NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

What do people think of Nashville's Pre-Edge look? I know it's not as good as the new look but compared to the sheer awfulness of the Edge jerseys, I thought it was acceptable. Almost admirable in it's uniqueness.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville's new look gets a 7/10 from me. Their previous jerseys were about a 4/10 for comparison.

kthanxbye

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I like the new Predators look, seems to fit the team. I enjoy the little details on the uniform like the guitar string numbers and the piano keys on the inside collar.

Reaction to the Jets logo is pretty funny, we've heard it's round, blue with a two toned silver jet, and has a maple leaf and everyone is saying it's the best thing ever. lol, let's see it first. I agree with one of the above posters about feeling disappointment over the fact they're relying on the maple leaf design element crutch. It's becoming as played out as the Texas state flag and lone star motif is done in Texas. An air force inspired look would be awesome though. The Air Force ice hockey team and the Houston Aeros have shown that some pretty good looks can be pulled off with that theme.

Reaction to the Jets logo is pretty funny, we've heard it's round, blue with a two toned silver jet, and has a maple leaf and everyone is saying it's the best thing ever. lol, let's see it first. I agree with one of the above posters about feeling disappointment over the fact they're relying on the maple leaf design element crutch. It's becoming as played out as the Texas state flag and lone star motif is done in Texas. An air force inspired look would be awesome though. The Air Force ice hockey team and the Houston Aeros have shown that some pretty good looks can be pulled off with that theme.

Well if they're going the Air Force route they kind of have to use a maple leaf since, you know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roundel_of_the_Royal_Canadian_Air_Force_%281946-1965%29.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RCAF-Roundel.svg

I mean if you want to see them go the air force route it kind of has to reflect the Canadian air force, no?

Again, how is the maple leaf motif overplayed in the NHL? Toronto has it. It's relegated to the back of Ottawa's helmets (a logo that, according to the team, isn't even official). Calgary's use of the flag is stupid for reasons unrelated to the maple leaf as a design element. Montreal, Vancouver, and Edmonton don't use it. So where is this "they're overusing the leaf" sentiment coming from?

Yes, McDonalds Canada uses a maple leaf on the golden arches, and yes it's stupid. How that effects the NHL is beyond me, however.

if people are going to get up in arms over the jets using a maple leaf because there is already a team called the maple leafs, why does columbus get a free pass to use a star as their logo? :)

if people are going to get up in arms over the jets using a maple leaf because there is already a team called the maple leafs, why does columbus get a free pass to use a star as their logo? :)

That is an excellent point. Touche, sir, touche.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Speaking of the Leafs, this just in from Howard Berger

The re-designed alternate will look very much like the jersey the club wore at Maple Leaf Gardens on May 2, 1967 - the night it last hoisted the Stanley Cup. The 12-point maple leaf is identical to that worn by the team from the start of the 1967 playoffs to the end of the 1969-70 season. The striping is also identical to the '67-'70 version, though larger on both the jersey-bottom and sleeve.

http://howardlberger.blogspot.com/2011/07/maple-leafs-new-third-jersey.html

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Well if they're going the Air Force route they kind of have to use a maple leaf since, you know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roundel_of_the_Royal_Canadian_Air_Force_%281946-1965%29.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RCAF-Roundel.svg

I mean if you want to see them go the air force route it kind of has to reflect the Canadian air force, no?

Again, how is the maple leaf motif overplayed in the NHL? Toronto has it. It's relegated to the back of Ottawa's helmets (a logo that, according to the team, isn't even official). Calgary's use of the flag is stupid for reasons unrelated to the maple leaf as a design element. Montreal, Vancouver, and Edmonton don't use it. So where is this "they're overusing the leaf" sentiment coming from?

Yes, McDonalds Canada uses a maple leaf on the golden arches, and yes it's stupid. How that effects the NHL is beyond me, however.

Yeah my post doesn't read at all like I meant when I re-read it. lol

What I'm trying to say is I think the air force theme could work really well. My (separate) point about the maple leaf being it seems to be lazily slapped into a lot of logo packages, not exclusive to the NHL but across all levels of hockey. A contingent of fans do lap it up though so I guess you can't fault someone for playing to the crowd.

Columbus' "free pass"? Look no further than the state flag they are drawing logo inspiration from.

Might be lazy in other cases to slap one on a logo package, but we don't know that to be the case here. Too early for snap pre-judgments. ;)

And if it's okay for Columbus to use another team's icon just because it has resonance in their state too, then I think an Air Force-inspired team is free to use a national symbol regardless.

Looks like the guitar strings didn't make it to the TV numbers. The only thing I can imagine is that they thought they TV numbers were too small to produce the six strings.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's frustrating how close to perfect the Preds' new jerseys are. Just put the guitar pick on both shoulders and kill the blues piping and it's perfect.

The single shoulder patch doesnt bother me, the use of the Blues template sort of does, but I really wish of all the extra shading and non-sense they removed from the primary that the shading on the front tooth had stayed. But on the whole I got to say I think its a fantastic look for them.

Nashville's new uniforms are awful. There are some jerseys you like straight off the bat and some you don't but reckon might grow on you, but Nashville's are neither - they're terrible. The worst part to my eyes is that I like the idea of teams adding little knick knacks to their uniforms to give them local flavor (apart from primary and secondary logos, I mean) but what Nashville's done with the guitar strings is a great idea implemented badly. One of the worst sets in the league, and the yellow version in particular is in with a shout for the worst jersey in the entire league.

I can't see why a yellow and gold version of last year's navy third with updated logos wasn't a smarter option.

Perhaps off on a tangent in regards to the Blue Jackets... But look at the Aves, Jackets, and Stars logos at the top of NHL.com. It always made me think the BJ logo is the offspring of the Aves and Stars logos.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Nashville's new uniforms are awful. There are some jerseys you like straight off the bat and some you don't but reckon might grow on you, but Nashville's are neither - they're terrible. The worst part to my eyes is that I like the idea of teams adding little knick knacks to their uniforms to give them local flavor (apart from primary and secondary logos, I mean) but what Nashville's done with the guitar strings is a great idea implemented badly. One of the worst sets in the league, and the yellow version in particular is in with a shout for the worst jersey in the entire league.

I can't see why a yellow and gold version of last year's navy third with updated logos wasn't a smarter option.

Ummmm.....

If it's the primary logo you don't like, I do have some trouble understanding why? I do agree with those who say that the yellow stripe in the middle is a distraction to the eye and that it kind of look a bit out of place. But then I think maybe it's something I will completely get used to over time. Because the fact of the matter is that the new logo is good for it's time. The old one had colors and patterns that reeked 90s way too much. I don't even have enough fingers on both hands to count all of the colors used on that logo.

If it's having a primarily yellow home jersey you don't like, I could see where that's comming from even though I love the new mustards! I also don't care if all Nashville home games are with the team in yellow and the opposition in white. I liked their old mustard alternate and I'm very happy that they dug down into that part of their history for the new look. Only this time, it's a full-time look. As for recoloring their checkered alts in navy and yellow, I have yet to see a (decent looking) concept of the old alt in those colors. So until then, I'm going to think that it's a bad idea.

Yeah the Columbus logo is a direct rip-off of the Avs logo. It doesn't help that the swooshes both make Cs and the city names are right next to eachother alphabetically.

:therock:

Also, the Avs' logo really doesn't look like a C.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived