NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

Contrasting nameplates: moronic. Not just ugly, but flat-out moronic.

To each his own. I love 'em.

Agreed. I'm a fan of the contrasting nameplates for the Flyers. It's a quirky little design that the Flyers have seemed to adopt and embrace.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted this in the "unpopular opinion" thread, but I love the Flyers current uni set and everything about them. They don't need an alternate, and neither do the Rangers (especially one that's that bad)

That's an unpopular opinion around here? :P

I do agree, though. The Flyers have my favorite uniforms in the league (even though I think that the WC sweaters were "meh" at best), and the Rangers are near the top in terms of quality as well. No need to mess with a perfect formula.

No, liking the Flyers uniforms isn't an unpopular opinion, but I also love the little quirks. Contrasting nameplates, sleeve numbers wider than the yoke, captaincy patches the same color as the base color of the jersey, etc.

Contrasting nameplates: moronic. Not just ugly, but flat-out moronic.

To each his own. I love 'em.

I like everything BUT the numbers being wider than the yoke, that drives me nuts.

No, liking the Flyers uniforms isn't an unpopular opinion, but I also love the little quirks. Contrasting nameplates, sleeve numbers wider than the yoke, captaincy patches the same color as the base color of the jersey, etc.

You just mentioned all the things I hate about the set. It's the perfect example of "Retro for Retro's Sake." All of those design elements look tacky and lazy yet were brought back simply to cash in on the throwback fad. That being said I'll take them over those atrocious rags they came out with during the Edge rollout any day.

You just mentioned all the things I hate about the set. It's the perfect example of "Retro for Retro's Sake." All of those design elements look tacky and lazy yet were brought back simply to cash in on the throwback fad. That being said I'll take them over those atrocious rags they came out with during the Edge rollout any day.

That's why I posted that in the unpopular opinions thread. I don't know why, but I really like those quirks. Just a thing.

spacer.png

The only reason this set is even given a pass, is because it was once worn. If this current Philly set came out as a brand new design, it would be considered quite possibly the worst set in the NHL. There is nothing about this set to like except the use of orange as a main color. Admit it, all those who love it, you only love it because it was originally worn by the team, but if you take that out of it, it's horrible!

The only reason this set is even given a pass, is because it was once worn. If this current Philly set came out as a brand new design, it would be considered quite possibly the worst set in the NHL. There is nothing about this set to like except the use of orange as a main color. Admit it, all those who love it, you only love it because it was originally worn by the team, but if you take that out of it, it's horrible!

Very true.The only reason I give them a pass for the nameplate is because of its history. Had the Isles gone with one on their black monstrosities, it would've looked even worse. Soon enough a wannabe vintage team is gonna make a fauxback with a contrasting nameplate in an attempt to fit in. Just watch.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Very true.The only reason I give them a pass for the nameplate is because of its history. Had the Isles gone with one on their black monstrosities, it would've looked even worse. Soon enough a wannabe vintage team is gonna make a fauxback with a contrasting nameplate in an attempt to fit in. Just watch.

136378140.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA3022360EF7A2CBF6BB6F4489EB755F2269F671AEC7664128

The only reason this set is even given a pass, is because it was once worn.

When was this? I can't find one example of the contrasting nameplate being used on NHLuniforms.com

If this current Philly set came out as a brand new design, it would be considered quite possibly the worst set in the NHL. There is nothing about this set to like except the use of orange as a main color. Admit it, all those who love it, you only love it because it was originally worn by the team, but if you take that out of it, it's horrible!

Exactly. I don't understand for the life of me why they don't just bring back the cup jerseys. Those didn't have the contrasting nameplate or (correct me if I'm wrong) the issue with sleeve numbers. I guess it would make too much sense.

When was this? I can't find one example of the contrasting nameplate being used on NHLuniforms.com

Before names on the backs of jerseys were made mandatory league-wide, the NHL's American network TV contract required teams to wear player names during all nationally-televised games. Many teams add and remove the nameplates on a game-to-game basis, believing that wearing names full-time would cut into the sales of game programs. The Flyers, rather than make nameplates for both of their jerseys, made one set - black lettering on white material - and sewed them onto either their white or orange jerseys as needed.

So for several games, the Flyers did wear orange jerseys with contrasting nameplates. The black nameplates on the white jerseys, however, are just a fauxback contrivance.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If this current Philly set came out as a brand new design, it would be considered quite possibly the worst set in the NHL. There is nothing about this set to like except the use of orange as a main color. Admit it, all those who love it, you only love it because it was originally worn by the team, but if you take that out of it, it's horrible!

