NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

I don't get this conversation. If any team won a title or championship in a certain rink, their banner should be raised in said rink and stay there. Regardless of the sport; regardless of whether or not the team(s) is active or defunct.

Bah, it seems to me like he's just some insecure Leafs fan trying to convince us that Ottawans shouldn't be proud of their city's sporting accomplishments. I wouldn't pay too much attention to him if I were you.

If we Sens fans like the banners in the rafters, than that's all that matters. I do, however, agree with Ice Cap that these banners should display the =O= logo.

1. Yes, I agree with that. But the original Sens didn't win there, and the New Sens want to affiliate themselves with that history, which I disagree with.

2. Have fun is last place. Don't worry, Alfie's got a few more years left in the tank. Just hope they don't trade him for a flash in the pan...Cheechoo...(*snicker*snicker*).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get this conversation. If any team won a title or championship in a certain rink, their banner should be raised in said rink and stay there. Regardless of the sport; regardless of whether or not the team(s) is active or defunct.

Bah, it seems to me like he's just some insecure Leafs fan trying to convince us that Ottawans shouldn't be proud of their city's sporting accomplishments. I wouldn't pay too much attention to him if I were you.

If we Sens fans like the banners in the rafters, than that's all that matters. I do, however, agree with Ice Cap that these banners should display the =O= logo.

1. Yes, I agree with that. But the original Sens didn't win there, and the New Sens want to affiliate themselves with that history, which I disagree with.

2. Have fun is last place. Don't worry, Alfie's got a few more years left in the tank. Just hope they don't trade him for a flash in the pan...Cheechoo...(*snicker*snicker*).

Wow, the Sens are so under your skin it isn't even funny. Enjoy year seven of the rebuild!

thecatch.jpg

it's the same sport

Should the Calgary Hitmen tell the Flames to remove their banners before each games? Same thing for the Oil Kings?

That's a lot different. They play in that arena, and are not trying to claim someone else's history.

Wow, the Sens are so under your skin it isn't even funny. Enjoy year seven of the rebuild!

Enjoy commemorating another team's history because you have nothing to show that you actually won yourself!

Enjoy commemorating another team's history because you have nothing to show that you actually won yourself!

Fine, we will. And we don't need your friggin permission to do so, capice?

I'm not saying - or even implying - that my opinion must be followed and that every other idea is stupid and wrong. I was arguing my opinion, and how I think that it's dumb and makes no sense. I never said that my opinion does or should rule the world. It's my opinion. Everyone has one, and everyone can and will voice theirs.

it's the same sport

Should the Calgary Hitmen tell the Flames to remove their banners before each games? Same thing for the Oil Kings?

That's a lot different. They play in that arena, and are not trying to claim someone else's history.

I guess the Habs should remove their Stanley Cup banners since they no longer play in the Forum.

Yup, makes sense.

it's the same sport

I guess the Habs should remove their Stanley Cup banners since they no longer play in the Forum.

Yup, makes sense.

facepalm.jpg

That was not my point. You're completely misinterpreting my comment. I think that it's good that they're honouring the city's history, but not cool that they're claiming it as their own. Let me repeat that so you remember it: not cool that they're claiming it as their own.

Not cool that they're claiming it as their own.

I'm not saying - or even implying - that my opinion must be followed and that every other idea is stupid and wrong. I was arguing my opinion, and how I think that it's dumb and makes no sense. I never said that my opinion does or should rule the world. It's my opinion. Everyone has one, and everyone can and will voice theirs.

I've been to Scotiabank Place to watch the Sens with fans of every stripe.

Habs fans, Flames fans, Canucks fans, Leafs fans, Whalers fans, you name it...

I find it strange how no one except for Leafs fans ever seem to complain about those banners at the arena. Why is that?

Could it be that Torontonians are vexed that somebody else in Ontario has dared to usurp their monopoly on long-forgotten Stanley Cup championships? To me, it certainly seems like it.

Every single one of those championships was won with teams that were made up almost exclusively of local talent. These homegrown teams are often considered to be the NHL's first true dynasty. Why shouldn't we honour that?

thecatch.jpg

I find it strange how no one except for Leafs fans ever seem to complain about those banners at the arena. Why is that?

Could it be that Torontonians are vexed that somebody else in Ontario has dared to usurp their monopoly on long-forgotten Stanley Cup championships? To me, it certainly seems like it.

Every single one of those championships was won with teams that were made up almost exclusively of local talent. These homegrown teams are often considered to be the NHL's first true dynasty. Why shouldn't we honour that?

EDIT: DP

thecatch.jpg

Edit: Another interesting note. Icethetics Chris says that the shoulder patches will be bilingual. That means one patch will read "Ottawa Senators" and the other "Sénateurs D'Ottawa". Very nice touch if you ask me!

Legally-required touch, as the Canadian government decided around 15 years ago that law about everything having to be bilingual in Ottawa also applied to the hockey team. That's why the Senators' original crest switched from being encircled by "Ottawa Senators" to laurel leaves.

Uh, what? Ottawa resident here and I can absolutely assure you that no such law exists (or has ever existed) in Ottawa or federally and the government did not force the Senators to change their logo, nor would they have any authority to do so.

Forced to choose between believing you and believing Canadian Bacon, I'll take John Candy. :flagcanada:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKSw1OeK2w

Have to admit, after playing with the Predators' in NHL 12, I'm REALLY digging their home look. Probably one of my new favourite uniform sets... The yellow and blue is stunning.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Actually, as both a hockey fan and a history scholar I don't mind the Senators hanging banners for the Senators 1.0 Cup victories, and I'm also a Leafs fan. In fact I would dare say that the NHL should finally cave and merge the official league recognized histories of the two teams. The original Senators are no longer active as another team, so I see no harm in the new Senators playing off that history.

Yet you've felt the need to drag this into a "Battle of Ontario ™ " pissing contest. It's not appreciated, and if you want to play the "my team's better because of X!" then I can certainly come back with "my team's better because of Y!" I don't think you, I, the other board members, or the mods want that. I took part in plenty of Sens/Leafs pissing matches in the past, and really, we don't need another round of that.

Again, I agree, the banners are fine. I would just prefer that they use the =O= logo instead of the original Sens 2.0 centurion logo. Period-specific Cup banners are the way to go 9 times out of 10, and even if we concede a connection between the first and current incarnations of the Senators (which I gladly do) the team still didn't win those eleven Cups while wearing the Centurion mark.

Hopefully the upcoming anniversary starts the beginning of a trend in Ottawa where the Roman stuff is phased out for an emphasis on the =O= and maybe a variation of the half black half red shield mark. I agree, Ottawa has a rich hockey history for the Senators to honour. It's time they started doing it right ;)

Have to admit, after playing with the Predators' in NHL 12, I'm REALLY digging their home look. Probably one of my new favourite uniform sets... The yellow and blue is stunning.

Lose the apron piping and its perfect.

See, I don't mind it in action... does a nice, subtle job of breaking up the yellow without jumping out at you.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Lose the apron piping and its perfect.

See, I don't mind it in action... does a nice, subtle job of breaking up the yellow without jumping out at you.

I like it, it's needed to "frame" the details around the shoulder/collarbone area.

Actually, as both a hockey fan and a history scholar I don't mind the Senators hanging banners for the Senators 1.0 Cup victories, and I'm also a Leafs fan. In fact I would dare say that the NHL should finally cave and merge the official league recognized histories of the two teams. The original Senators are no longer active as another team, so I see no harm in the new Senators playing off that history.

Yet you've felt the need to drag this into a "Battle of Ontario " pissing contest. It's not appreciated, and if you want to play the "my team's better because of X!" then I can certainly come back with "my team's better because of Y!" I don't think you, I, the other board members, or the mods want that. I took part in plenty of Sens/Leafs pissing matches in the past, and really, we don't need another round of that.

Pissing match?

I'll have you know that in the aforementioned post, I deride both the Toronto Maple Leafs (directly) and the Ottawa Senators franchise (albeit indirectly).

thecatch.jpg

Archived