NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Next year- Detroit v. Toronto at Michigan Stadium. Anything else = NHL FAIL.

Detroit v. Toronto at Comerica Park. At least keep the game in an NHL city.

I would love it at Comerica Park, as I'm a downtown Detroit fanatic, but Michigan Stadium is double the capacity and would easily sell out.

And Ann Arbor isn't much worse than Orchard Park is to Buffalo.

Gary Bettman was interviewed on local radio before the game yesterday (and actually came off pretty well, albeit they didn't ask him about the Phoenix thing.)

He specifically said that they won't go to a non-NHL city because there are too many NHL cities that are begging for it, most noteably Denver and Minnesota. He also mentioned Detroit as a possibility. Boston and Chicago are supposedly trying hard to host a second, and are upset that they may have to wait up to 10 years to do so, but that they and Philadelphia could get it again within that time frame. He did say that they were keeping it to once a year, to keep it a big deal. He said something about a Canadian game, but I don't remember exactly what it was (maybe they'll have a Heritage Classic every year as well as the Winter Classic.)

Didn't mention anything about Washington which I found surprising. I think that Ann Arbor would be eligible if the Red Wings were to host a game, but that's just my opinion and not anything that he said.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the local Detroit businesses would throw an absolute $hit fit if the game was outside of the city. #1 They really, really need the money and #2 Detroit has a real inferority complex and is not keen on things leaving the city.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

LOL that just dawned on me: imagine a Fla-TB Alumni Game.

Brad Richards, Nikolai Khabibulin, Dave Andreychuk vs. Oli Jokinen, Nathan Horton, John Vanbiesbrouck.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I don't know what the general consensus is on them, but I really don't like the Flyers' Winter Classic jerseys at all. They just look like a cheap fashion jersey with vintage white. Aside from the shells, the Rags look pretty decent. Lundqvist's pads are pretty nice.

My thoughts exactly. Also, the socks look normal white, anyone else see that?

I agree - the Flyers looked like in the game NHL '93 or '94. I did like the Rangers though - that version of the shield made for a really nice crest. I also was really surprised how much I liked the vintage white - it just looked more "natural" than the real white (based on the few times that a player had something that was real white near something that was vintage white.) It's a little softer on the eyes, and almost made for a color vs color effect. It wouldn't work for everyone, but it was nice yesterday.

Here is a photo I snapped during the alumni game showing both logos used. Interesting Flyers Alumni logo there, but the Rangers keep it sweet and simple.

img0082km.jpg

That's actually been the Flyers Alumni logo for more than 25 years. They used to have alumni games quite a bit, and the jerseys were the '80s / '90s style but with black body, orange sleeves, and the crest + alumni wordmark on the front.

254.jpg

That should be their 3rd jersey (sans alumni on front, and the back numbers reversed in colors), along with the 80s/90s jerseys.

A Heritage Classic would be nice very year, but with only 7 NHL cities, there aren't many viable locations. Outside of Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton and McMahon in Calgary (and maybe Winnipeg), CFL outdoor stadiums are small. They don't have any NFL teams, and the Rogers Centre isn't a true outdoor stadium even with the roof opened. This means that there wouldn't be much variety, which is why I think they leave it to every 5+ years.

sig.png

I don't know what the general consensus is on them, but I really don't like the Flyers' Winter Classic jerseys at all. They just look like a cheap fashion jersey with vintage white. Aside from the shells, the Rags look pretty decent. Lundqvist's pads are pretty nice.

My thoughts exactly. Also, the socks look normal white, anyone else see that?

I agree - the Flyers looked like in the game NHL '93 or '94. I did like the Rangers though - that version of the shield made for a really nice crest. I also was really surprised how much I liked the vintage white - it just looked more "natural" than the real white (based on the few times that a player had something that was real white near something that was vintage white.) It's a little softer on the eyes, and almost made for a color vs color effect. It wouldn't work for everyone, but it was nice yesterday.

Here is a photo I snapped during the alumni game showing both logos used. Interesting Flyers Alumni logo there, but the Rangers keep it sweet and simple.

img0082km.jpg

That's actually been the Flyers Alumni logo for more than 25 years. They used to have alumni games quite a bit, and the jerseys were the '80s / '90s style but with black body, orange sleeves, and the crest + alumni wordmark on the front.

254.jpg

That should be their 3rd jersey (sans alumni on front, and the back numbers reversed in colors), along with the 80s/90s jerseys.

Why isn't anybody attacking this as a re-color or using the fill tool lol!

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I think they are saving Toronto/Vancouver for the next Heritage Classic(Probably at BC Place or Rogers Centre), I am willing to bet no Canadian team will ever be in the Winter Classic.

I could see the next Winter Classic being in Minnesota or NY at their respective baseball stadiums. Although Minny's baseball stadium is not in St. Paul...

TO could never host an outdoor game at this time of year. We just had snow, then rain (melting most of the snow), and then snow yesterday where I live in the GTA (which apparently is just what TO had).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

TO could never host an outdoor game at this time of year. We just had snow, then rain (melting most of the snow), and then snow yesterday where I live in the GTA (which apparently is just what TO had).

Same problem with Vancouver. The roofs would have to be closed at either venue.

Fingers crossed for Detroit/Toronto in Michigan! Just think of how busy Windsor will get because no one would want to stay south of the boarder lol.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Next year- Detroit v. Toronto at Michigan Stadium. Anything else = NHL FAIL.

Detroit v. Toronto at Comerica Park Ford Field. At least keep the game in an NHL city.

Ford Field can seat 80,000 for basketball, so it could probably seat at least 75,000 for hockey.

How would that be a Winter Classic then? Wouldn't it defeat the idea of an "outdoor" game?

Brain cramp. Whoops.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think it would be cool to see an outdoor game in a warm city like LA. It would be a lot harder to maintain, but it would throw a nice new twist on the NHL outdoor game.

Doesn't really fit the 'throwback to the pond days' theme though, so the chances of that happening are basically nonexistant

Manchester-City-icon.png

The Winter Classic is a made for US TV event meaning NBC is only going to want to have the biggest markets and the biggest stars. While New Jersey has Kovalchuk and Parise, neither is really that big of a star like Crosby or Ovechkin and nobody cares about hockey in New Jersey to warrant their inclusion in the game.

Eat a dick...

The Devils will eventually get into a Winter Classic, and it's my guess it will be when the Rangers get their home game.

Really?

If they ever do, the game could be in New Jersey and the whole place would still be full of Rangers fans.

Archived