Exactly. I don't understand for the life of me why they don't just bring back the cup jerseys. Those didn't have the contrasting nameplate or (correct me if I'm wrong) the issue with sleeve numbers. I guess it would make too much sense.

Contrasting nameplates are a quirky little story from the Flyers' first cup run in 1974. At the time, teams could wear names on the back of jerseys at home, and on the road with permission of the home team (primarily to satisfy Toronto, but that's a different story).

Then, as hockey became more common on television, the league started requiring that both teams wear names on the back for nationally televised games (I believe on NBC). This became the rule for the playoffs: every team wears names, home and road, to satisfy television audiences.

The Flyers didn't have names for their road jerseys, but had names for their home whites. So, because they had no other option, they stitched the white nameplates onto the orange jerseys and ran with that, as seen in the photos below (look at the bottom player), or Dave Schultz

ap7404140167.jpgDaveSchultz_JonVanBoxmeer.jpg

And so, that little quirk is downright awesome to bring back for their orange jerseys, and I'm all for it.

However, the black nameplates are completely invented, they have no history, it's about consistency and making contrasting nameplates "a Flyers thing". That, I find dumb.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I blame these for the revisionists who put contrasting nameplates on so many throwback concepts and actual fauxback jerseys (Buffalo).

19494.jpg

That one of the most famous and iconic hockey jerseys ever worn used a contrasting nameplate makes it seem like that was more common on sweaters of that era when it really wasn't that prevalent.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The one thing I find odd about this conversation, is that not a single person has spoken positively about the Flyers' Edge jerseys. For most teams, there were a few positive things, or a small but vocal minority claims they liked them. Not in this case.

Was anybody a fan of those?

I don't love it, and I dislike throwbacks in general, but I think this is a huge exaggeration. Other than the contrasting nameplates (which rightfully get criticized), it's not a bad uniform. The sleeve stripes should be wider to accommodate the numbers (if not for the throwback nature) but there's nothing (besides the nameplate) egregiously wrong from a design perspective. Even if they were brand new today, there would certainly be worse looks in the league. Even keeping in mind that this is all subjective, I wouldn't imagine anyone ranking the Flyers set in the bottom third right now, let alone worst.

They did have the issue with the sleeve numbers. Double digit numbers that didn't contain a 1 overlapped (and in some pics, even some others overlapped due to manufacturing inconsistencies.)

I think it'd be better if they used their true vintage "burnt" orange, as opposed to the fluorescent color that they went with. The contrasting nameplates are almost necessary on the orange sweater due to the brightness of the orange. Black letters would look rec league, leaving white with a black outline as the only solution, but at that point, they would be defeating the point of going with throwbacks at all (which IMO would have been a good thing, but whatever.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't get why everyone is hating on the Flyers nameplates. I think they look pretty nice. The one thing I would change would be to fix the sleeve stripe so the number fits completely inside. However, Philly and Buffalo's third should be the only jerseys that have the off colour nameplates.

The one thing I find odd about this conversation, is that not a single person has spoken positively about the Flyers' Edge jerseys. For most teams, there were a few positive things, or a small but vocal minority claims they liked them. Not in this case.

EH I thought they were a downgrade of the jerseys they replaced

6100PHI.jpg

what? you dont mean those? thats what I think when one says flyers edge jerseys since thats what they had at first with reebok.

6100PHI.jpg

what? you dont mean those? thats what I think when one says flyers edge jerseys since thats what they had at first with reebok.

Yeah, those. I hated essentially all of the original Edge jerseys, but for every one, there always seem to be a few people in love with them. With the exception of the last comment, I don't think I've heard anybody say that about these ones, and I find that amusing.

I blame these for the revisionists who put contrasting nameplates on so many throwback concepts and actual fauxback jerseys (Buffalo).

19494.jpg

That one of the most famous and iconic hockey jerseys ever worn used a contrasting nameplate makes it seem like that was more common on sweaters of that era when it really wasn't that prevalent.

I've always wondered...what is the font called that was used for the NOB on the USA '80 hockey jerseys?

6100PHI.jpg

Absolutely hideous. Those sleeves looked particularly ridiculous from the sides.

19494.jpg

I've always wondered...what is the font called that was used for the NOB on the USA '80 hockey jerseys?

I thought it was Stahl's Pro Block

http://www.stahls.com/stahls/content/images/styles/PreCut/jpgs/StandardStyles-ProBlock-LG.jpg

StandardStyles-ProBlock-LG.jpg

1392799.jpg

Archived