NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to the Flames, I have to say that I do love the originals, AND the EDGE design. I wasn't a fan of the pre-edge set because I thought the black "v" shape at the bottom and arms looked terrible. I love the black C, but that should be the only instance of black on the jersey.

As an oilers lifelong diehard fan I am extremely happy to see the blue and orange back where it belongs. When the copper/red/navy first came out way back when, it was a refreshing change but it got really old really old pretty fast.

Maybe someone wants to make a nicer version because i'm completely useless with photoshop/illustrator but for a 3rd jersey i'd love to see something like this:

http://imageshack.us/f/20/oilersjersey.jpg/

i don't even know how to paste a picture - i guess image shack isn't what i should use?

anyways i'd love to see someone with actual skills try a concept in this fashion - i chose horrible number and name fonts too, i know.

gagner3.png

at this point we don't even know what the blackhawks will use for a 3rd jersey with the rumored discontinuation of the winter classic gear.

Baby blue jersey with Blackhawk logo in circle surrounded by "Chicago Blackhawks Hockey Club".

Don't forget the lace up collar.

And the retro "white" shoulder yoke.

Jersey... designed!

Where's our damn check?

lol

5872998029_b3370e704c_z.jpg

Can I use that to start some ruors here amongst my friends???

Also, according to a friend within the Blackhawk organization, the new third will just be the old third - the original black one, just in Edge cut.

That's good news. The throwback/fauxback was great for the Winter Classic, and I understand why they wanted to get some more mileage out of it. But I think either it needed to get updated with the current primary or retired. Loved the colors, but the traditional black 3rd is a really nice-looking jersey. Hard to go wrong, even with recolors of those.

JERSEY-front.jpg

JERSEY-side.jpg

Looks like the Preds dropped Nashville off the front, but kept it on the back collar.

That's too bad. I actually liked the wordmark on the left side of the front. Maybe, maybe it would have looked better on the right side considering the left may get cluttered with the captain and alternate captain patches (which are stupid, btw), but the wordmark on the back of the collar is awful.

That's a shame too, because I thought the name looked better there instead of being on the back of the collar. I do applaud Nashville for simplifying their primary logo, and introducing a new colored jersey to the NHL. Another thing I'd like is for Minnesota to drop their red uniforms and design a white version of the green jerseys they used for the draft. Somehow that wordmark logo is classy and very appropriate for the Wild.

In regards to the Flames, I have to say that I do love the originals, AND the EDGE design. I wasn't a fan of the pre-edge set because I thought the black "v" shape at the bottom and arms looked terrible. I love the black C, but that should be the only instance of black on the jersey.

The Black V looks a hell of a lot better than lazily intersecting Vertical side panels with thin horizontal stripes and having apron piping abruptly ending for no discernible reason. Lets not forget the pit stains or tacky Flag patches.

The Black V looks a hell of a lot better than lazily intersecting Vertical side panels with thin horizontal stripes and having apron piping abruptly ending for no discernible reason. Lets not forget the pit stains or tacky Flag patches.

Right, because as we all know, Calgary is the only real hockey team that represents Alberta. :rolleyes:

Right, because as we all know, Calgary is the only real hockey team that represents Alberta. :rolleyes:

I don't even find that aspect of it offensive. Whats offensive to me is that a paid design firm actually thought that lazily using flags (one of which flies completely in the face of the Flames long established colour scheme) was a viable choice for secondary logos.

I don't even find that aspect of it offensive. Whats offensive to me is that a paid design firm actually thought that lazily using flags (one of which flies completely in the face of the Flames long established colour scheme) was a viable choice for secondary logos.

I just found the whole redesign to be pretentious as it was crappy. Beyond the obvious flaws in the actual uniform design and absence of the flaming horse alternate logos, it's extremely hard to screw up red, gold, and black. Now, Calgary dropped the ball twice (the current and late 1990's uniforms), and hopefully they'll either go back to their roots like the Oilers have done, or perhaps find a way to modernize the 2004 set.

That's a shame. I like the current third. Also, they already wore the old black with the Edge cut.

Yup, and it was popular.

I hate that jersey. It's just so dark and bland. Especially when you have the red jersey that is as good as it is, a third jersey just isn't needed. I'd be disappointed if that black jersey came back. The Hawks should just wear red 41 times a year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

That's a shame too, because I thought the name looked better there instead of being on the back of the collar. I do applaud Nashville for simplifying their primary logo, and introducing a new colored jersey to the NHL. Another thing I'd like is for Minnesota to drop their red uniforms and design a white version of the green jerseys they used for the draft. Somehow that wordmark logo is classy and very appropriate for the Wild.

Absolutely not. What Minnesota needs to do is go back to this set. That is all.

