2011 NFL Offseason Thread

Cujo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PS: Does anyone outside fans really give a flying :censored: that Jeff Fisher wore a Colts jersey? Honestly, how is that even relevant when assessing his coaching ability?

Even when it's in obvious jest, it's not a very wise choice to make, since you're currently drawing a paycheck from a rival employer. It's similar to Jim Mora Jr. saying he'd interview for the University of Washington even if he's the current head coach of the Falcons. To those that can control whether or not you get to keep your job, inferring that another job is better than the one you currently have most likely doesn't sit well with them. And as in Mora's case, as soon as things started to go bad for the Falcons, it made management's decision a little easier to get rid of him, especially if he sees "better opportunities" somewhere else. It's just not good judgment.

It doesn't have any impact on his coaching abilities, though. Nor did it bother me that Fisher wore a Colts jersey. (It did bother me that he wore a Manning jersey...he could have worn another Colt player's jersey, as long as he didn't play college ball at Tennessee, Florida, or Georgia Tech.)

Never have I understood the fascination with Gruden. What's the guy done besides win a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team? He's hype personified. Fans get all moist in their nether regions over Gruden because he put on a good show for NFL Films. He's "tough." He's "Chucky." Etc. The media fellates Gruden because he's always good for some copy. The truth is that Gruden is about as overrated as they come. If you're going to get aroused over a former coach turned TV guy you all may be better served spending your time fantasizing about Bill Cowher. In either case, I'd say be careful what you wish for.

... not only that, Bill Callahan went to Super Bowl with Gruden's team ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

My ideal choice is Gruden. Easily one of the smartest and hardest-working NFL head coaches in recent memory, and he would give the Chargers the ass-whooping they sorely need to play hard ALL season instead of just in November and December.

Plus it would get him off ESPN, where he's proven to be one of the most grating and annoying commentators ever. :P

Gruden? Are you sure?

He is average at best, but he, along with Cowher have that "tough guy aura" which the media eats up.

Following his Super Bowl win, his coaching record is under .500 (45-49). While HC in Tampa, he he never even drafted a player to make the Pro Bowl, so he isn't that good at evaluating talent.

You know also has a Super Bowl win and an even better winning percentage for his career? Brian Billick. Want him? Didn't think so.

First BBTV agrees with Lights Out and now this... I actually agree with dfwabel. This 2012 end of the world thing may have some merit after all. Anyway...

Never have I understood the fascination with Gruden. What's the guy done besides win a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team? He's hype personified. Fans get all moist in their nether regions over Gruden because he put on a good show for NFL Films. He's "tough." He's "Chucky." Etc. The media fellates Gruden because he's always good for some copy. The truth is that Gruden is about as overrated as they come. If you're going to get aroused over a former coach turned TV guy you all may be better served spending your time fantasizing about Bill Cowher. In either case, I'd say be careful what you wish for.

Your argument is a double edged sword here. If Gruden sucked in 2002, would the argument still be he sucked with Dungy's team? Rex Ryan went to the AFC Championship Game last year with Eric Mangini's team.

Yeah, Gruden is overrated, but he has a ring which makes him more endearing as a potential head coah. And as DEAD! touched up on, using your argument, Bill Callahan went to the Super Bowl with John Gruden's team.

The argument you said has been used year in, year out, but I think that nobody ever considers the other side of the coin.

My ideal choice is Gruden. Easily one of the smartest and hardest-working NFL head coaches in recent memory, and he would give the Chargers the ass-whooping they sorely need to play hard ALL season instead of just in November and December.

Plus it would get him off ESPN, where he's proven to be one of the most grating and annoying commentators ever. :P

The irony here is delicious.

Gruden? Are you sure?

He is average at best, but he, along with Cowher have that "tough guy aura" which the media eats up.

Following his Super Bowl win, his coaching record is under .500 (45-49). While HC in Tampa, he he never even drafted a player to make the Pro Bowl, so he isn't that good at evaluating talent.

You know also has a Super Bowl win and an even better winning percentage for his career? Brian Billick. Want him? Didn't think so.

First BBTV agrees with Lights Out and now this... I actually agree with dfwabel. This 2012 end of the world thing may have some merit after all. Anyway...

PS: Does anyone outside fans really give a flying :censored: that Jeff Fisher wore a Colts jersey? Honestly, how is that even relevant when assessing his coaching ability?

THANK YOU TWO FOR GOING THERE!!

