NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Tampa Bay is in the middle of a severe Tornado warning. Not the best game to use as a judge of attendance. I have season tickets and did not attend because I didn't want to die driving over a bridge to get to the SPTF.

Yes I heard -- that's why I used the winky; but I can see how that could be taken the wrong way

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tampa dropping black from their uniforms is foolish. They aren't an old school team that went black because they thought it was cool in the 90s or whatever, it is one of their original colours. If being a Canucks fan has tought me anything, its that maybe you should just stick with the colour scheme you started out with.

That said, I don't have a problem with them making Blue the primary, though Blue is becoming what Black was to an earlier generation of NHL jersey design, tired and overdone. But entirely removing black from the scheme is silly.

Their current third would be a fine jersey if the absurd "Bolts" mark was replaced with the logo, make a white version for the road, and you're done with a very solid uniform set. Not that there is really anything wrong with the current road and home. They came out pretty well of the edgeification.

A rebrand to remove one colour seems pointless and likely to be visually tedious.

I was expecting a circle around the lightning bolt, but really hoping they didn't go with it. Now I'm just hoping that the keep around the black and silver. A blue primary with black and silver trim should still look great.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Does anyone know if the Leafs have any veto power when it comes to this? If the uniforms turn out like some of the concepts we've seen?

I was expecting a circle around the lightning bolt, but really hoping they didn't go with it. Now I'm just hoping that the keep around the black and silver. A blue primary with black and silver trim should still look great.

I could not agree more

untitled-6.jpg

Does anyone know if the Leafs have any veto power when it comes to this? If the uniforms turn out like some of the concepts we've seen?

No. When Pittsburgh switched from double blue to black and gold Boston protested, but it was all for nothing. The Leafs will have no veto power over the new Lightning look.

My guess, however, is that they'll try something that uses a simple blue/white scheme but in such a way as to limit the Leafs comparisons. Like I said before, it all comes down to striping. If they do it right it'll come off as a nice, clean look. If they try to ape Toronto's style then it'll come off as cheap/lazy.

I guess I never got around to my dissertation on my opposition to the Hashmarks of Success.

Armpits are stinky, wet, and kind of weird. There's unsightly hair all over them, and sometimes they make farty noises if you put your hand in there. All the same can be said of a certain other body part, but nobody's ever heard of chasing armpit. They're not a part of the body to which you ever really want to draw any particular attention, especially in something as exerting as professional athletic competition, where armpits are at their worst. As such, no design for apparel athletic nor civilian should have elements which direct your eyes to fabric on the armpit. I have equal or greater disdain for CoolBase's armpit vents, and the Buffalo Sabres' sweater with big piped and miscolored armpit patches. I am nothing if not consistent.

In the particular case of the Lightning, the Winner Slashes are a silly contrivance born of applying an element of Original Six simplicity to a concept of Sun Belt lameness. "When we score a goal or win a game, we're really gonna rub it in by showing everyone our...small and subtle stripes!" If you were going to do something as lame as coming up with a secret feature of arms raised in competitive ecstasy, you should have realized that you were a 1992 expansion team playing at a fairgrounds and might as well have had dragons spitting lightning bolts, or pictures of Zeus hurling lightning bolts, or something stupid and gaudy enough to fit the idea of Tampa Bay expansion hockey reveling in its successes. To be serious, though, even a "V" for victory would've been a better application of the stupid "victory stripes" concept than a handful of teensy little lines that look like mismatched reinforcement stitching or something equally unintentional. Part of the fetishization of the stripes seems to be that they were Esposito's bad idea, and having him as a minority owner early on is one of the only executive aspects of the organization that Lightning fans can be proud of, having been owned by several groups who, in grand NHL tradition, didn't actually have any money. (Thank goodness for BIll Davidson.) But celebrating Esposito as one of your own in the first place is kind of offensive, seeing as he built his legacy as a hockey player in hockey towns, not as a figurehead investor. You needn't honor his contributions by forever maintaining the victory stripes. The victory stripes were stupid, and Lightning hockey from 1992-2003 and 2007-2010 was stupid. There's no history to honor here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Tampa Bay's official website I think is giving us a hint to what its going to look like. ^_^

tb-favon.png

Not true, Tampa Bay's website has used that favicon for quite some time now, and definitely had it before they hired Yzerman. Of course, the team could look at it and "blow it up" for main use on the jersies...

I wish the team would keep their original color scheme. Some of these concepts tweaked with silver and black would look awesome.

My take on the new uniforms of Florida & Tampa Bay...

tampabayconcept.png

panthersconcept.png

So who's designs did you steal this time?

The concepts are nice, whoever made them. But those uniforms are boring and way too simple. I'm all for a more conservative look when it comes to sports jerseys in general, but if they do go that route it's cheap and lazy. Not to mention if Tampa Bay goes with an old-school design to their collar it'll only worsen their look... they were established in 1992, not 1902.

Archived