Wild04.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Wild04.png

I was never a fan of that set in the least. Sure the primary logo is good, but I felt there were some annoying inconsistencies in the uniform. The home uniform (which would be the green one now), I can get over the absence of white in the uniform, but the shoulder piping I found to be lazy. No color to the inside, like on the white jerseys at all, where you had a green shoulder bar. I always felt they should've used traditional shoulder bars on their entire set instead (integrating more red into the design, since New Jersey dropped it during the early 1990's), and kept the "Wild" logo (i.e. Boston, Buffalo, San Jose, and now Edmonton's current uniforms). The white jerseys were far superior, but the numbers, why is red the dominant color, when it should be green instead, leaving red and wheat for the outlines of the numbers on the back of the jersey. It's the little things like that, which annoyed me.

Wild04.png

I was never a fan of that set in the least. Sure the primary logo is good, but I felt there were some annoying inconsistencies in the uniform. The home uniform (which would be the green one now), I can get over the absence of white in the uniform, but the shoulder piping I found to be lazy. No color to the inside, like on the white jerseys at all, where you had a green shoulder bar. I always felt they should've used traditional shoulder bars on their entire set instead (integrating more red into the design, since New Jersey dropped it during the early 1990's), and kept the "Wild" logo (i.e. Boston, Buffalo, San Jose, and now Edmonton's current uniforms). The white jerseys were far superior, but the numbers, why is red the dominant color, when it should be green instead, leaving red and wheat for the outlines of the numbers on the back of the jersey. It's the little things like that, which annoyed me.

I personally thought having the shoulder stripes be the same color as the body of the jersey made it the most unique, different from the Jets, Rangers, Leafs, and pretty much every other team that has used that shoulder stripe pattern. I own one of those green ones and usually get compliments on it from non-hockey fans.

I also really love that red jersey, I wear it when I play hockey and it looks great - vintage but still acceptable in today's hockey world (and much better than the Edge version).

The problem is that their original jerseys, with their shoulder stripes, are very modern and fit perfectly with their year-2000 inception, but they have created such an air of vintage, a created-history (which is rather deserved for the state of Minnesota), that they have to use their traditional jerseys (the red and new green), but don't want to give up their modern whites and forget that they're new. I've never had a problem with how mismatched their jersey set is because 1) it's unique to this team, and 2) it fits all of the ideas that the franchise wants to embody, one at a time.

I think the perfect compromise would be using that set, and then swapping the red third jersey for the current green third jersey every other year. It would be unique, would keep both of them fresh, and keep them both as thirds.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Wild04.png

This was a great set though you can't ignore the fact that the white version of this jersey is infinitely superior to the green. They should have made the shoulder bar red and then coloured the Red piping white.

Wild04.png

This was a great set though you can't ignore the fact that the white version of this jersey is infinitely superior to the green. They should have made the shoulder bar red and then coloured the Red piping white.

Exactly, though most away, and what was once home jerseys, usually look superior to the colored versions. I just felt, without a colored shoulder bar, the green jersey design seemed lazy. Personally, I prefer the more traditional shoulder bar designs, but I'd like to see Minnesota embrace a green and red identity, and not the reverse, since we already have so many red teams in the NHL. Plus, it's a unique color combination to professional sports and something they should capitalize on.

I think what can't be overstated enough on the Wild unis is that the edge-i-fication ruined the shoulder stripes. They were thick and bold, and post-edge were thin and relegated to stupid piping. While I agree that the posted Wild unis were great, the apparent inability to manufacture them in the edge template screams for a new direction.

Personally, the green script is my current favorite. I'd be in favor of them moving the entire set in that direction.

That's a shame. I like the current third. Also, they already wore the old black with the Edge cut.

Yup, and it was popular.

I hate that jersey. It's just so dark and bland. Especially when you have the red jersey that is as good as it is, a third jersey just isn't needed. I'd be disappointed if that black jersey came back. The Hawks should just wear red 41 times a year.

The main problem I have with the black jersey is that, once the crest changed and they got rid of the gold outline on it, the Indian head doesn't nearly stand out as much as it should.

For what it's worth, when I went to the Blackhawks Store on Michigan at the end of the season, all of their black jerseys - both the fauxback alternate and the "original" black alternate - were on the clearance rack. That suggests to me that if the original black alt is returning, it's not without some alteration. More likely, though, it's just red and white next season.

Also, a Google image search brought this up. ROFLcopter.

201061821183246857.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My problem with the Hawks' primary that everyone here seems to love is the same problem I have with the Red Sox' road grays. They're the Blackhawks. It makes no sense for them to be wearing red sweaters at home for most of the year. I'm glad that the original black sweater (without the unoriginal roundel and gross vintage white) is coming back, but it really needs to be made the primary. They could still use the red sweaters as an occasional alternate.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived