NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Was at the game.

Hated it the entire time. From the crowd to the ice, everyone looked the :censored:ing same.

The Bolts new identity sucks so hard, and after this game they need to wake up and realize they need more black and silver. The blue and white isn't cutting it. There is no other two teams that look this identical, Stevie Y screwed the pooch on this one.

I think both teams' looks are solid. Yes, Tampa should incorporate those great socks/pants and more black/silver, but if they don't, it's still a strong identity. Same with the Leafs.

I think you are forgetting that when these two teams (below) clash, it looks like an intrasquad game, too. However, both teams' looks are great. One does the yolks. The other goes sans yolks. Seems like a fair trade-off.

Intrasquad practice?

It's not really a strong identity when it can be easily confused with another team that established that look long before-hand.

Touches of silver and black would/will go a long way in separating the two teams, but for now, the two look far too alike, especially being two teams in the same conference. Can you imagine if these two meet in the playoffs this year?

I hear ya. The Oilers/ Isles Stanley Cup Finals certainly clashed, of course, too...

With these two teams in 2001, at least their striping pattern is different. When the teams are separate, I don't have that much trouble ID'ing them. I think the TB blue is brighter, too. They are certainly related. I'm a big MLB fan, too, and if you couldn't have "similar" colors/ themes, the whole league would be fined. The entire MLB is blue/white, red/white. red/white/blue.

What will your opinion be if the Sabres eventually go royal and yellow (with navy accents, let's say), and the Blues have "ownership" over royal and yellow (with touches of navy) ???

Both teams original colors are royal and yellow. And they play in different conferences. Same with Edmonton and Long Island.

Tampa Bay's original colors included black and silver. Not quite the same thing.

spacer.png

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tampa and Toronto blues are the same. Colorwerx has confirmed this numerous times.

Back to the Isles for a second: WOuld it have been so hard for them to match the nameplate font with the font they used for "ISLANDERS" on the front"? Jesus, that's awful.

That would be asking a lot from the Islanders "brain trust."

That's just an unfortunate byproduct. The real issue is that Yzerman sucked all semblance of identity and equity out of the Lightning.

This x1000

Lightning and Maple Leafs home jerseys:

TampaBayLightning_JFV1a_2012-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

TorontoMapleLeafs_JFV1a_2012-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Yes, same shade of Blue. And yes - the fabric colors used appear to be lighter than what you see here.

Look at these side by side and it's practically the same jersey. It looks like Yzerman just toke the Maples Leaf's jersey, filled in the negative space of the double stripes with white and applied different logos. Speaking of which, how generic and unimaginative is that striping pattern? Just one broad stripe across the hem and sleeves... Must have been a lot of long sleepless nights for SME Design <_<

Look at these side by side and it's practically the same jersey. It looks like Yzerman just toke the Maples Leaf's jersey, filled in the negative space of the double stripes with white and applied different logos. Speaking of which, how generic and unimaginative is that striping pattern? Just one broad stripe across the hem and sleeves... Must have been a lot of long sleepless nights for SME Design <_<

Maybe the Lightning should have used their original "Hawaiian Blue" (their description, not mine) for the primary color:

TampaBayLightning_PropJFV1a_SCC_SRGB.png

It would have given them a little more of a unique look. (A little, anyway.)

I don't think the inspiration for the Lightning was the Leafs uniform. Swap blue for red and look what you get. They went with blue to have some continuity to what they previously had while moving away from black.

Team management specifically mentioned the Leafs, as well as the Yankees, as inspiration for the new design.

If they made this black and white, people around here would make comments about how it looks like the Red Wings, but otherwise, it would be fine.

If they made it blue and silver, it would have been a whole lot better.

If they had a more unique striping style, it would have been a whole lot better.

If it were blue and (a lot more) black, it would have been a lot better.

But they didn't. It became the worst case scenario: it looks just like the Leafs. To the point where it takes a moment to differentiate the two when watching highlights. It's bad, and I wish the league never let it happen.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Lightning and Maple Leafs home jerseys:

TampaBayLightning_JFV1a_2012-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

TorontoMapleLeafs_JFV1a_2012-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Yes, same shade of Blue. And yes - the fabric colors used appear to be lighter than what you see here.

Never mind that, imagine how great every team in the NHL would look if their hem stripes followed the contour of the hem as depicted in these jerseys? Looks so much better!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

Mashup.png

Nuff said.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Have you seen the ad for the NHL "Thanksgiving Showdown" game with Boston and Detroit. The ad shows both teams in their dark jerseys, do you think they will actually do this? For this one game and with a red (white trim) team vs. a black (gold, white trim) team I think it could work.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

If they made this black and white, people around here would make comments about how it looks like the Red Wings, but otherwise, it would be fine.

If they made it blue and silver, it would have been a whole lot better.

Either of these two options would have been better than what they went with. Simple two-color looks (counting white in this case) can look great, but pick two no one else is using. And seeing those two blues side by side makes me think they should have done more to the striping, too.

You know what I hate most about the Isles jersey...it's the gray shoulder yoke. I found a knockoff that uses white, and it improves it a little:

2011119164830855.jpg

Still an ugly mistake of a 3rd though.

What a terrible waste of sweatshop labor.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You know what I hate most about the Isles jersey...it's the gray shoulder yoke. I found a knockoff that uses white, and it improves it a little:

2011119164830855.jpg

Still an ugly mistake of a 3rd though.

Worst China fake ever. Shoulder patches are off, and so are the arms.

OttawaSenators.png

Archived