New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

I could see the Marlins in a darker teal like the Jaguars and Sharks use. That would keep the teal going without being too garish to be a base color.

The red/yellow/blue/green that the stadium uses could be an interesting color scheme too. Big burst of color.

Marlins president David Samson was on the Dan LeBatard show yesterday (like he is every Wednesday) and a caller asked him to keep teal as a color because "fans love it." Samson's response: "We'll announce the colors on 11/11/11, and I can promise you the colors will be very 'Florida.' And judging by our merchandise sales, teal isn't that popular." Teal is out, end of story.

That's such a shame. Obviously you can't force people to buy certain colors of merchandise, but if I were a Marlins fan I would be rocking teal like crazy. I don't understand why it's not selling.

Because Miami (and most of FL) is filled with fair-weather fans. The Heat is a perfect example of this. Same applies to the Bucs. They don't acknowledge their teams unless they are winning.

Or because adults look like douchebags "rocking" teal.

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather the team use teal as their primary color. I think it's very appropriate. But as a grown man, I would never actually wear bright teal. Maybe black with a logo that had some teal in it, but it's just not a very flattering color on most men.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm a non-douche adult and I would wear a teal Marlins jersey without hesitation. What you wear has a lot less to do with being a douche than how you act.

I said teal makes adults look like douches. It doesn't automatically make you one. You can look totally normal and still be a total douche. Just look at Donovan McNabb.

I just don't think it's a very flattering color. It's a trendy '90s color that looks better when worn by little kids than by mature adults. That being said, I think it's a fine color for a sports team in Florida.

Shyte...I can rock their teal ballcap all day long! Zero douchbagery here. :P

Lids

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather the team use teal as their primary color. I think it's very appropriate. But as a grown man, I would never actually wear bright teal. Maybe black with a logo that had some teal in it, but it's just not a very flattering color on most men.

Do you go around town wearing a bright red cap? What is the difference? This comes up in relation to teams bastardizing their colors to sell more merchandise, but I think it is stupid for actual fans (and not people who buy random hats because they look good) to say they won't wear team merchandise because it is a color which isn't manly, tight, fresh, or whatever other phrase they are using. At this point, I think teal doesn't sell because 1) the Marlins have so thoroughly relegated teal that fans barely associate it with the team, 2)Nobody is buying much merchandise to begin with, and 3)I imagine there is almost no teal merchandise for sale.

If the Marlins still used teal and I were a Marlins fan, I would wear a teal cap around town. It's a damn baseball cap. You don't look any more silly wearing a teal baseball cap than a black one. Same with a t-shirt. Most people aren't wearing caps and t-shirts to work, yet we act as if all people refuse to wear team colors other than navy and black just because they are bright or don't go with jeans or something. I don't think teal is any less flattering on a t-shirt than black is.

No I don't wear bright red caps... or any caps for that matter. I don't wear much team gear in general anyway though. The difference between teal and black is that the teal draws much more attention to the wearer. Whether this is good or not is a matter of opinion. Let me take a step back - I'm referring to teal in terms of items like graphic Ts, sweatshirts, caps, jackets, etc. I don't think twice when I see someone in a teal polo shirt or wearing a teal tie. There's just something about those other items that when in teal just looks extremely tacky to me. Just opinion.

People tend to buy most of their fan gear to wear around in white, athletic gray or black anyway, whether or not the colors are kinda "weird". However this does not mean the team needs to ditch the color(s) altogether. Plenty of people would buy stuff in the team color to wear to games, as well as occasionally elsewhere. The Cardinals are a red team, but I don't really wear that many red shirts, or hats, around. I actually wear a lot of navy and then either white or gray, as far as my team shirts goes. This doesn't mean I want the Cardinals to reduce the amount of red in their identity or move to a more dominant navy team. And why would the Marlins think an athletic gray t-shirt means gray would be better in their identity? EVERY team in every sport sells athletic gray shirts. It's like the universally neutral color for sports team gear. The Marlins can easily be a teal team and make it work merchandisewise.

I agree with you - I even said that I think they should be a teal team. My entire argument is against whoever (can't even remember anymore) said that teal-colored gear doesn't sell because the fans are fair weather. I just don't think that's necessarily the reason that teal-colored gear isn't a big seller.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Do you go around town wearing a bright red cap? What is the difference? This comes up in relation to teams bastardizing their colors to sell more merchandise, but I think it is stupid for actual fans (and not people who buy random hats because they look good) to say they won't wear team merchandise because it is a color which isn't manly, tight, fresh, or whatever other phrase they are using. At this point, I think teal doesn't sell because 1) the Marlins have so thoroughly relegated teal that fans barely associate it with the team, 2)Nobody is buying much merchandise to begin with, and 3)I imagine there is almost no teal merchandise for sale.

