NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

If the Jets want to have a throwback inspired alternate jersey, they don't need to look any further because all they really need to do is use these beauties...

file_119_15.jpg

Disagree. This is a mediocre looking design that has nothing to do with the new team. All they did was copy the worst jersey in New York Rangers history and apply a logo.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oilers already have that striping pattern on their pants. League doesn't like to have multiple teams using the exact same design on any part of the uniform.

If they are in different colors it's not a problem. Having the same striping pattern as another team is far better than blank pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If the Jets want to have a throwback inspired alternate jersey, they don't need to look any further because all they really need to do is use these beauties...

file_119_15.jpg

Disagree. This is a mediocre looking design that has nothing to do with the new team. All they did was copy the worst jersey in New York Rangers history and apply a logo.

That and the big white stripe going down the sleeve feels horribly outdated. Or it's just too much white.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

If the posted comments on Icethetics are so negative, just imagine what he must have censored!

The concept is weak, at best. Far better updates have been posted on this board. How could he overlook the idea to include a jet in a Jets logo? Seems like a lot of the readership is not pleased with this concept, could Icethetics have jumped the shark?

Also, I love the original Jets (NHL) jerseys best, I wear mine rather often, but it's mostly because of the logo. I think it would be pretty awesome to see the 90s jersey with the 80s logo (hey, that's already a better concept than Barrette's!) or a WHA jersey with the 90s (or even the modern) logo, but I think this new franchise will avoid throwback nights as long as the finances are this solid (throwback jersey with modern shoulder patches = quick infusion of cash)

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Icethetics has always been that way. Sure it's nice to have it as a resource but the guy(s)* running it are, well, all about himself (themselves).

*I'm not sure if Chris is still the lone guy running it or if Jake has jumped in board as well. If not then it appears as if Chris has agreed to use the site to hype up Jake's concepts. Which is another thing I don't like about this whole "unveiling."

He deleted my comment. I was respectful, offering constructive criticism and expressing my disappointment that he went to personal attacks.

That's my biggest gripe against the site. Makes you wonder just how many comments that aren't "love the site and everything you do" are left unapproved...

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

He deleted my comment. I was respectful, offering constructive criticism and expressing my disappointment that he went to personal attacks.

This is why I stopped commenting there a long time ago. Even when you make comments that are positive they sometimes don't get posted. Icethetics is a great resource with immaculate presentation but the way Chris manages the comments is a major turn off.

Another thing I don't like about the blog is his schizophrenic opinions on jerseys. When the Thrashers Maroon Alt was launched back in 2008, he praised the design yet when the Thrashers packed up for Winnipeg he denounced it. I foresee the same thing happening to Islanders new Alt which inexplicably received his endorsement.

That being said, it would be sad to see the Blog disappear all together.

That's my biggest gripe against the site. Makes you wonder just how many comments that aren't "love the site and everything you do" are left unapproved...

Don't ask for people's opinions and get mad when what they tell you is not what you wanna hear.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Not a wind-up, but a genuine question - could someone please explain to me how this Jacob Barrette guy is any different from the hundreds of people making jersey concepts in their spare time? Not critiquing anything he's done, I'm just wondering. Does he run a design company or work for one? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention lately but I keep reading his name everywhere I go and keep wondering, well, who is he? I don't understand why I should know his name if, as it seems, he's just a fan like anyone else. What's the deal?

Not a wind-up, but a genuine question - could someone please explain to me how this Jacob Barrette guy is any different from the hundreds of people making jersey concepts in their spare time? Not critiquing anything he's done, I'm just wondering. Does he run a design company or work for one? Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention lately but I keep reading his name everywhere I go and keep wondering, well, who is he? I don't understand why I should know his name if, as it seems, he's just a fan like anyone else. What's the deal?

