uah8tr

NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

Um why was Nashville allowed to get rid of their third then? Can anyone find the rule on this issue?

http://shop.nhl.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3169596&f=PAD%2FTeam%2FNashville+Predators&fbc=1&fbn=Team%7CNashville+Predators

It's still for sale on NHL.com, so I wouldn't count it out that you wont see it this season.

I remember being at the Joe in the late 90s and there were people with baby blue Red Wings jerseys. I know it must have just been some fashion jersey- like the black Wings one- but wow was that FUGLY.

Starter did those. They had yellow Blackhawks ones that were equally vile. The royal blue Penguins jerseys they did worked nicely, though. (Little did I know at the time...)

Another one that looked good was the Avalanche in baby blue. The Panthers in yellow wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

I own the black Red Wings and the red Rangers jerseys, they still look great! I own the Panthers blue as well, but those came true a few years later. Loved those fashion jerseys tho, wish they'd come back

Likely a really bad concept is to follow...

If I had to guess it'd be a retro take on the Winnipeg Jets. Normally I like Icethetics but this whole "Jacob Barrette being the force behind the new Ottawa Senators' Heritage third jersey" (their words) angle is really starting to annoy me for the following reasons...

1) The original Concept looks nothing like what the Senators released.

2) His idea was not original at all. I had seen countless concepts before that looked the same or similar.

3) The Concept itself looks like crap. Yeah lets put the 2D logo on the shoulders and use Dallas' half assed stripes <_<

0302ottbarrette.jpg

Normally I like Icethetics but this whole "Jacob Barrette being the force behind the new Ottawa Senators' Heritage third jersey" (their words) angle is really starting to annoy me for the following reasons...

You do realize that the Ottawa Senators themselves acknowledged Barrette's contribution to the new jersey? You do realize that it was the organization that consulted him about his original concept? You do realize that Barrette has been working with the organization over the new jersey for the last couple of months?

As for your points, how many concepts can you say were completely original and looked like it hadn't come from Tron or the 1800s? All concepts that look halfway decent borrow design elements from previous successful designs. The concept looked nothing like the heritage jersey because Barrette and the Sens worked together on the new design, which furthers the whole idea that he was a "force behind the new Ottawa Senators' Heritage third jersey". Lastly, who gives a :censored: if you think the concept is bad or not? Fans obviously liked it enough to petition it for the new jersey and it caught the organization's eye. I think the last thing Jacob Barrette was worried about was whether or not some critical, irrelevant fan from the West cared about his concept.

Quit spewing out garbage you claim to be fact.

I don't really know what that link was all about or why it needed two hype banners for a concept, but ol' Jake probably should have stopped while he was ahead, especially considering some of the backlash I've seen here. (Can't say I blame them. Concepts like that have circulated here for years.) So... nice job with the Senators, but now he's the designated "re-designer" for the league? Okay. Good work if you can get it.

Oh please, there are about 20 Sens concepts on this forum alone that look just like the one that "got" the Sens 3rd redesign. In fact a lot of the concepts that that "O", are better than his concept, and the current Sens 3rd. In fact from the other work I have seen of his, he is a second rate graphic designer.

Also the Sens and Lighting both introduced their first set of "Edge" 3rd jerseys in the same year, and the Sens have since replaces theirs. The Blackhawks also introduced their black alt that year, and replaced it just one year later with a new 3rd jersey, which they have sense ditched. There is no rule saying that the Lighting or Oilers have to keep their 3rds. At least not in the NHL rulebook. Is Reebok making up the rules as they go, or is this just a ploy to make more money? The Bolts could have at least changed the shoulder logo on this things.

Side note: Dallas made their away white jersey their 3rd last year, and ditched them this year. The Leafs, and Pens have also changed 3rds in the same time frame.

So yeah, the Oil and Bolts are doing this on purpose.

Also the Sens and Lighting both introduced their first set of "Edge" 3rd jerseys in the same year, and the Sens have since replaces theirs. The Blackhawks also introduced their black alt that year, and replaced it just one year later with a new 3rd jersey, which they have sense ditched. There is no rule saying that the Lighting or Oilers have to keep their 3rds. At least not in the NHL rulebook. Is Reebok making up the rules as they go, or is this just a ploy to make more money? The Bolts could have at least changed the shoulder logo on this things.

Side note: Dallas made their away white jersey their 3rd last year, and ditched them this year. The Leafs, and Pens have also changed 3rds in the same time frame.

So yeah, the Oil and Bolts are doing this on purpose.

I bet this has something to do with leftover stock. Think about the big holdup of Chad Johnson changing his name to Chad Ochocinco: he'd have to buy all of the leftover Johnson jerseys.

I bet Reebok is forcing the team to get rid of all of their in-stock third jerseys before they cease wearing them on the ice, or pay for all of them, which is why the Oilers and Bolts aren't bothering.

You do realize that the Ottawa Senators themselves acknowledged Barrette's contribution to the new jersey? You do realize that it was the organization that consulted him about his original concept? You do realize that Barrette has been working with the organization over the new jersey for the last couple of months?

Your absolutely right Xodius, it must have been a marathon of sleepless nights in that boardroom mulling over whether to use vintage white... or deciding how thick those sleeve stripes should be. Gosh I'm getting exhausted just thinking about it.

As for your points, how many concepts can you say were completely original and looked like it hadn't come from Tron or the 1800s? All concepts that look halfway decent borrow design elements from previous successful designs. The concept looked nothing like the heritage jersey because Barrette and the Sens worked together on the new design, which furthers the whole idea that he was a "force behind the new Ottawa Senators' Heritage third jersey".

There have been lots of fresh, original concepts posted on these boards over the last few years that are far superior to what Jacob Barrette created. Yes lots of successful designs borrow from the past but photoshopping the team's secondary logo on the Dallas Stars template is hardly a "design" in my book. To me it comes off as lazy.

Lastly, who gives a :censored: if you think the concept is bad or not? Fans obviously liked it enough to petition it for the new jersey and it caught the organization's eye. I think the last thing Jacob Barrette was worried about was whether or not some critical, irrelevant fan from the West cared about his concept.

Pretty sure the entire point of these boards is for Irrelevant fans like myself to express opinions on logo/jersey design. If you can't deal with that perhaps this isn't the place for you.

I don't really know what that link was all about or why it needed two hype banners for a concept, but ol' Jake probably should have stopped while he was ahead, especially considering some of the backlash I've seen here. (Can't say I blame them. Concepts like that have circulated here for years.) So... nice job with the Senators, but now he's the designated "re-designer" for the league? Okay. Good work if you can get it.

Pretty much. Obviously he deserves a lot of credit for being able to work with the Sens in designing their third sweater, but let's not pretend that the design he did was anything special. I think everyone who's tried their hand at a Senators set in the Concepts sub forum has used that design.

So congrats Jake, but you're fooling yourself if you think you can do this with every team. This whole thing reminds me of Pat "superstar artist" Lee all over again.

And here it is courtesy of Icethetics

287937814933037thumbnai.png

Described in his own words

want to clear this up right away: I'm a fan of the new Jets branding. This attempt wasn't created to overthrow their efforts, but rather to add to their arsenal.

As opposed to what I was able to accomplish with the Ottawa Senators Heritage uniform ? a full out nod to the old Senators franchise ? this Jets alternate concept borrows elements from the old and new era. While a refreshed old logo is used as the main mark, the current crest appears on the shoulders to create a link between old and new.

While the logo was given a makeover, the lines on the jersey fully respect those of the uniforms worn between 1990 and 1996. However, the base color used is the newly introduced polar night blue. Laces were added, cause, well, I won't pretend there's a reason for those, they just looked nice, but that is an element worth debating.

What was done:

Created a new, modern typeface to refresh the Jets word mark.

Added shading to the word mark. This was also a way to incorporate both shades of blue which comprise the new Jets brand.

Added an inner blue ring to the logo and silver ring to the outside. The silver ring creates a link between the logo and the jet present on the shoulder patches.

The jet was removed from the logo to create a more balanced look, but is still present on the jersey via the shoulder patches.

The NHL shield area is silver, again to subtly bring back that shade.

The typeface for the numbers would be the same as the newly introduced uniforms but with a red outline as the slanted numbers compliment the JETS word mark.

I felt it was important to incorporate all the colors of the new brand. It proved to be a little challenging as I didn't want the jersey to look cluttered, so I think the shading in the word mark was the perfect solution. It also adds a bit of dimension to the logo.