If the Marlins still used teal and I were a Marlins fan, I would wear a teal cap around town. It's a damn baseball cap. You don't look any more silly wearing a teal baseball cap than a black one. Same with a t-shirt. Most people aren't wearing caps and t-shirts to work, yet we act as if all people refuse to wear team colors other than navy and black just because they are bright or don't go with jeans or something. I don't think teal is any less flattering on a t-shirt than black is.

No I don't wear bright red caps... or any caps for that matter. I don't wear much team gear in general anyway though. The difference between teal and black is that the teal draws much more attention to the wearer. Whether this is good or not is a matter of opinion. Let me take a step back - I'm referring to teal in terms of items like graphic Ts, sweatshirts, caps, jackets, etc. I don't think twice when I see someone in a teal polo shirt or wearing a teal tie. There's just something about those other items that when in teal just looks extremely tacky to me. Just opinion.

People tend to buy most of their fan gear to wear around in white, athletic gray or black anyway, whether or not the colors are kinda "weird". However this does not mean the team needs to ditch the color(s) altogether. Plenty of people would buy stuff in the team color to wear to games, as well as occasionally elsewhere. The Cardinals are a red team, but I don't really wear that many red shirts, or hats, around. I actually wear a lot of navy and then either white or gray, as far as my team shirts goes. This doesn't mean I want the Cardinals to reduce the amount of red in their identity or move to a more dominant navy team. And why would the Marlins think an athletic gray t-shirt means gray would be better in their identity? EVERY team in every sport sells athletic gray shirts. It's like the universally neutral color for sports team gear. The Marlins can easily be a teal team and make it work merchandisewise.

I agree with you - I even said that I think they should be a teal team. My entire argument is against whoever (can't even remember anymore) said that teal-colored gear doesn't sell because the fans are fair weather. I just don't think that's necessarily the reason that teal-colored gear isn't a big seller.

When it comes to FL teams, it isn't the colors, its the lack of fan support when their team struggles. Hell, even when they are good...they don't sell well (i.e. Rays). Just wait until everyone jumps off of the Heat bandwagon (again).

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I was doing a Google search and came across this:

fittedhawaii_custom712.jpg

from http://www.marlinsdiehards.com/2009/06/miami-marlins-uniform-design-idea.html

While doing a Google image search for a Marlins-Orioles photo for a previous post, I stumbled across this photo of a Marlins hat made by Fitted Hawaii on the Strictly Fitteds blog. The hat, it appears, is no longer for sale on Fitted Hawaii's site (unfortunately), but it offers an interesting possibility for the Marlins' new uniforms when the team begins play in their new stadium (whereupon they will be known as the Miami Marlins).

The hat uses the template for the current batting-practice cap, but instead of the teal, silver, and black color scheme used now, this hat uses an orange and green scheme that is used by the University of Miami's athletic program. I always liked the orange and green combination (not just because I'm a fan of the U). As far as I can tell, Miami and Florida A&M University are the only major athletic teams to use the combination. The Marlins could make an interesting statement with these colors while also ditching the color teal, which has become an overused color choice in modern sports.

The major problem with these colors is that they do not resemble the colors found on an actual Marlin. Of course, teal and black don't necessarily match either, but they are a bit closer than orange and green. Additionally, there are plenty of examples of teams with animal mascots whose colors do not quite match up with that animal's colors (for instance, the Rays, Diamondbacks, Detroit Lions, and Atlanta Falcons, among others). So at the very least, while an orange and green Marlins uniform might not be entirely logical, it at least would be pretty original (for a baseball team, at least).

UPDATE: I recently discovered that this color scheme would also match the colors on the City of Miami flag. Check it out below, the more I think about this design, the more I like it.

209px-Miami_Florida_city_flag.svg.png

I know its a little late in the game and that this is a fashion cap, but I could deal with the Marlins in green & orange (BTW, has the senior circuit EVER had a green team?) MUCH sooner than I could in orange & black. Although I still maintain that they'll never look as good as they did their inaugural year. As its been pointed out many times over, teal just plain makes sense for Florida teams... particularly when they're named after a fish that's actually, y'know, teal.

I could see the Marlins in a darker teal like the Jaguars and Sharks use. That would keep the teal going without being too garish to be a base color.

The red/yellow/blue/green that the stadium uses could be an interesting color scheme too. Big burst of color.

Marlins president David Samson was on the Dan LeBatard show yesterday (like he is every Wednesday) and a caller asked him to keep teal as a color because "fans love it." Samson's response: "We'll announce the colors on 11/11/11, and I can promise you the colors will be very 'Florida.' And judging by our merchandise sales, teal isn't that popular." Teal is out, end of story.

The reason they don't sell any teal gear is because they don't stock any at the team store cause the owner hates it and they control that. They phased out most of the teal in 2003. All the free promo giveaways are orange, and all the merch at the stadium is black and sliver. But go to every Lids store down here and you see a wall of teal and black caps. I've seen more people wearing the old school all teal and teal with black brim caps then ever before in recent years. Even LeBron is down with the proper Marlins look:

LeBron-at-Nike-LeBron-8-South-Beach-Release-4.jpg

Teal is the color of the ocean here. It's on the actual fish. Loria is a moron and I sincerely hope a foul ball hits him in the head.

The reason they don't sell any teal gear is because they don't stock any at the team store cause the owner hates it and they control that. They phased out most of the teal in 2003. All the free promo giveaways are orange, and all the merch at the stadium is black and sliver. But go to every Lids store down here and you see a wall of teal and black caps. I've seen more people wearing the old school all teal and teal with black brim caps then ever before in recent years. Even LeBron is down with the proper Marlins look:

Teal is the color of the ocean here. It's on the actual fish. Loria is a moron and I sincerely hope a foul ball hits him in the head.

That is exactly what I figured: the teal stuff doesn't sell because Loria and Co. saw to it that they stopped making teal merchandise for the most part. Take the black jersey or a replica t-shirt. That could have teal lettering and not be any less black. But even on the black stuff, the only teal is in one of the four outlines.

After a little research, here is the all encompassing list of all the teal items available on MLB.com: two purses and a titanium bracelet. They don't even sell any Cooperstown teal caps there. It's no wonder why they don't sell more teal merchandise.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I know its a little late in the game and that this is a fashion cap, but I could deal with the Marlins in green & orange (BTW, has the senior circuit EVER had a green team?) MUCH sooner than I could in orange & black. Although I still maintain that they'll never look as good as they did their inaugural year. As its been pointed out many times over, teal just plain makes sense for Florida teams... particularly when they're named after a fish that's actually, y'know, teal.

I believe the Dodgers were green for at least a season.

I remember BBtV said they should use a creole blue, and black for the Marlins. Ever since, all the concepts I've done for them have used that.

In addition to being devastatingly handsome, that guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to color schemes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I believe the Dodgers were green for at least a season.

I remember BBtV said they should use a creole blue, and black for the Marlins. Ever since, all the concepts I've done for them have used that.

In addition to being devastatingly handsome, that guy knows what he's talking about when it comes to color schemes.

Yes they were, in 1937.

That is exactly what I figured: the teal stuff doesn't sell because Loria and Co. saw to it that they stopped making teal merchandise for the most part. Take the black jersey or a replica t-shirt. That could have teal lettering and not be any less black. But even on the black stuff, the only teal is in one of the four outlines.

After a little research, here is the all encompassing list of all the teal items available on MLB.com: two purses and a titanium bracelet. They don't even sell any Cooperstown teal caps there. It's no wonder why they don't sell more teal merchandise.

Back when I was going to Marlins games regularly almost a decade ago, I was surprised by how many people were still sporting the teal caps, because they weren't really being sold even then. (I managed to find an oversized one on clearance in a downtown store I snatched up for the novelty.)

They were the popular choice among the die-hards, as small as that number may have been. But the new regime started a complete purge in 2003. Too bad. I like the Marlins identity.

I asked my season ticket rep about the new colors. He said it's going to be a mixture of the colors in the new ballpark logo. The primary colors will most likely be light blue, black and silver. He emphasized that the primary logo he saw had all the colors in the stadium logo. I toured the new ballpark last month and there is a lot of red, orange, blue, green and yellow splashed throughout the ballpark.

The VP of Marketing said a few months ago that based on focus grouping, changes had been made to the final design. Not sure when my rep saw what he saw.

1997 | 2003

Even LeBron is down with the proper Marlins look:

Hate to break it to you, but the only reason he is down with the look is because of his shoes. Not his Marlins' preference.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Hate to break it to you, but the only reason he is down with the look is because of his shoes. Not his Marlins' preference.

But those are a special edition Marlins version of his shoes though.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

I toured the new ballpark last month and there is a lot of red, orange, blue, green and yellow splashed throughout the ballpark.

Sounds like it could be the baseball version of the 80's Nuggets logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

But those are a special edition Marlins version of his shoes though.

marlins dont have pink in their colors, cant be marlins shoes.

they are "classic Miami" colors. pink, teal and just about any neonish pastel was everywhere in Miami in the 80s/90s

ow the miami vice/art deco days... yikes...

True2OB.png

Archived