Good grief..i swear some people need to pop Chucky's c**k out their cheeks sometime. Listen--the guy gets all the glitz he gets due to the "rah-rah" aura he puts on screen. The truth of the matter is this: for all the "offensive genius" he supposedly possesses, the guy is also just as apt to blow a good thing up. As dfwabel mentioned, not ONE All-Pro was drafted during his time in Tampa. Know what else Tampa never had during Chucky's tenure? A steady starting QB. I think Jeff Garcia lasted the longest out of the Qbs of Gruden's tenure, which included the likes of (watch this list) Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Josh Johnson (who by the way is somehow still on the team), and Bruce Gradkowski. Plus, dude had the audacity to try to trade for both Jake Plummer and RYAN FREAKING LEAF. (I'm not getting into the whole Farvefest rumor thing here.) Here's what else happened in Tampa: that team went from one of the league's youngest to its absolute oldest in a matter of just two short seasons--all of which proves two things: his masturbatory love of a/ quarterbacks and b/ veterans. As far as evaluating talent, dude drafted Michael Clayton in the first round of the 2004 draft. The dude lasted with the team throughout Gruden's tenure. Need I say more? Now granted, Chuck did get to the playoffs while with Tampa, but I think that had to do more with the homegrown veteran leadership that was already there rather than any kind of Gruden influene (except for Garcia...I will give him some credit.)

Now all that said...I don't mind Gruden on TV. It's obvious the guy knows his Xs and Os. He's good at breaking stuff down on screen. If I were him, I'd stick to TV. But, for those of you who want him as your coach...take heed to what both dfwable and infrared mentioned up above. Perspective.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

... not only that, Bill Callahan went to Super Bowl with Gruden's team ^_^

Yeah I thought about that. It didn't change my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

The irony here is delicious.

Gruden? Are you sure?

THANK YOU TWO FOR GOING THERE!!

Good grief..i swear some people need to pop Chucky's c**k out their cheeks sometime. Listen--the guy gets all the glitz he gets due to the "rah-rah" aura he puts on screen. The truth of the matter is this: for all the "offensive genius" he supposedly possesses, the guy is also just as apt to blow a good thing up. As dfwabel mentioned, not ONE All-Pro was drafted during his time in Tampa. Know what else Tampa never had during Chucky's tenure? A steady starting QB. I think Jeff Garcia lasted the longest out of the Qbs of Gruden's tenure, which included the likes of (watch this list) Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Josh Johnson (who by the way is somehow still on the team), and Bruce Gradkowski. Plus, dude had the audacity to try to trade for both Jake Plummer and RYAN FREAKING LEAF. (I'm not getting into the whole Farvefest rumor thing here.) Here's what else happened in Tampa: that team went from one of the league's youngest to its absolute oldest in a matter of just two short seasons--all of which proves two things: his masturbatory love of a/ quarterbacks and b/ veterans. As far as evaluating talent, dude drafted Michael Clayton in the first round of the 2004 draft. The dude lasted with the team throughout Gruden's tenure. Need I say more? Now granted, Chuck did get to the playoffs while with Tampa, but I think that had to do more with the homegrown veteran leadership that was already there rather than any kind of Gruden influene (except for Garcia...I will give him some credit.)

Now all that said...I don't mind Gruden on TV. It's obvious the guy knows his Xs and Os. He's good at breaking stuff down on screen. If I were him, I'd stick to TV. But, for those of you who want him as your coach...take heed to what both dfwable and infrared mentioned up above. Perspective.

Also, with the exception of 06' and last month of O8', Gruden always had a pretty good defense to help him win games.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I hope the Rams sign him, and then trade him to the Vikings for a boatload of draft picks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm not one of those that thinks Gruden is that incredibly great coach and should be the guy at the top of everybody's list... but to be fair to him, when people say he won the Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's Bucs team... well, then Gruden's Raiders team did win the AFC that year. So...

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm not one of those that thinks Gruden is that incredibly great coach and should be the guy at the top of everybody's list... but to be fair to him, when people say he won the Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's Bucs team... well, then Gruden's Raiders team did win the AFC that year. So...

And both teams ended up in shambles. Just saying...

BB52Big.jpg

"he won with [so-and-so's] team..."

Was [so-and-so] actually the GM in any of these situations?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And with that line of thinking, Mike Tomlin is a fraud, and those are Bill Cowher's teams he's winning championships with. Just saying...

