NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

White is the color of good in Western civilization. The players on the home team are the good guys. Baseball, basketball, and the Cowboys know what's up.

I'm standing firm on this, though the Canadiens should break the tradition and wear their red and blue home/away and ONLY SUPER RARELY wear the super-cool white sweaters with blue belly stripes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

White is the color of good in Western civilization. The players on the home team are the good guys. Baseball, basketball, and the Cowboys know what's up.

I'm standing firm on this, though the Canadiens should break the tradition and wear their red and blue home/away and ONLY SUPER RARELY wear the super-cool white sweaters with blue belly stripes.

I second. I understand the third jersey situation, but the good guys wear white. White is your Sunday best. For some reason, I think the white uniforms usually just look classier. Also, the Sabres homes I grew up watching remind me of Navy dress uniforms (blue shoulders on a white uni):

captainwhites.jpg

lafontai.jpg

the good guys wear white. White is your Sunday best.

Ah, but you never wear white after Labor Day. ;)

You never wear white pants after labor day. Plenty of people wear a white shirt to work year-round.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

That is so gorgeous until I remember that they're going to completely screw it with "vintage white".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That is so gorgeous until I remember that they're going to completely screw it with "vintage white".

Icethetics posted a small full colour teaser image earlier in the year confirming the jersey will not use vintage white. Good thing too.

Hopefully the Senators can do something about their awful Primaries in the not too distant future. This is a great start.

0801-ott-heritage.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1312266796906

Apparently no one bothered to look back at the teaser image to see that there is a lot more red above the 'O' than this suggests.

In addition, ALL pro, on ice jerseys will feature 'REEBOK' below the collar in place of the vector.

I call fake. A good fake, but fake none the less.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Apparently no one bothered to look back at the teaser image to see that there is a lot more red above the 'O' than this suggests.

In addition, ALL pro, on ice jerseys will feature 'REEBOK' below the collar in place of the vector.

While it could still be a fake, your first point isn't all that great, seeing as there isn't a lot more red, like you suggest.

0323-ott-3rdprev.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1300928307604

The top of the "O" is cut off, so I'm not entirely sure what image you've seen that has a lot more red on top.

Hi, how are you?

The top of the "O" is cut off, so I'm not entirely sure what image you've seen that has a lot more red on top.

Look how much higher up it goes to the right of the 'O' - above were the top would be...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Look how much higher up it goes to the right of the 'O' - above were the top would be...

Well to me it just looks folded strangely, like they usually do with these teaser images, but who knows. We'll just have to wait for the organization to release them.

Hi, how are you?

Hopefully these do end up being the real deal, because they look great. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if the Senators went on to create a white version and promoted the black version to primary status in a couple years.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

Hopefully these do end up being the real deal, because they look great. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if the Senators went on to create a white version and promoted the black version to primary status in a couple years.

Strongly disagree. While it's a stellar design, making it the primary jersey would significantly lessen it's impact. It is after all a "Heritage Jersey." This retro fad is getting beyond ridiculous. The Senators had a great, unique identity when they entered the league and it'd be a shame if it was wiped away completely (yes the current home and away jerseys are atrocious). Bring back the inaugural jerseys and keep this as third.

Eh, to combat your vector logo point, this concept was probably drawn up by the organization about a year ago, when Reebok still was in the transition of replacing the vector logo, but not yet on the jerseys. Think about it; the teaser picture was released in early March. The development of the concept must have taken place months before March, and obviously used the vector logo because they didn't know that Reebok would be switching it up.

And I have no idea what you're going on about the red above the O. The jersey in the teaser is folded up to the point where you can't distinguish anything.

OttawaSenators.png

And this from EJ Hradek's mailbag today on NHL.com:

Why does the NHL continue to market the dark-colored jerseys at home? White jerseys = home team. -- @raycon44

According to top League executive, the governors and managers have no appetite to change the current system that sees home teams wear dark jerseys or sweaters (if you appreciate that term). So I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Prior to the 1970-71 season, the NHL instituted a rule change that called for home teams to wear "basic white uniforms." That rule remained in place until the 2003-04 season, when home teams were required to wear "basic colored uniforms."

I believe the latter change was born out of a desire for the individual clubs to wear their "third" jerseys at home. In most, if not all cases, those "third" jerseys would fit under the heading of "basic colored uniforms."

I'd like to see a return of the "home whites," if for no other reason than fans in each market can get a look at each of their opponents' more colorful uniforms. A parade of visiting teams coming through a city wearing "road whites" means each game looks nearly identical to the fans in the stands.

I'd like to see a return of the "home whites," if for no other reason than fans in each market can get a look at each of their opponents' more colorful uniforms. A parade of visiting teams coming through a city wearing "road whites" means each game looks nearly identical to the fans in the stands.

How many times does it have to be said? It's not the 1960s any more. You can watch your team in the road wherever they're playing on High Definition television these days. You can watch any game in the league on any given night with the right cable package. The "we need to wear white at home to keep things visually interesting for the fans" argument has no merit in the year 2011.

Archived