NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to a Marlies game yesterday and saw someone in a (knockoff) Selanne Atlanta Jets jersey. I don't get why someone would get that.Anyways, I like how the Rags' backcup goalie is wearing brown pads.On a side note, the Winter Classic has gone from a fun outdoor game to a game between the same NE US teams decked out in vintage white". It's gonna be the same teams always playing. The only "new" teams I can see playing would be the Devils and maybe the Wild/Blues if they were visiting. Hopefully they bring back the Heritage Classic.

large_FirstPractice_0101_19.jpgThose appear to be their standard shorts with royal blue trim. How lazy.
They have the primary Rangers logo on them. That's even more lazy.

The Winter Classic is a made for US TV event meaning NBC is only going to want to have the biggest markets and the biggest stars. While New Jersey has Kovalchuk and Parise, neither is really that big of a star like Crosby or Ovechkin and nobody cares about hockey in New Jersey to warrant their inclusion in the game.

Minnesota, Colorado, and probably St. Louis would make more sense as hosts than LA or Dallas, but I doubt they will be playing in the WC unless they get some real big names with national appeal soon.

As for the Rangers/Flyers jerseys, at first, I didn't like the fact that the Rangers went with the vintage white look, but it has grown on me. I wish they would be allowed to keep them around as a 4th jersey. If the Flyers aren't already, they must keep their WC jersey around as a 3rd. The orange stripe down the pants was a pleasant surprise.

The Winter Classic is a made for US TV event meaning NBC is only going to want to have the biggest markets and the biggest stars. While New Jersey has Kovalchuk and Parise, neither is really that big of a star like Crosby or Ovechkin and nobody cares about hockey in New Jersey to warrant their inclusion in the game.

Minnesota, Colorado, and probably St. Louis would make more sense as hosts than LA or Dallas, but I doubt they will be playing in the WC unless they get some real big names with national appeal soon.

You make a good point. I've been dying to see the WC head to Minnesota for a game against the Avs seeming I think everyone is kind of sick of the northeast teams every year (coming from a Boston guy). But you're right, NBC and the NHL really target teams that have big names and big personalities. Which for the most part doesn't exist to much outside of the Northeast, counting out Canada.

The last vintage white jersey in the NHL

2948009.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD6BCE60791D9AB52806B15C8C69A50BD2D2CE7CD4556F646CE30A760B0D811297

Another vintage white jersey (granted, most OHL teams do not have two sets of helmets)

Seth-Griffith-London-Knights.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Personally, I think the Rangers looked fine, but would've looked so much better in actual white jerseys. As far as the Flyers go, geez can an organization screw up a jersey more than this one? The Hextall era jerseys were good, then they added the black version which was still good. When they decided to add the 3D jersey, that's when they started screwing things up royally. Everything from then has been an epic failure including their crappy normal jerseys. I always thought the coloring going from the shoulder down the arm looked bad when you couldn't fit a double number on it, but throw on the horrible name plate and it just looks like another one of the crappy attempts on the concept boards here. What's even worse is they had a decent idea for the Winter Classic and they had to do that crappy name plate on it. And if I thought it looked bad on tv, then to finally see one in person, you realize how horrible the jerseys are and what a mockery of a jersey the Flyers have. Just horrible Philly, just horrible. You should be embarrassed.

large_FirstPractice_0101_19.jpg

Those appear to be their standard shorts with royal blue trim. How lazy.

You're expecting too much from a company who's idea of creativity is "lets just add vintage white"

Don't forget that the Rangers did have vintage white, dark blue and red pants shells, which they only seemed to wear once (I showed this in post #4398). They'd have looked good with the WC uniforms.

Eat a dick...

The Devils will eventually get into a Winter Classic, and it's my guess it will be when the Rangers get their home game.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Next year- Detroit v. Toronto at Michigan Stadium. Anything else = NHL FAIL.

Detroit v. Toronto at Comerica Park Ford Field. At least keep the game in an NHL city.

Ford Field can seat 80,000 for basketball, so it could probably seat at least 75,000 for hockey.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Detroit v. Toronto at Comerica Park Ford Field. At least keep the game in an NHL city.

Ford Field can seat 80,000 for basketball, so it could probably seat at least 75,000 for hockey.

How would that be a Winter Classic then? Wouldn't it defeat the idea of an "outdoor" game?

How would that be a Winter Classic then? Wouldn't it defeat the idea of an "outdoor" game?

Somewhat off topic. I'd love to see the NBA (even the NHL) adopt a "Dome Game" during the season. Say having the Hornets play in the Superdome, Pistons in Ford Field or the Pacers in the Lucas Oil.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Somewhat off topic. I'd love to see the NBA (even the NHL) adopt a "Dome Game" during the season. Say having the Hornets play in the Superdome, Pistons in Ford Field or the Pacers in the Lucas Oil.

Do you think many of those teams could fill a dome like that to the point of where it is an impressively big event?

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

This next one has to be out west. I imagine that teams like Colorado are screaming for one by now.

Imagine this, New Jersey at Colorado, Devils wear Rockies jerseys, Avalanche wear Nordiques jerseys: WHO WOULD BE THE HOME TEAM??? lol

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I don't know what the general consensus is on them, but I really don't like the Flyers' Winter Classic jerseys at all. They just look like a cheap fashion jersey with vintage white. Aside from the shells, the Rags look pretty decent. Lundqvist's pads are pretty nice.

My thoughts exactly. Also, the socks look normal white, anyone else see that?

I agree - the Flyers looked like in the game NHL '93 or '94. I did like the Rangers though - that version of the shield made for a really nice crest. I also was really surprised how much I liked the vintage white - it just looked more "natural" than the real white (based on the few times that a player had something that was real white near something that was vintage white.) It's a little softer on the eyes, and almost made for a color vs color effect. It wouldn't work for everyone, but it was nice yesterday.

Here is a photo I snapped during the alumni game showing both logos used. Interesting Flyers Alumni logo there, but the Rangers keep it sweet and simple.

img0082km.jpg

That's actually been the Flyers Alumni logo for more than 25 years. They used to have alumni games quite a bit, and the jerseys were the '80s / '90s style but with black body, orange sleeves, and the crest + alumni wordmark on the front.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Detroit v. Toronto at Comerica Park. At least keep the game in an NHL city.

I would love it at Comerica Park, as I'm a downtown Detroit fanatic, but Michigan Stadium is double the capacity and would easily sell out.

And Ann Arbor isn't much worse than Orchard Park is to Buffalo.

sig.png

I really hope for some variety next year outside the Atlantic seaboard, but all of the potential candidates, Minnesota, St. Louis, Colorado, etc. lack any so-called 'Household names', which in turn, equal $$ for the league.

I think Detroit-Toronto, at any venue really, would be a massive draw. Plus the alumni game alone would break viewing records. Stevie Y, Gordie, Larionov, Fetisov, Vernon vs. Sundin, Wendel Clark, Sittler, Salming, Gilmour. Awesome.

sig.png

Archived