Oh please. :rolleyes: Let's stop acting like the oft-cited "he won with Dungy's team" is the best and only reason non-salivating fanboys can come up with to criticize Jon Gruden. His tenure in Tampa was hardly the stuff of legend. The guy stockpiled mediocre QBs in Tampa, had lousy drafts, and managed a whopping one ten win season after 2002. Still, I'll concede the point and say that Gruden did do what Dungy couldn't in Tampa by winning a Super Bowl. After that is where Gruden's "genius" falls apart.

Coming off their Super Bowl season the Bucs went 7-9 in 2003. They went 5-11 in 2004, rode a weak schedule (that's not just my opinion, that was the perception at the time) to 11-5 in 2005, and managed to lose to the Redskins at home in the first round of the playoffs. They dropped right back to 4-12 in 2006. In his last two seasons in Tampa the great Jon Gruden managed two 9-7 seasons culminating in an epic choke job in December of 2008 after which this "coaching genius" was unceremoniously fired.

Looking at his overall record with Tampa, if the team Tony Dungy built had nothing to do with Gruden's success then why were the Bucs so mediocre for the six years following the 2002 season? All I'm saying is that the guy clearly isn't anywhere near as good as his reputation. He was unable to produce any kind of success with "his own team" and, lest we forget, his own hand picked GM. The guy is way overrated. Period.

BB52Big.jpg

And with that line of thinking, Mike Tomlin is a fraud, and those are Bill Cowher's teams he's winning championships with. Just saying...

Oh please. :rolleyes: Let's stop acting like the oft-cited "he won with Dungy's team" is the best and only reason non-salivating fanboys can come up with to criticize Jon Gruden. His tenure in Tampa was hardly the stuff of legend. The guy stockpiled mediocre QBs in Tampa, had lousy drafts, and managed a whopping one ten win season after 2002. Still, I'll concede the point and say that Gruden did do what Dungy couldn't in Tampa by winning a Super Bowl. After that is where Gruden's "genius" falls apart.

Coming off their Super Bowl season the Bucs went 7-9 in 2003. They went 5-11 in 2004, rode a weak schedule (that's not just my opinion, that was the perception at the time) to 11-5 in 2005, and managed to lose to the Redskins at home in the first round of the playoffs. They dropped right back to 4-12 in 2006. In his last two seasons in Tampa the great Jon Gruden managed two 9-7 seasons culminating in an epic choke job in December of 2008 after which this "coaching genius" was unceremoniously fired.

Looking at his overall record with Tampa, if the team Tony Dungy built had nothing to do with Gruden's success then why were the Bucs so mediocre for the six years following the 2002 season? All I'm saying is that the guy clearly isn't anywhere near as good as his reputation. He was unable to produce any kind of success with "his own team" and, lest we forget, his own hand picked GM. The guy is way overrated. Period.

I was being sarcastic. Did you really believe I thought that Mike Tomlin isn't a good coach? Please, that's just stupid.

I was being sarcastic. Did you really believe I thought that Mike Tomlin isn't a good coach? Please, that's just stupid. Maybe I should just stick to whining about the behavior of Jets fans eh?

Not at all actually. I took it as nothing but sarcasm. I just figured you were just pointing out the flaw in my "Gruden won with Dungy's team" argument. Apparently I'm just that stupid. Maybe I should stick to whining about the behavior of Jets fans eh?

BB52Big.jpg

I was being sarcastic. Did you really believe I thought that Mike Tomlin isn't a good coach? Please, that's just stupid. Maybe I should just stick to whining about the behavior of Jets fans eh?

Not at all actually. I took it as nothing but sarcasm. I just figured you were just pointing out the flaw in my "Gruden won with Dungy's team" argument. Apparently I'm just that stupid. Maybe I should stick to whining about the behavior of Jets fans eh?

No, because they're too easy a target, and fun to get riled up. I just find the concept of he won with *insert original coach's name here* a stupid comment to make, because obviously they must have done something that the other coach failed to do to put them over the hump so to speak.

Plus, as of now, both Jon Gruden and Tony Dungy have a single Super Bowl, and turned around franchises (Raiders and Buccaneers, respectively). So I've never liked that comment because who knows if Jon would've won Super Bowl XXXVII with the Raiders if he was there, or Tony with the Buccaneers for that matter. Maybe neither would've got their teams to the Super Bowl, period. Both in my mind are overrated, with plenty of wasted opportunities, as well as only one ring to show for it.

Archived