He's just a random fan whose jersey design was tweaked and became the Sens new alt (even though there were literally dozens of concepts just like it). Probably more of a generous move by the Sens than anything else, since the jersey isn't too much different from the old Senators' one, and if they really wanted, they could've tweaked that themselves. They probably wanted to make this look like a team-fan relations thing. Anyhoo, Icethetics is acting like this guy is the next God of graphic design, overhyped his Jets concept, put an unnecessarily big momma explanation about what he did, and are getting mad when people don't like it because they expected more than an average concept. This isnt to disrespect the guy, but they're acting like he's some fan hero who is the future of graphic design. He's not, but they're trying to make him into it. I've seen about a dozen or so Jets concepts better than it on these boards alone, Including Jahgee's (and I'm being dead serious).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

file_119_15.jpg

Disagree.

team7273.jpg

My dad did taxes for seven of these guys.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

What's behind the J in that logo?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This guy isn't a great graphic designer, he's a fan who got lucky. He's not the next messiah of logos or anything like that. Also, he seems to be letting the "fame" go to his head...

"We've all witnessed a strong synergy between the Jets organization and their fans, with ownership finally landing a team, organizing the best jersey unveiling in recent memory and the fans responding by supporting the team and committing to multi-year season tickets. I think that if fans are vocal enough about wishing to see this concept or the Jets' own take on it, a similar design could see the light of day down the road."

Give me a break. Your logo is barely passable; heck, your Ottawa Senators concept was a mess among thousands of almost identical concepts and the only reason it got noticed was because you photo-shopped it onto a real jersey. The Seantors changed it and fixed the obvious mistakes, and then brought you in to get some big fan-relation story.

This hype and "countdown to unveiling" is worthy of GhettoFarmBoy or Fraser Davidson. He hasn't earned that yet. A note at the top of a concept post saying "remember the Senators guy, well he made this concept for the Jets, pretty cool, right?" would be totally cool, but now Chris is just enabling him to think he's more amazing than he is.

Jersey is great, but that's not saying much,. The logo defies basic rules of logo design, like the inexplicably large amount of white space. You didn't add a jet because it wouldn't balance the logo? No, you didn't add a jet because you know that you can't passably render one and were too lazy to try. Don't let this hype get to your head.

What are the chances Chris lets this comment go through? :P

Barrette speaks up.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, good or bad. It does help determine what works and what doesn't.

I would just like to point out that the reason that this concept is based on one of the old logos but not the actual old one is that I feel, personally, that the old logo did not age very well and could use a makeover, but did have strong bones. Going through the comments, I do find some of them very interesting. For example, it looks like I underestimated the attachment people have for the jet in the actual logo, kind of like how Tampa fans were attached to the bolt on both sides of the pant shells. So that's definitely something that seems like it should be worked in there in some capacity. Another interesting comment is to have a white alternate as opposed to blue. I agree that it would be a nice nod to the whiteout. Didn't think of that. As for white being used as an alternate, I could see it happening. The Leafs alternate prior to their new one was white.

Also, for those who have followed the Senators project over the years, you'll notice that the final product differs quite a bit from the original concept. Talking to the organization and having access to the proper ressources makes it easier to end up with a better final product. This Jets concept is speculative at best and was created without any idea of if the team would even go that route or create something new entirely.

So judging by your response, it does need some work in order to please Jets fans and that's perfectly fine :)

A couple of things to finish, this concept wasn't created last minute as some of you believe. Just because it's a variation of an old mark, doesn't mean that time doesn't go into it. Sometimes details take quite a bit of time to get just right. I can see how some of you might have that impression as graphic design is widely misunderstood. I'm often ask about my job, with people asking "So, like, you draw on computers"? Hehe, so the planning and approach part of our job isn't as obvious to everyone and that's fine.

Finally, no need to point the finger at Chris for the hype, it was my idea. It was posted on here to gather your thoughts which again, I thank you for. The little extra teasers, well, I thought we're all just waiting for the Islanders to drop their alternate and because there isn't much to talk about these days, I thought it would be fun. It definitely got am exchange going ;)

Cheers!

NOV 3 // 8:16 AM PDT | JACOB

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived