NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I don't get. It was the same for the Pens' Winter Classic logo last year as well: why put vintage white when the original logo had snow white, not vintage white? I'd understand if that old logo was like that, but it's not. Forget BFBS, the NHL is now infested with VWFVWS.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

This is what I don't get. It was the same for the Pens' Winter Classic logo last year as well: why put vintage white when the original logo had snow white, not vintage white? I'd understand if that old logo was like that, but it's not. Forget BFBS, the NHL is now infested with VWFVWS.

Thank you! No more vintage white unless it was actually there.

They should have stuck to their guns. The original jerseys as unveiled were gorgeous.

What's the old saying? "if you listen to the fans, you'll soon be sitting with them."

I agree that they should have kept them as unveiled. Though I like the fact that they listened to the fans wish to have black as part of the colour scheme, the way they just tacked it on suggests that they still would rather just be blue and white, the Leafs comparison be damned. It wouldn't surprise me if in a couple of years the black trim from the numbers and the pants suddenly disappear, particulary if the team is winning. I don't think there's any waiting period to make those types of minor changes, are there?

They should have stuck to their guns. The original jerseys as unveiled were gorgeous.

What's the old saying? "if you listen to the fans, you'll soon be sitting with them."

I agree that they should have kept them as unveiled. Though I like the fact that they listened to the fans wish to have black as part of the colour scheme, the way they just tacked it on suggests that they still would rather just be blue and white, the Leafs comparison be damned. It wouldn't surprise me if in a couple of years the black trim from the numbers and the pants suddenly disappear, particulary if the team is winning. I don't think there's any waiting period to make those types of minor changes, are there?

I don't think the "tacked on" nature indicates anything more than they already had merchandise in production.

All the changes they made, black trim on the numbers, black on the breezers, etc seem to be about as much as they could do without touching the basic blank jersey, which was already on its way to retailers and which the Lightning did not want to make instantly outdated.

I don't think the "tacked on" nature indicates anything more than they already had merchandise in production.

All the changes they made, black trim on the numbers, black on the breezers, etc seem to be about as much as they could do without touching the basic blank jersey, which was already on its way to retailers and which the Lightning did not want to make instantly outdated.

I know they released new merch with the new logo at the time of the unveil, but when did they actually start selling the new jersey? I don't remember if it was the same date as the unveil or not. If not and if not within a couple of months, then there should have been enough time to make changes to the jersey. Then again, I have no idea how retail works so maybe they had they did have the blanks made up many months in advance. To me (and maybe most people), it did seem like there was more than enough time to make changes if they wanted to.

Personally, I think the opposite. They couldn't make a major change after the unveiling, and the NHL would have to make them wait a bit for another significant change. I think that they'll add more black down the road. Think: they wanted to rebrand themselves with colour/a logo that you could easily identify with a team (like the Leafs, Wings, Bruins, Habs, etc...). Which would make more sense: to rebrand and literally start from scratch in terms of team brand, or use a colour that's already been part of your identity for nearly 2 decades now? Besides, there are no other black and white teams, nor have there been. Why not brand yourselves as that, as opposed to being the "other" blue & white team? And as for the "if you listen to the fans, you'll soon be sitting with them." quote, I'm pretty sure that that applies more so to GM and coaching decisions, not the branding of a team (quite the opposite, I think: you want to appease your fans). That's just my opinion.

VINTAGE WHITE ROCKS!!!! :P

Count me in!!

I love vintage white too. That's why I have an avatar with vintage white.

That's the thing: vintage white (and laces, for that matter) are by no means bad. When used correctly (i.e. By teams and with jerseys that had them when they originally came out), they look good. But now they've jumped the shark, and have become just another overused, lame trend. I mean, when two 1990s Florida expansion teams are wearing laces, and the Columbus-freaking-Blue Jackets are using vintage white - something's clearly wrong.

Based on a Winter Classic pennant and lanyard I bought at the Flyers/Rangers preseason game tonight, both teams are using vintage white as part of their color scheme. It stands out more on the Rangers logo due to the proportion of white but if you look closely at the Flyers logo in comparison to the Winter Classic wordmark, you can see the difference in shade.

Based on what I've heard and seen, both teams will be sporting vintage white on their uniforms. Flyers will probably wear their home jersey with vintage white in place of regular white. And will the Rangers be the first team to actually use a off white colored jersey? (An actual team, the 2004 All-Star team doesn't count.) If they do, I would be so pleased if an off white helmet is included as well. Based on those current rumours floating around all over the place, this is what the teams might wear...

WinterClassic.png

Now let's see if I'm right.

Archived