Colorizing to visualize old sports uniforms

Mingjai

I never read the Uniwatch blog, but the other day I happened to come across the posts linking to colorizations done by various readers. It was like a revelation to me, because I always get caught in the rut of visualizing old school as black and white. I'd never done a colorization before in Photoshop, so I decided to try my hand at an old photo from 1937 I'd seen hanging in many places around campus when I was at BYU. I only spent about 20 minutes on the photo, so the hand coloring is a bit crude, but that was enough to help me visualize what the uniforms used to look like.

I'd like this thread to become a place where other board members visualize "old school" uniforms by colorizing old photos or reposting others' colorizations. I'm not sure it this thread belongs in "Concepts" or "Sports Logos," but I'm posting it here where there's more traffic and if it gets moved and/or merged with another thread, so be it.

Anyway, if I make any more, I'll post them here.

BYU 1937

1937.jpg1937c.jpg

EDIT: There are many ways to colorize in Photoshop. I used the tutorial here (http://www.photoshopbox.com/Photo-Retouch/Colorizing-Black-and-White-Photos.html) which uses adjustment layers to allow you to make simple edits to your color choices.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I never read the Uniwatch blog, but the other day I happened to come across the posts linking to colorizations done by various readers. It was like a revelation to me, because I always get caught in the rut of visualizing old school as black and white. I'd never done a colorization before in Photoshop, so I decided to try my hand at an old photo from 1937 I'd seen hanging in many places around campus when I was at BYU. I only spent about 20 minutes on the photo, so the hand coloring is a bit crude, but that was enough to help me visualize what the uniforms used to look like.

I'd like this thread to become a place where other board members visualize "old school" uniforms by colorizing old photos or reposing others' colorizations. I'm not sure it this thread belongs in "Concepts" or "Sports Logos," but I'm posting it here where there's more traffic and if it gets moved and/or merged with another thread, so be it.

BYU 1937

1937.jpg1937c.jpg

Check out the helmet on the conehead third from front.

I'd like this thread to become a place where other board members visualize "old school" uniforms by colorizing old photos or reposting others' colorizations. I'm not sure it this thread belongs in "Concepts" or "Sports Logos," but I'm posting it here where there's more traffic and if it gets moved and/or merged with another thread, so be it.

link to that page on uni watch please? thats the hardest site for me to find stuff on for some reason ?

BYU 1937

1937.jpg1937c.jpg

EDIT: There are many ways to colorize in Photoshop. I used the tutorial here (http://www.photoshopbox.com/Photo-Retouch/Colorizing-Black-and-White-Photos.html) which uses adjustment layers to allow you to make simple edits to your color choices.

Is there any reason why you quoted the OP without adding anything?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

what was the reasoning for the stripes on the lower sleeves? and the stripes on the front body ?

I've read they were to help with gripping the ball. How, whether it was different material or whatever, I don't know, but it's supposedly the reason for these early Bears jerseys:

20.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

what was the reasoning for the stripes on the lower sleeves? and the stripes on the front body ?

I've read they were to help with gripping the ball. How, whether it was different material or whatever, I don't know, but it's supposedly the reason for these early Bears jerseys:

20.jpg

what was the body of a jersey made of back then ? what in the 20s was it cotton- polyester- wool ? what is dureen ? did I say dureen right ?

Archived