NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with any of you. Having been a fan of the team for at least 25 years, the lettering font of the "NEW YORK" across the 85th anniversary/current alternate jersey is terrible. The letter O just annoys me.

I prefer this vintage shield logo on the front and I'm glad the Rangers made it that size.

I prefer pure white over the cream white, but this will do.

I find it kind of amusing that Rangers now have Heritage and Classic alternates, and yet both of them primarily feature elements (navy blue, a crest logo) that aren't at all "classic" Rangers.

Yet I like both of them. With the regular uniforms basically being the true throwbacks, they might as well be creative with the faux-backs. I wish the hem stripe on these matches the arms and shoulders, but aside from that, I'm on board with these.

msg-117798227822.jpg

Wildly disappointing. Putting that droopy "vintage" shield on the front seems like a big mistake. Hopefully these get buried after one game.

Yes, they'll be worn only for the Winter Classic.

Well, that's how the Penguins' last two alts, the Caps' current alt, the Blackhawks' recent alt, and the Flyers' current road uniform all started out.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For a jersey that will probably only worn a couple of times, the Rangers jersey is pretty good. I like actually seeing a crest logo instead of Rangers/New York on the front, though the only thing I would change would be to have the white in the logo match the jersey colour.

I'm starting to wonder if the mismatched striping is going to be the next trend in jersey design.

I've always been in the camp that a Winter Classic jersey should only be one actually worn before in the team's history. No merging or bastardizing eras.

Ideally, I agree. The problem is that teams are already wearing their only realistic throwback option (Flyers) or their throwbacks are to similar to current sweaters to work on the marketing level (Rangers). With that in mind I'm not opposed to fauxbacks as long as they're the only realistic option, and as long as they're done well.

Both of this year's Winter Classic fauxbacks get a pass on the first count, realistically the teams had to go this route. They fail, however, on the second point. Neither sweater was done well. The Flyers went with a traditional shoulder yoke/arm and waist striping pattern when they've traditionally worn slightly modern full sleeve coloured designs. A Quakers-inspired sweater would have been preferable to what we got. At least that would have been an homage to the city's NHL history. What we got is so traditional and so unlike anything the Flyers have ever worn that they come off as generic.

The Rangers came out with a decent fauxback sweater design (though the waist and arm striping needs to match), but the crest drags the whole sweater done. Save for those hated 1976-78 sweaters the Rangers have never worn a crest front and centre on their primaries. Using the vintage crest just makes it seem more off-putting. Had they gone with an old style RANGERS script, the current alternate's fauxback NEW YORK script, or the 1946-47 arched RANGERS script with the number underneath they would have had an acceptable fauxback. As is? It just comes off as vintage for vintage's sake.

That font really makes the Rangers' crest look more "bootleg" than "vintage."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Is it just me, or is that a white crest on a cream/vintage white sweater?

If so, baaaad, it clashes horribly

The crest looks to match the color of the jersey. I'm sure it being a different material may cause it to appear lighter in certain lighting conditions.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

The colour of the jersey reminds me of that old Frank Zappa song... about huskies... and yellow snow... and water sports...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I probably should know this, but are all these old "white" hockey sweaters from 60-70 years ago actually this off-white color, or is this a bastardization based upon the "We're going to use this off-white color because they had real crappy cameras back then and we'll make look like HDTV doesn't exist?"

Either way, I'm getting really sick of "eggnog" being used instead of actual white.

Well... these look terrible. From the painfully outdated logo and the unfortunate decision to put it dead centre to the putrid vintage white which has been reduced to nothing more than an overused marketing gimmick.

Oh and the Montreal Canadiens called... they wan't their waist striping back.

I probably should know this, but are all these old "white" hockey sweaters from 60-70 years ago actually this off-white color, or is this a bastardization based upon the "We're going to use this off-white color because they had real crappy cameras back then and we'll make look like HDTV doesn't exist?"

Either way, I'm getting really sick of "eggnog" being used instead of actual white.

I think it's "vintage" white because they think it has a "vintage" feel, i.e. it's been worn and used so it becomes off-white. I think it's more of "Our team couldn't afford laundry due to the Depression, so we made you wear piss at home and coloured on the road". Here's a pic without vintage white; you know it's old because it's got the Leafs and the Cup together:

cup+champs.jpg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived