersey before 2010 season have it in this season also. Jersey before 2009 was changed (not many teams) ;)

Actually, PSV was founded by people who worked for Phillips as a "works team" (aka a rec or semi pro team sponsored by their company). Hence their nickname, Boeren, which actually translates to "peasants".

But yeah, your right, Phillips owns them now.

The real point I was trying to make is that I could never picture the famous white and red stripes without the black Phillips logo on the front.h

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Primary

Secondary

1097219703_qSEGH-L.jpg

I am conflicted about the appropriate logo usage in which the Wizards Sporting Kansas City have chosen to represent their 2000 MLS Cup victory, as the image within the star incorrectly portrays the trophy they won that season; however, it's a more suitable image than having a trophy mimicking male genitalia on their kits.

Trust me, the fans noticed and commented. I think it's also better to have this version. It's what thr trophy looks like now, so why not?

I'm not sure if all the teams with stars have this, but I thought it was worth noting.

Out of curiosity, what were some of the fans comments regarding the details on the star?

Archived