NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

I probably should know this, but are all these old "white" hockey sweaters from 60-70 years ago actually this off-white color, or is this a bastardization based upon the "We're going to use this off-white color because they had real crappy cameras back then and we'll make look like HDTV doesn't exist?"

Either way, I'm getting really sick of "eggnog" being used instead of actual white.

Building off what BigBubba said, vintage white tries to emulate the look of worn fabric. If you go to the Hockey Hall of Fame, for example, and see a white Leafs jersey from the 1950s it'll look cream/vintage white. That's not the colour it was originally though. Back when it was used it was white. It just dirtied/faded/whathaveyou to cream over the years. The current vintage white fad is an attempt to look "old" by emulating this cream colour, when in reality the old sweaters they're trying to emulate were just white when they were in use.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably should know this, but are all these old "white" hockey sweaters from 60-70 years ago actually this off-white color, or is this a bastardization based upon the "We're going to use this off-white color because they had real crappy cameras back then and we'll make look like HDTV doesn't exist?"

Either way, I'm getting really sick of "eggnog" being used instead of actual white.

Building off what BigBubba said, vintage white tries to emulate the look of worn fabric. If you go to the Hockey Hall of Fame, for example, and see a white Leafs jersey from the 1950s it'll look cream/vintage white. That's not the colour it was originally though. Back when it was used it was white. It just dirtied/faded/whathaveyou to cream over the years. The current vintage white fad is an attempt to look "old" by emulating this cream colour, when in reality the old sweaters they're trying to emulate were just white when they were in use.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the first team to use a jersey with an actual off white was the Phoenix Coyotes in 1997. Then the Minnesota Wild followed suit with "Wheat."

I like them. I'm glad they went with the logo on the front rather than the bland "New York" or "Rangers" wordmarks. Those have been done to death on the Rangers sweaters/jerseys through the years. Its nice to see the Rangers logo get some love on the front of the jersey for a change.

Much better than the current alternates they wear.

The Catch of the Day!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the first team to use a jersey with an actual off white was the Phoenix Coyotes in 1997. Then the Minnesota Wild followed suit with "Wheat."

The Coyotes used it on their 1997-2003 home and road sweaters, but only as a trim colour on their logo. Tan is also used on their current logo. The current black Coyotes alternate sweater is the first Coyotes sweater to actually use it on the sweater itself. With the Coyotes, though, they clearly weren't going for a "vintage hockey" look. The sand was/is there to allude to the team's desert location.

The Wild were the first team to use it in an attempt to mimic older hockey sweaters with their wheat colour. I didn't mind it then because it was just one team, and the Wild's colour scheme just "works" with the wheat/cream/vintage white. Since then though? It's become an out of control fad.

I'm starting to wonder if the mismatched striping is going to be the next trend in jersey design.

Guarenteed. It's already a trend now that more than one team is doing that.

I really love their new jersey! The striping may be mismatched, but I think it kind of suits with the whole retro theme because jersey stripes often mismatched back then so... Now I would of preferred that the Rangers used a script instead of the crest because they've been using a script for almost 90 years, excluding their brief experiment with a crest in the 70s that didn't go over with the fans. But I know that they are trying to show off that fauxback crest, so I get it. I love the striping, I love the colors. I'd give it a whopping 10/10 if it wasn't for the crest, but as it stands now, it still gets a solid 9,2.

The Coyotes used it on their 1997-2003 home and road sweaters, but only as a trim colour on their logo. Tan is also used on their current logo. The current black Coyotes alternate sweater is the first Coyotes sweater to actually use it on the sweater itself. With the Coyotes, though, they clearly weren't going for a "vintage hockey" look. The sand was/is there to allude to the team's desert location.

The Wild were the first team to use it in an attempt to mimic older hockey sweaters with their wheat colour. I didn't mind it then because it was just one team, and the Wild's colour scheme just "works" with the wheat/cream/vintage white. Since then though? It's become an out of control fad.

preview55953836.jpg

Well the Black Coyotes inaugural jersey used Sand in its South Western style striping though I definitely agree it wasn't used to achieve a vintage look. It's too bad those jerseys weren't a little more restrained because that was a spectacular, unique colour palette that accurately reflected the desert motiff.