We've all witnessed a strong synergy between the Jets organization and their fans, with ownership finally landing a team, organizing the best jersey unveiling in recent memory and the fans responding by supporting the team and committing to multi-year season tickets. I think that if fans are vocal enough about wishing to see this concept or the Jets' own take on it, a similar design could see the light of day down the road.

want to clear this up right away: I'm a fan of the new Jets branding. This attempt wasn't created to overthrow their efforts, but rather to add to their arsenal.

As opposed to what I was able to accomplish with the Ottawa Senators Heritage uniform — a full out nod to the old Senators franchise — this Jets alternate concept borrows elements from the old and new era. While a refreshed old logo is used as the main mark, the current crest appears on the shoulders to create a link between old and new.

While the logo was given a makeover, the lines on the jersey fully respect those of the uniforms worn between 1990 and 1996. However, the base color used is the newly introduced polar night blue. Laces were added, cause, well, I won't pretend there's a reason for those, they just looked nice, but that is an element worth debating.

What was done:

Added shading to the word mark. This was also a way to incorporate both shades of blue which comprise the new Jets brand.

Added an inner blue ring to the logo and silver ring to the outside. The silver ring creates a link between the logo and the jet present on the shoulder patches.

The jet was removed from the logo to create a more balanced look, but is still present on the jersey via the shoulder patches.

The typeface for the numbers would be the same as the newly introduced uniforms but with a red outline as the slanted numbers compliment the JETS word mark.

I felt it was important to incorporate all the colors of the new brand. It proved to be a little challenging as I didn't want the jersey to look cluttered, so I think the shading in the word mark was the perfect solution. It also adds a bit of dimension to the logo.

We've all witnessed a strong synergy between the Jets organization and their fans, with ownership finally landing a team, organizing the best jersey unveiling in recent memory and the fans responding by supporting the team and committing to multi-year season tickets. I think that if fans are vocal enough about wishing to see this concept or the Jets' own take on it, a similar design could see the light of day down the road.

That's an awful lot of empty white space in the crest. I'd also like to see gray outlining red in the rest of the striping. Using the new Jets script would've been an excellent way to further combine eras, too. But, not terrible.

Well that was underwhelming. I wouldn't expect a call from True North.

I mean if that's the direction the team wants to go in they'll just use the straightup throwbacks.

Other than on the shoulder patch, there's no jet. This logo is such a bland and generic modernization of the old one. At least incorporate the team into the logo. The Phoenix Jets had a hockey stick and a jet, the new Jets have a jet, and for what it's worth, a maple leaf. This is just "Jets" in a circle. I also hate how the "J" sticks out of the circle, making it really unbalanced. Also, why are they saying it's "bridging the gap between old and new"? Hasn't TNSE explained so many times that they want to brand themselves as the new-era Jets and not try to claim the history of another organization, thus why they didn't retire the numbers, keep the jerseys, or even the same colour scheme. Naming them the Jets is as far as it goes. Now I know people will say that the Sens is a throwback to the old Sens, but that organization folded and is no longer around. I have no idea why this got all the hype it did; I've seen about 10 other Jets concepts superior to this. As a few commentors said, he basically Edge-ified the Phoenix-Jets' jerseys.

EDIT: Agree 1000% with you, oddball.

image3zi.png

*sigh* How stupid of a fan do you have to be...

...Women....

As opposed to what I was able to accomplish with the Ottawa Senators Heritage uniform ? a full out nod to the old Senators franchise ? this Jets alternate concept borrows elements from the old and new era. While a refreshed old logo is used as the main mark, the current crest appears on the shoulders to create a link between old and new.

What was done:

It's crap. Pure and utter crap.

What was done:

So I went over to the icethetics site to see what people are saying about it over there and it's about 25% support and 75% of people who dislike it. What really blows my mind is not that the actual uniform is a half-assed attempt by just slapping a new "logo" on an old-style jersey, but the response that "Chris" (I presume he's the blogger) has given. He hyped up a guy, and then calls people "whiners" when they respond with poor reviews of a poor design? What'd you expect when you hype someone up this much and the guy gives you complete crap? And to dissect the jersey, it's the old jersey with a new "logo" and that crest logo wouldn't make the first cut of logo design 101. It says nothing "Jets" about it. It's just a very blocky "Jets" with highlights on it. Every teacher I know would look at you and tell you to stop wasting his time with that crap and go design something. What I'm getting out of this designer, is that he's not a designer, but he just takes stripes and puts them on jerseys and slaps letters on it and calls it a day.