New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

What the Marlins SHOULD have done was ask the paying fans what they wanted...not a corporate art company that probably is more into "art" and being "artists" than the sport itself. This new look is proof of this.

Are there that many paying fans to warrant a discussion group for the rebranding of this franchise?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the Marlins SHOULD have done was ask the paying fans what they wanted...not a corporate art company that probably is more into "art" and being "artists" than the sport itself. This new look is proof of this.

Are there that many paying fans to warrant a discussion group for the rebranding of this franchise?

Really. They already "have" the few fans that they have now. They clearly needed to do something to reach out to those who currently aren't their fans. That's just the counter-intuitive way that business works sometimes. In some cases, someone just has a "vision" and takes a shot. Sometimes it works spectacularly. Other times... well...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

lol at the idea that a major league team that struggles to draw 2,000 a night has a mandate to do right by its paying customers.

So a logo and design that looks like it came out of the costume closet of 'Saved by the Bell' is better? At least get the opinion of sports fans before letting a designer take the cute art approach.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Can't speak for the uniforms, but there are sports fans here who like the new cap logo.

It's always foolish to claim the voice of an entire group, particularly one as large and diverse as "sports fans."

I'll take your comment as that you haven't paid much attention to the local, national, and global polls of their new logo then. Those polls are your so-called "voice".

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Can't speak for the uniforms, but there are sports fans here who like the new cap logo.

It's always foolish to claim the voice of an entire group, particularly one as large and diverse as "sports fans."

I'll take your comment as that you haven't paid much attention to the local, national, and global polls of their new logo then. Those polls are your so-called "voice".

[citation needed]

I don't know about everyone else, but I think those colors look fantastic on black. It has a VERY "nightclub" feel to it, while also having a sunset-on-the-ocean vibe to it. The fact it has both effects (which fit well with Miami) is very clever to me.

This identity is slowly, but surely, growing on me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think those colors look fantastic on black. It has a VERY "nightclub" feel to it, while also having a sunset-on-the-ocean vibe to it. The fact it has both effects (which fit well with Miami) is very clever to me.

This identity is slowly, but surely, growing on me.

I kind of agree. It's different, but different doesn't always have to be scary. Despite 2 WS Titles, the Marlins are basically getting a fresh start with this new stadium. This is a new era, so theyre doing something out of the box. I don't love it, but I can see its potential. Better than blue on blue. THe colors if done right have a chance to really jump. We shall see.

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

lol at the idea that a major league team that struggles to draw 2,000 a night has a mandate to do right by its paying customers.

So a logo and design that looks like it came out of the costume closet of 'Saved by the Bell' is better?

Yes. I like it much better than their White Sox uniforms. Now they might look like a team from Miami.

At least get the opinion of sports fans before letting a designer take the cute art approach.

Maybe they did! How do you know? Sports fans here like it. What does "sports fan" mean, anyway?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Am I the only one that thinks there's not enough "Marlin" in the new logo? I mean honestly, if no one had seen their previous logo, nobody would know that that's supposed to be a Marlin. I think they should've made the Marlin in much more detail, or left the M alone completely. The M alone looks pretty nice by itself.

Anyone have any idea on a hat color? I'm not digging black hats with that logo on it... It might look good on a blue hat, or actually, a white hat would be pretty cool and original.

dbacksbannersigs.png

So a logo and design that looks like it came out of the costume closet of 'Saved by the Bell' is better?

Yes. I like it much better than their White Sox uniforms. Now they might look like a team from Miami.

There are a few bright colors in this, but you and I both know how this is going to go down. They already have a black primary cap and a black alternate jersey. The orange cap will be worn probably 5 times the first season and then the players will stop wearing it. The black jersey will be worn half the time because the players think black is cool, and also want to reduce the amount of bright colors they're wearing. Within two years this will be their current identity with a worse logo and orange/blue/yellow taking the place of silver on their numbers. Incorporating black doomed this set to be only slightly different than what other teams wear.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That uniform script mock-up is pretty intriguing. The Gray lettering at home would surprise me, but what do I know? The road jersey option definitely looks the best to me, though on all I'd shockingly say "Lose the marlin." But that makes no sense in terms of the baseball identity, meaning they've succeeded in making something 'interesting' but not something that really sells "Miami Marlins" IMO. Those scripts have definitely softened the blow, though. I could see this being made, before I couldn't picture it on a baseball field.

Am I the only one that thinks there's not enough "Marlin" in the new logo? I mean honestly, if no one had seen their previous logo, nobody would know that that's supposed to be a Marlin. I think they should've made the Marlin in much more detail, or left the M alone completely. The M alone looks pretty nice by itself.

Anyone have any idea on a hat color? I'm not digging black hats with that logo on it... It might look good on a blue hat, or actually, a white hat would be pretty cool and original.

Yellow. Mostly because it'll sell ridiculously well.

Really. They already "have" the few fans that they have now. They clearly needed to do something to reach out to those who currently aren't their fans. That's just the counter-intuitive way that business works sometimes. In some cases, someone just has a "vision" and takes a shot. Sometimes it works spectacularly. Other times... well...

They may already "have" the current fans, but pissing off your most loyal customers at the expense of trying something totally off the wall is not a good idea either.

In the local Sun-Sentinel their poll of 1615(as of now) people shows 72% voting for "It's garish and tough to look at." which replaced the "I hate it" option that was originally there. They also reported "Early returns on Sports Biz with Darren Rovell on CNBC, 88.4% say it?s either bad (38%) or horrendous (50.4%). Only 1% say it?s great." If they did any market research they must've asked the Yankees, Braves, Mets, Phillies etc. fans in the area, but I doubt even they would suggest something so awful. I know a lot of transplant fans of out of town teams, and every time I ever bring up that the Marlins are changing colors the response is always "Why? It's so perfect now."

The key to building a solid fanbase down here is lasting long enough to build a few generations of true local fans. Only the Dolphins have been around to really do that. It certainly doesn't speed up the process when you take the first 2 decades of tradition, and a look that Marlins fans overwhelmingly loved, and throw it out the window.

I totally agree with your assessment of the logo. As for hat colors, I would go with orange, maybe a front panel would work well.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

Archived