Wheat worked on the Wild' inaugural set though it's been overused on the fauxback red primaries and that hideous alternate.

Wait a minute, now we're calling sand and wheat "vintage white"? No, those aren't the same. There's no need to drag teams like the Coyotes into this.

Wheat

Cream

Vintage White

Sand

Beige

All off white's and therefore can be lumped in the same category. Here is a visual comparision (credit goes to Colorwerx).

vintagewhite.png

As you can see the difference in shades is negligible. Find it ironic that the only team who refers to it as "Vintage White" is Columbus.

The Blackhawks' beige (well, tan, as the case may be) is distinctly darker than the other swatches, which are 14/17/38/0 CMYK across the board. That should sort of get them off the hook for the Vintage White Fad, though it doesn't get them off the hook for designing a crappy fauxback and then wearing it too much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ack.

OK - here's the color in question:

PLS_468_C_SRGB.png

This is equivalent to Phoenix Coyotes Sand, Phoenix Coyotes Desert Sand, Minnesota Wheat, Buffalo Sabres Beige, and any of the teams using what the NHL is calling "Vintage White".

They're all the same color.

However, I don't know what the NHL is doing regarding fabric/textile colors. adidas/Reebok uses DyStar textile dyes - which are also being used for the MLS and the NBA, and I can't really speak to the exactness of color. But, they are being matched to the color above.

That Blackhawks Tan is an estimate. (You can tell by the asterisk in the lower right-hand corner of the swatch.) When the Blackhawks created their Winter Classic/throwback unis, they did however use 468 C. So, I might be changing my estimate for those 1935-1936 through 1936-1937 uniforms.

The first bad Winter Classic sweater.

Okay, maybe it's not "bad", but it's sure as hell boring. Seeing the Rangers with a crest is also off-putting, not to mention, like someone else said, the font on the crest makes the sweater look bootleg.

spacer.png

Ack.

PLS_468_C_SRGB.png

This is equivalent to Phoenix Coyotes Sand, Phoenix Coyotes Desert Sand, Minnesota Wheat, Buffalo Sabres Beige, and any of the teams using what the NHL is calling "Vintage White".

My mind is blown. I could swear the teams using the "vintage white" were using a much lighter shade, like baseball cream used by the Giants and Twins. I guess not!

Ack.

PLS_468_C_SRGB.png

My mind is blown. I could swear the teams using the "vintage white" were using a much lighter shade, like baseball cream used by the Giants and Twins. I guess not!

Like I said - I don't know if the textile colors they're using are lighter or not. They could be.

There is no question too many teams are jumping on the "vintage white" bandwagon, but I think it's been used correctly for the most part. Even with the Blue Jackets 3rd that most people seem to feel the "vintage white" needs to be simply plain old white, I think it looks okay. The only jersey that I say looks completely terrible using "vintage white" is the Ottawa Senators 3rd. For whatever reason when I see pictures of the Sens 3rd, the "vintage white" looks like just white amd it looks a whole lot better.

preview55953836.jpg

Well the Black Coyotes inaugural jersey used Sand in its South Western style striping though I definitely agree it wasn't used to achieve a vintage look. It's too bad those jerseys weren't a little more restrained because that was a spectacular, unique colour palette that accurately reflected the desert motiff.

Wheat worked on the Wild' inaugural set though it's been overused on the fauxback red primaries and that hideous alternate.

I always felt those old Coyotes sweaters were better and had more character than their generic sedona red/wheat/white look. And their black alt, especially paired with red helmet/breezers and a poor template looks hideous.

I see those uni's above, and I still see traditional striping elements with the interior's of the stripes used in a creative and unique way, much like the Cincinnati Bengals' tiger stripes within traditional shoulder stripes from their two sets from 1981-2003.

I don't want to call them perfect, but I don't hesitate to call them better than their new set, especially since they still lack hem stripes these days.

spacer.png

Ack.

PLS_468_C_SRGB.png

I own a Pens WC jersey, and I can say for a fact that the colour looks a lot different on jersey fabric. While it's not cream, it's less beige-looking than this.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived